“Warm staff & 5* Comparable”

Ramada Plaza Calgary Downtown
Ranked #80 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 13 February 2012

Counter staff & manager were very helpful with our multiple queries. Booking of getaways, cars, restaurants, etc.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank 50million

Reviewed 9 February 2012

I stayed at this hotel for two nights starting January 31, 2012. The room was a standard hotel room with 2 double beds. The matresse on the bed I used was comfortable. The room seemed clean, and the standard bathroom looks like it had a makeover in the recent past. The temperature control in the room consisted of a thermostat. Even though the cover could come off, I found it impossible to adjust. The room had no fan control. This may be a problem in hot weather. One of the windows can be opened to let in outside air if desired.

The hotel has two elevators for guests, and I never had to wait very long for one.

On my first afternoon there, I smelled cigarette smoke in the hallway. The second day, the smell was very bad, and seeped into my room, so I went to the front desk and asked the manager if I was on a smoking floor. He said the entire hotel is non-smoking, so I asked him to deal with the problem and let me know what action was taken. I heard nothing and the smoke persisted, so I went back down and asked him what he was going to do. He acknowledged that they checked the floor and smelled the smoke, but said "We can't knock on every door and ask if they were smoking". No doubt the house keepers must know what room(s) reeked of smoke, so I conclude that the management allows smoking in the hotel. If cigarette smoke bothers you, you might want to consider going elsewhere.

The hotel has a basic buffet brreakfast at $14.00, and I found the quality of it to be good, even if the variety was limited. I would recommend it to guests.

There is good, free wi-fi in each room. The signal was reasonably strong.

The front desk clerks were courteous. Other staff have obviously been trained to say 'hello' if they encounter you in the hall or elevators.

I would not consider staying here again for two reasons, the smoking policy and the lack of ability to control room air.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank pictoulight
Reviewed 28 January 2012

New rooms are quite nice and the staff really trys hard to please. I'll be back

Room Tip: try the rooms in teh back of the hotel
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 January 2012

I visit and stay downtown Calgary on a regular basis but have never stayed at the Ramada. This was a quick trip and since we just needed a place to crash for one night, I thought I would save a few dollars and give this hotel a try. Big mistake! Two separate parties on my floor went to 5:00am this morning. Yelling, wrestling, pounding on doors, etc. Repeated calls to the front desk did little to quiet the partiers. I have stayed in hotels around the world from one star to five star and have never complained or asked for an adjustment to my bill, but this was ridiculous! The manager did offer complimentary breakfast, but this hardly offsets paying for a hotel room in which I wasn't actually able to sleep. The hotel itself is fine for a three star. Just be aware that if you want to party to 5:00am and are not concerned with actually sleeping, then this is the place for you. However, if you want to get some sleep and enjoy your time in Calgary then do yourself a favour and spend a few extra dollars. Stay at the Fairmont, Hyatt, Westin, or Sheraton.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kevin S
Reviewed 20 December 2011

I come to Calgary often and Ramada is most convenient to the office. But it's also relatively reasonably priced for the downtown compared to the other hotels, most located on the edges of downtown. Rooms/beds are comfortable in this older hotel. Renovated bathrooms have very little counter space. Only two elevators often leave something to be desired. Staff are very good.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Peter C
Reviewed 6 December 2011

Hotels in Calgary are getting to be so pricey, I was a little nervous about this one, being downtown. But the room was clean, comfortable beds, staff was friendly.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 December 2011

We found the hotel a little dated but the staff and the rooms made up for this. The bus going on to Lake Louise and Banff stops outside the door so no carrying luggage. The staff were great and could'nt do enough for you. If you want what we considered the best and most reasonable priced breakfast in Canada then the Ramada is for you.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple