“Had a nice stay here”

Clarion by Choice Hotel and Conference Centre
Ranked #88 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We stayed here three nights July 2013. Just trying to get rid of jet-lag and visit Stampede. We had nothing to complain, just a nice stay. Rooms were clean and quiet. I enjoyed cafe downstairs, loved to sit in lobby and drink morning coffee while reading newspapers. We did not have a breakfast or any other meals in the hotel. There was plenty of parking space available, and good connections to the HW:s.

Room Tip: HW can be little bit noisy during rush-hours, if possible try to get a room from backside of the hot...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Jason S, Front Office Manager at Clarion by Choice Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Dear traveler,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Clarion Hotel. We appreciate your comments and look forward to welcoming you back!

Kind regards

Reviewed 4 January 2014

This property has been mismanaged in the past, probably due to a lack of reinvestment in the infrastructure, & a shortage of employees. The last time I stayed there, there was one employee working in the bar & restaurant & she was overloaded, & unable to handle all of the clientele. I therefore had to travel to another restaurant outside the property. The room was clean & spacious, & staff were friendly. The rate was acceptable in October 2013, However, in December, it was double, therefore I had to choose another Hotel Chain "the BW Port of Call" which was well staffed, clean, & reasonably priced.

Room Tip: Lower floors are probably the best in terms of maintenance.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear traveler,

Thank you for taking the time to reveiw our hotel. Your comments are appreciated. We hope that you are able to join us again in the future.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

After deciding to stay in Calgary after a Flames game due to road conditions we found this hotel at a decent rate on Priceline. Upon arrival, we drove around a snowy parking lot for approximately 20 minutes to find a spot (that we managed to snag after someone left). We received the key to our room and much to our dismay the housekeeper was still vacuuming our room when we entered. We then turned down the sheets to settle in for the night and spotted multiple hairs on the supposed clean sheets. As this was completely unacceptable, we called down to inform the front desk and they told us that someone would come up to our room to present us with another key to another room. The man who brought the key seemed to have no idea what he was doing and just kind of left us as he was confused. Once again, we tried to settle in for the night and much to our dismay found more hairs on the sheets in the second room. Appalled, we made our way down to the front desk to inform them that there was hair again in the second bed. The man who we spoke with seemed rather annoyed that we were complaining and said, "I will just come up there and take the hair off for you myself". Thankfully, an acting manager came out at this time and the rude man said, " They want to change rooms... again" in a very insulting manner. The acting manager did apologize for the unacceptable conditions and offered us yet another room. You can guess what happened next.... more hair on the THIRD bed. We called down to the front desk and asked to have the acting manager come up to see for himself. This gentleman came up with another man and saw the conditions of the bed and offered us a FOURTH room.... which as you can imagine, we declined. We are usually not fussy travellers and can make due in many conditions, but finding short, curly hair all over 3 beds in a span of an hour maybe is pretty disgusting.
On the plus side, the manager did not hesitate to give us a full refund.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel. Check your sheets before doing anything.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BPL1986

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to reveiw our hotel. Your comments although not the best are appreciated.

I would like to apologize on behalf of the team here at the Clarion. There is no excuse for finding hairs in your bed. We strive for every room to be as clean as possible and we do have a great housekeeping team. Comments like this are not very common but when we do get them they are taken seriously. We have spoke with the team member in which cleaned your room and used this as a training tool for the rest of the team. This also includes how the front desk dealt with the situation.

Situations like yours are not acceptable and once again I apologize. We hope that you are able to give us a second chance, so that we can show you we are better than that!

Reviewed 16 December 2013

The Calgary Clarion has a park-sleep-fly package where you can stay one night and get 2 weeks free parking (and a decent rate thereafter). I left my car for 4 weeks and when I returned found that they re-striped the parking lot and I had yellow paint all over my car. I filed a claim and was told by Amy Welder, the Front Office Manager, to get quotes to have the paint removed. After I submitted the quotes, she said that I should "go ahead with the lower quote and have your car repaired as soon as possible. Once you have received a final payment receipt, please email to our General Manager, Assan Amadin at: aamadin@clarioncalgary.com and we will coordinate re-payment to you." I submitted the claim to him on 8/29/2013. When I received no response, I emailed again on 11/18/2013. It is now 12/16/2013. Still no response. You can not trust this company to follow through on claims. Park at your own risk.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank mseifert9
Reviewed 3 December 2013

We recently stayed at this hotel on our way home from Mexico. When we arrived at the airport we called the hotel to request their shuttle service. We were told that the shuttle would be at the airport in 15-20 minutes. After 30 minutes we called again and were told that the driver was in traffic and should be there in 5-10 minutes. After 15 more minutes we called again and were told that there must have been a mix-up and that the driver would be there shortly. So finally after 50 minutes the shuttle arrived. He tried to give us a song and dance about the construction around the airport and how he had to go the long way around. It took us less than 20 minutes to get to the Clarion and the next morning it also took less than 20 minutes to get back to the airport. The hotel itself was less than average and the heating system in the room was very noisy. Since it took so long to get to the hotel and we had to get up early to get back to the airport, the noise didn't allow for us to get much sleep.

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Doris F
Jason S, Front Office Manager at Clarion by Choice Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Dear Guest,

My sincere apologizes that your stay was not a comfortable one. Airport shuttle times can very from time to time, all depending on traffic, time of day, time of call and weather. We do try our best to be at the airport within 20 - 30 minutes and I realize this day we failed. I have passed your comments on to our shuttle drivers and we have used this as a training tool. We certainly appreciate your comments.

Reviewed 22 November 2013

This hotel is discusting it has an odour that is unbelievable. I could not sleep because of it. I ordered a jacuzzi suite. I had to move twice since the staff didnt no what room that was. The refrigerator must have not been cleaned in years the stench made me gag. Honestly would have been better off in a tent . Nastyyyyyyyy

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank susu187
Jason S, Front Office Manager at Clarion by Choice Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Dear Valued guest:

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I apologize for the issues you encountered during your stay, making it a less than perfect experience. We take your comments seriously and we have addressed your concerns with the appropriate departments.

Reviewed 16 November 2013

This hotel came up on hotwire as equal to the holiday inn across the street. This hotel is far inferior, we stayed in both to and from our Mexican vacation. In the Clarion the wall paper was peeling, the carpets old, stained and outdated. And the beds should have been replaced a long time ago. There are impressions in the mattress were bodies have compressed the mattress. The airport shuttle was a 20min wait and then took us on a tour to the private airport. The driver was texting while driving! The front lobby is nice but the receptionist was a little confused and we took at least 15 min to check in. If you are on a budget cross the street and stay at the holiday inn!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wendy P
Jason S, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion by Choice Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I am very sorry that this was the experience you had while staying with us. This is not our usual standard and I can assure you that I have reviewed your feedback with our team so that we may improve. Once again my sincere apologies and we hope that you will try us again and give us an opportunity to provide you and your family with a better experience. Our hotel is also under new ownership and they have plans to have our hotel fully renovated within the next 18 months. We are looking forward to this and hope that you will come back to see us after these changes have taken place.
Kind regards