“Lovely experience”

Clarion by Choice Hotel and Conference Centre
Ranked #86 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the clarion for two nights in the middle of May with my husband and little baby. I was quite worried after reading all the horrible reviews but I was very pleasantly surprised.
The front desk staff were absolutely fantastic. They never let an opportunity to help me pass by. They were prompt, pleasant and very helpful.
The hotel pool is quite nice with lots of towels and a Jacuzzi. Their lobby is very large which was a huge help for my restless toddler. We spent the first few hours of each day crawling around the lobby.
The location is wonderful - just minutes from downtown, the zoo, the science Centre, and several other attractions.
The only thing I didn't love were the old carpets but not enough to earn such bad reviews.
I would visit there again!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Gigi M
Clarion Hotel C, Manager at Clarion by Choice Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Dear Gigi M,

Thank you for your lovely and honest experience review from your most current stay with us.

We do appreciate your business and we are glad to hear you had a good stay and happy to be a part of your enjoyable experience.

We hope to have you as our guest again soon and let us know how we did again then!

There are newer reviews for Clarion by Choice Hotel and Conference Centre

Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

After staying at the Clarion for four nights, I was very pleased to fund that despite it's age, the hotel is very clean and well maintained. But what made my stay as pleasant as it was, was the staff. The main desk staff were always polite and courteous. This even when I locked myself out of my room, without missing a beat they issued me a new card and didn't make me feel like I was bothering them. The maintenance staff is also to be mentioned; I interrupted the maintenance personnel on staff, one day to fix a fridge that turned out to only be unplugged. Hubert was very professional and courteous, all without making me feel bad about calling him in for nothing. The bar staff, Michelle was amazing and I she always made me feel welcome and at home. All and all a great stay :)

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Jason S, Manager at Clarion by Choice Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Dear Alice C,

Thank you for taking your time to give us a great review about our hotel and the staff.

I will let Michelle and Hubert know to look at your review as well. I am sure this will put a great smile on both of them.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Booked this hotel on their own website. It was a family suite with bunk beds for my kids and a master bedroom. A few days before our arrival, we received an email confirming our booking as well as the reserved family suite. I even prepaid the full amount to save $20 off the rate. We arrived about 11pm to check in and they said "so you just need a king bed right?" I said "no we booked a family suite with bunk beds for my kids and a king bed for my wife and me..." He replied "I'm sorry but we are fully booked. All we have is a room with a king bed." It didn't matter that I had the confirmation number and email of my booking. Being late, I was willing to compromise. I asked if they could put two cots in the king room for my two kids. First they said they didn't have two cots and then they said the room could only fit 1 cot. Finally I said "well if you can't even provide enough sleeping spots for the four of us I guess you'll have to give me my money back so I can try to find another hotel." Amazingly, the desk worker refused to refund me because I prepaid the amount. I argued that I paid for something that they couldn't provide. Still no refund. Instead I had to phone back the next day and have a similar conversation with the manager before getting my money back.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank peesoreamer
Jason S, Manager at Clarion by Choice Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear peesoreamer,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your most recent stay. Your comments are of value to us so that we can grow to be a better team and hotel.

On behalf of our entire team, I really apologize what happened with your room and at your check-in. I am surprised that family suite was not reserved for you and you booked through our own website. I will definitely investigate further on this matter and I truly am sorry.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

Stayed here for one-night recently.

Checked in late afternoon, and I was the only guest at the front desk.
Two agents were there, but didn't really acknowledge me until after a couple minutes on their computers/walking to the back.
Finally one of them asks if I'm checking in (yes, of course), and he says I'll get someone to help you...though that was wierd, as he had to come in the back room to get someone, when him and another person were there...?
Not the most welcoming/friendly check-in/greeting for new guests to your hotel....

The room itself was pretty decent.
Main room area was pretty large, with a queen bed and full sofa/table. However, the bathroom was a quite tight (you can really only have one person in there at a time to use it comfortably). There is also a nice balcony/sliding door.
Only real complaint I have about the room was the cleanliness of the furniture (ie. sofa, tables, chair) - could definitely do a better job there, as there was quite a bit of dust (and some small stains) around.

