“NOT impressed! Will NOT recommend...”

Clarion by Choice Hotel and Conference Centre
Ranked #85 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Banff, Canada
“NOT impressed! Will NOT recommend...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2012

I was referred to this hotel by a couple of friends. Had a stopover in Calgary and a few hours between flights, so I preferred not to spend the night at the airport. I booked the Radisson so I could at least get some sleep. Check-in was efficient at 10:15 PM, which was expected, as I was checked-in by the manager on duty. Since I had to be at the airport at 5 am, I requested a wake-up call at 4 am and the shuttle to the airpor at 4:30 am this was immediately input in their wake-up call system and on their wake-up call sheet and confirmed by the Duty Manager out loud.
When I got to the room I changed into my swimming trunks, as I wanted to give the pool and hot tub. I called the front desk to ask where the pool was and I had to repeat myself 4 times until I was understood, as the person on the phone seemed to have very basic English skills. I tried to access the pool and my key card did not work... Lost valuable time here!
Went to the front desk to inquire and the person at the desk coded a key for himself and told me he would come. They were not busy, but the phone rang and he prioritized answering it. Considering the pool was ope. Until 11 PM and it was already 10:30 PM, a little more urgency would have been appreciated. I gave the night audit guy "the look," and only then did he put the call on hold and come help me. He apologized in a dry tone and asked me for my key. He swiped my card in a quick strong, by some even perceived as agressive motion. My card worked with him when he tried it. I had tried 3 times and it didn't! This made me look stupid, and the guy gave me a look as if wanting me to know he had wasted important time at the desk to come help me.
The morning of departure I received a call at 4:30 am. The desk agent asked me if I was going to take the shuttle. I said yes, at 4:30 am. Considering it was already 4:30 am, and they had missed my wake-up call, I had to ask him to tell the shuttle to wait.
I rushed to pack my things, and did not get to shower, nor shave as I had planned,prior to a long intercontinental flight.
When I got to the front desk to check out 10 minutes later and made the agent aware that I wasn't impressed they had missed my wake-up call, the guest agent said: "Well, we had your wake-up call for 5:30 am." I did not want to argue at that point as I just wanted to get to YYC, but I wondered how the heck they managed to screw this up! It had been verbally confirmed to me and I had seen the guy put it in the system and log it the night before... Seemed like a no brainer to me, but apparently not for them!
The gentleman in security uniform who happened to also be our shuttle driver did not make me feel welcome either. He approached the desk agent and asked him: "Is this the guy I am waiting for?" He really made an effort to make me feel bad, as if "I" was late!
The shuttle was full and I got angry looks from other guests who had to wait because of me. The driver then sped away, and I, and I believe none of us passengers felt safe, because he was driving fast.
I confirmed with the driver I was flying American and he dropped me off at Air Canada. Considering I have just recently had knee surgery, I did not appreciate the distance I had to walk to get to the appropriate check-in counter.
Room was clean, flat screen TV and amenities were appreciated. Check-in was fast and the manager was professional and friendly; however, considering the overall experience and the price I paid, I would have been better off spending the night at the airport, instead of this hotel.

• Stayed January 2012
2 Thank Gazpacho16
MgrRadissonCalgary, General Manager at Clarion by Choice Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this review, 2 February 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share. I am disappointed to hear that we did not leave you with a feeling of appreciation. In general, we receive wonderful feedback in regards to our caring and efficient team members, and apologize for error in regards to your wake-up call. I am happy to hear that this did not delay you to your flight. We have a wonderful facility and provide great value for travelers. I am certain that given the opportunity, we can appeal to your needs, as we have to your friends.
Please feel free to contact me personally, and I would be happy to discuss with you.

Marcel Berube

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
AUS
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2012

We stayed for one night . Room and staff met our expectations . We arrived late at night and departed early in the morning. So can not tell much of the surroundings.
The room was clean and spacious, the bed very comfortable.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PeterXAus
Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

Dated and in desperate need of upgrades. The rooms are very dark (ugly brown drapes) and the air conditionning unit will make you feel like you are sleeping next to a Mac truck.

I was recently at the hotel and this was the sight in the lobby (see pictures). I asked what was going on and was told by reception that a certain group of people needed to check-out by noon and they had nowhere to put their suitcases. Those pictures speaks for themselves !

