“Stolen Items”

Ranked #84 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Regina, Canada
“Stolen Items”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Arrived friday night, carried our luggage up to our room. Slept. Headed out the next day to a volleyball tournament my daughter was playing in. While at the tournament, one of the other parents asked if we'd brought our 'valuables' with us. When I asked why, he said, 'look on Trip Advisor, there are several reviews on there that say people are having things stolen from their rooms!'. We had our phones, wallets, ipad with us, so I didn't think much of it. When we got back to the hotel, my wife tried to find her backpack that contained a couple of jackets, her passport and the keys for my truck (which was back home in Saskatchewan). The bag was gone. There's no question that it was there the night before. We reported it to the front desk and the guy basically shrugged his shoulders and asked what I thought he should do about it. It was like talking to a wall. When I escalated the intensity of the conversation, he said he'd make a note of it and pass it along to the manager. He basically argued with me in a tone like this, "Why would we want your stuff? Nobody was in your room. Only housekeeping would go in there and they wouldn't take it.". You've got to be kidding me....On a positive note, the guy my wife has been dealing with after the fact (Lucas) has been very helpful. I don't know at this point if we'll get to a satisfactory solution, but it seems someone is at least listening.

Room Tip: Stay someplace where an issue is met with a solution...not an argument or denial. There's obvio...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

This hotel obviously has a serious problem.I had left my jewerly bag beside the coffee maker when we checked out. As soon as we remembered the forgotten item we called the hotel. The first person we spoke to said nothing had been returned and that there was no one else to speak to. We called the next day and again they said there was nothing we could do and that housekeeping were the only people that had been in the room after us. We asked to speak to a manager and were told a manager was not available. It is quite apparent at this time that I will not be getting my jewerly back but hope that further travellers will chose other accommodations by reading this review. It is also my hope that upper management of this hotel chain might investigate some serious issues within this hotel.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank angelaernie
Jason S, General Manager at Clarion by Choice Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Hi Angela,
I thank you for your feedback, as can see from other feedbacks we were victim of break-ins. this is not a reflection of our hotel, to prevent this from happening again, we have taken the following steps

A)The police have been involved and there is an ongoing investigation. For the record everyone who works at the clarion has been cleared.
B)We have changed our procedure and policy
C)We have installed a brand new camera system for the hotel and Parking Lot.

Again, we apologize for this uncomfortable incident. We value your patronage and will work hard to regain your trust

Assan Amadin
Clarion Hotel and Conference Centre
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 24 April 2014

I checked into the hotel at approximately 11pm on the night of 3/5/14. When I left early the next morning for meetings I left some items in my suitcase which was left on a valet stand. I specifically closed the suitcase and laid my sleeping clothes on top of it. I left the room with the the suitcase closed, but not zipped.

I was gone the entire day. I returned to my room at approximately 6pm and upon arrival found a dirty towel just behind the door. I assumed it was left behind by housekeeping. I went to my suitcase to get something and slowly started to realize that things were not how I left them. First, it looked as though the items inside had been shifted around. There were some toiletries which were double-bagged when I left, but now were only in one shopping bag. It began to dawn on me that I had left my digital camera and some other electronics in the suitcase, and that they were missing. I immediately called the front desk who had the cleaning supervisor come and tell me that she was part of the crew that cleaned my room, but that she cleaned the bathroom only. She said that this has never happened before.

The night manager spoke to me as well and repeated that they’ve never had an incident such as this. I can say that in my 20 years of traveling I’ve never had items stolen from my room either. The hotel’s “investigation” was that their interrogation of the room lock showed the only access to be from the maid and from myself when I returned in the evening. They accepted no responsibility for either hiring thieves who took items or for someone’s incompetence at leaving my door open for someone else to steel my property. Too bad like better hotels they have no cameras in the hallways for security. Take a chance if you want the savings, but don’t leave anything behind in your room that you value.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else if you value your things and your safety.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Ray L
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights during a seminar. The rooms were comfy and well maintained and the bed was comfortable.

The staff were great and allowed our group to use the entire property as well as the lobby late into the night.

The only complaint for me is the size of the fitness room, as well as the pool temperature. Was very cold.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Shelby, Montana
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 2 days. No heat the first night and bathroom light didn't work the first night. second night had a little heat and the light was not changed. Maybe it was the ballast. Hot water was slow to get hot. No microwaves or refrigerators in rooms. All in all this property is in dire need of amenities and repair. My room had 2" of duct tape around the window seal. The guest service was great! Rooms were clean as well.The employees must put up with a lot of building complaints. Ownership is lucky to have the two people they have working behind the bar. The bartender actually was taking food to the rooms one night and the bartender was doing the work of two people the other night.

As a general manager of a participating brand of Choice, Management & Ownership need to get their act together or they are going to lose good people as well as guests. I would agree that lobby area is attractive with the new furniture, but it is a big let down when you get to your room and it is not functioning properly. I'm sorry but I think no problem as important as heat in the rooms is out of the facilities control! If that had happened in my facility, the proper contacts would have called to fix the problem no matter the time or expense. Excellent guest service is priority #1 and Management should look at better scheduling and ownership should prioritize capital expenditures. You have great employees, give them the help and the tools necessary to do their jobs effectively PLEASE!! This could be one of the best places in town if that happens.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Steve B
Calgary, AB
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Hotel was booked for a hockey tournament. We arrived to a room with NO HEAT! When we complained we were told they "will turn the boiler on"?! We got in trouble for noise (ya think....14/15 year old hockey boy) and NICK couldn't be ruder and told us we were unreasonable and not welcome back! With a hotel at 47% occupancy, why would you put another guest in a room beside a hockey team, out them on another floor or put hockey team on main floor! Guess what Nick.....won't come back and definitely won't recommend!!!!

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Rella_9
Jason S, Front Office Manager at Clarion by Choice Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear Rella_9,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your most recent stay. Your comments are of value to us so that we can grow to be a better team and hotel.

I understand that we had some mechanical issues during your stay that affected the heating system. I certainly apologize for this. It was a matter that was out of our control and we had an engineer in immediately once we were made aware of the situation.

When we are blocking for a group arrival or multiple rooms we do try and isolate or block in a group so that everyone is on the same floor. Regardless of occupancy we are not always able to block only the group or individuals on floor to themselves. We hope that all guests regardless of why they are at the hotel to respect everyone around them. Hotel is obligated to respond to all noise complaints and handle the situation. I do apologize on behalf of my team if the situation was not handled correctly. I will use this opportunity to coach Nick on how to better deal with the situation should a similar situation occur.

Thank you once again for your comments.
Kind regards,
Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

Overnighted here, place seems a bit tired and grimy set within a light industrial wasteland. Restaurant food was reasonable but pricey. Bed was comfortable but HVAC was super noisy, and other guests didn't help with yelling and banging in the middle of the night.

Won't be back.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Xiaojake
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, your comments is greatly appreciated.
We also realize that the hotel is could use some updating. We are in the process of ordering new lobby furniture. Currently we have the sample set in our lobby and it looks fantastic. This will certainly update our lobby area. Rooms are also on the list to update. We are committed to replacing the drapes in the rooms and all linen and towels. We have also currently replaced 30 rooms with new mattress. It’s an ongoing process but we are aware and hope to have it completed by the end of 2014.

We have serviced the HVAC system in your room and it’s not working great. We thank you for bringing this to our attention. Without your comment this may have affected other guests.
Kind regards,