It's location is probably the hotel's best asset - being located roughly 'midway' between downtown Calgary and the airport. Other than during rush hour, it's a (quick) 10 min drive to/from either location.
Sunridge Mall (shopping) is an easy 5 min drive away.

Overall the room and especially location (!) make this hotel a consideration for a solid stay.
Unfortunately, the service (or seemingly lack there of) from the front desk staff upon arrival/check-in left a longer lasting 'negative' impression for me.
With better and more welcoming service (training?), hotel would definitely jump up a notch in terms of rating/satisfaction.

---

If you're looking for a well-located 'central' hotel in Calgary, without being right downtown, then this would be a decent choice for you. Otherwise, I would have to recommend other Calgary hotels before I would the Clarion (ie. Delta, Westin, Radisson YYC, etc.).

* If this review was helpful for you, please take a quick second and hit the "review was helpful" button. Very much appreciated - Thanks for reading, happy travels! *

Room Tip: - If you want a 'view', ask for a room facing south. If so, you will be looking toward 16th...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Ryan T

Dear Ryan T,

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations and especially not acknowledging you right away at check-in. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you provided to make improvements to ensure we offer an exceptional experience for our guests in the future.

Thank you again.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

I stayed here as a place to stay before I had a morning flight. Having stayed in Banff it was too far to get the early transfer so I booked this through last minute as a secret hotel. It was comfortable, clean, and quiet and I had a good short night's sleep, but in honesty I was only there for 7 hours! The pick up and drop off was really efficient. So it served its purpose well.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Sheridanslack
Jason S, Manager at Clarion by Choice Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear Sheridanslack,

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your comments.
I am very glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

I hope you will come and stay with us again when you are back in Calgary.

Thank you.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

This place sucks. First off I called them travelling from Banff on the airport shuttle. I told them when I would be at the airport and asked that I be picked up. They informed me that I must call them from a special yellow phone mounted to a specific pole and that they would send someone to pick me up. It will take approximately 20 mins. to arrive. Thanks for the customer service.

So I wind up wasting that time and I get picked up by a very nice man in the Clarion airport shuttle. This guy is the slowest driver I've ever seen. He is a hazard on the road. I arrive and check in. The guy's checking in are nice enough, but seem to be dumber than a bunch of rocks. I asked for directions to a place I can purchase a phone charger and would never have arrived had I not stopped and asked directions at the liquor store directly behind the hotel.

Okay, so I call for a wake up call at 5 AM. It's now 4:49 and I've been awake for 49 minutes. Thanks for not even being able to tell time.

Customer service is the most important thing to me. The hotel doesn't stink and has some nice amenities, but the experience was terrible.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Jeffrey_Browning,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to write us a review on your most recent stay with us. Feedback from our guests is very important to us and your input helps with our continuing efforts to provide excellent service and a great stay.

We are truly sorry and hopefully you will consider staying with us again so that we can have another chance to provide you with a exceptional service and the best experience.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Arrived friday night, carried our luggage up to our room. Slept. Headed out the next day to a volleyball tournament my daughter was playing in. While at the tournament, one of the other parents asked if we'd brought our 'valuables' with us. When I asked why, he said, 'look on Trip Advisor, there are several reviews on there that say people are having things stolen from their rooms!'. We had our phones, wallets, ipad with us, so I didn't think much of it. When we got back to the hotel, my wife tried to find her backpack that contained a couple of jackets, her passport and the keys for my truck (which was back home in Saskatchewan). The bag was gone. There's no question that it was there the night before. We reported it to the front desk and the guy basically shrugged his shoulders and asked what I thought he should do about it. It was like talking to a wall. When I escalated the intensity of the conversation, he said he'd make a note of it and pass it along to the manager. He basically argued with me in a tone like this, "Why would we want your stuff? Nobody was in your room. Only housekeeping would go in there and they wouldn't take it.". You've got to be kidding me....On a positive note, the guy my wife has been dealing with after the fact (Lucas) has been very helpful. I don't know at this point if we'll get to a satisfactory solution, but it seems someone is at least listening.

Room Tip: Stay someplace where an issue is met with a solution...not an argument or denial. There's obvio...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family