• Stayed January 2012
3 Thank yorom
MgrRadissonCalgary, General Manager at Clarion by Choice Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this review, 24 January 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write. I am sorry to hear that you did not feel our hotel decor was to your liking. We work hard to stand behind our 100% Guest Satisfaction Guarantee, ensuring that our guests receive great value in a safe, comfortable and clean environment.

In regards to the luggage storage in the lobby, we do have a monthly conference which prefers to have their delegates place these with easy access to main entrance, otherwise we absolutely offer discrete storage. We have have accepted this practice on two particular days per month, due to this request and the significant volume.

Once again, thank you for sharing, and hope that we have an opportunity to provide our great service to you in the future, and would be happy to work with you on a future visit. Feel free to contact me at any time.

Burlington, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2012

Hotel was in a decent location. Found it to be very central and well located to get downtown and around for business. Hotels downtown sell out frequently - if you're looking for something decent at a good value - this would be worth trying.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Z Z
MgrRadissonCalgary, General Manager at Clarion by Choice Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this review, 10 January 2012
Thank you for sharing your feelings in regards to our hotel. We are proud to be able to offer convenience and excellent value to our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you in the future!

Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

I had the opportunity to stay at the Calgary Raddison Airport between Christmas 2011 and the new year . Here is my take:

Location - Exceptional. Parking everywhere

Front Desk: Friendly staff, however, less than attentive and not the sharpest, especially when dealing with on the phone

Lobby: Immaculate and the best feature of the hotel

Room: I had a room with 2 queen size beds - heating ventalation cooling absolutely deplorable. According to the front desk, the Bldg chiller was apparently turned off and rooms along the south side of the bldg were stifling. So much that a fan was brought to our room as an attempt to move some air. Sleep and comfort in the room was impossible!!

The bathroom was about 10 square feet! Okay if you are 100lbs or less!!

Restaurant: Quite good with good food and good service!

Amenitie areas: Fitness center/business center were used by my family and they found them to be good

Because of the ventalation/cooling issue.......our stay in the room was poor and a restful nights sleep was difficult.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank DJRCanada
MgrRadissonCalgary, General Manager at Clarion by Choice Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this review, 9 January 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share, and we are sorry to hear that you did not manage to get a good nights sleep. December proved to be an above average month for temperatures, and while we chose to perform our chiller upgrade during the winter, once commenced, we could not reverse this decision, in order to accommodate for the warmer weather.
Please contact me personally, and I would be happy to discuss this in regards to a future stay from us.
We are please to advise that this project is due to be completed by the end of this week, and appreciate your patience and understanding.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2012

I was here for a business trip and had a 2 day road show so also used the conference facilities and the trade show room.
THe room was great and comfortable, although i spent almost no time there except sleeping and showering.
THe conference rooms are great and we were catered for and served great meals from 7am through to 9pm. Unsure of the price, but it is a very good place to stay, their restaurant has a great selection of food that tastes very good too and they also made it pretty fast.
Location is good if you need to be near the airport, but otherwise i think its pretty far away from all the Calgary sight seeing stuff.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Penpen5
MgrRadissonCalgary, General Manager at Clarion by Choice Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this review, 6 January 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We work very hard to ensure we provide great value and deliver on our promise for great accommodations and premiere meetings. Your comments are welcomed and will certainly resonate to our team members.

Thank you once again, and look forward to being of service in the future.

Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2011

We got a really good deal online and were upgraded for free when we got here. We stayed at a Radisson before and hated the sleep number bed but this time it wasn't so bad. Maybe we were just too exhausted after a 17 hour day of flights and taxis to care! haha The restaurant was already closed when we got there at 10 so had to run out for takeout. The bathroom is small and outdated. You have to stand in between the toilet and sink to close the door behind you... tight squeeze for even the average person.

Didn't use any other amenities so can't comment on those... just a quick sleeping stop before heading home.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank HatRez
Thank you for sharing! We are pleased that you received great value for such a short stay. We know our washrooms are a bit small, but rest assured that we are committed to being there for you at every turn throughout the hotel.

Thanks again, and we look forward to welcoming you on your next trip.