“Regular Visitor” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #82 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Fernie, Canada
“Regular Visitor”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

I am in Calgary approximately twice per month on business and I always stay at the Ramada Downtown. The reservations staff (Mylene) are very flexible and accomodating to my needs. In addition, the evening parkade attendant (Antonio) front desk and room service (Rose) staff are always friendly and efficient. I have tried other downtown Calgary hotels but always come back to the Ramada for its superior value and service.

1 Thank Grant G
Hotel_Manager_YYC, Manager at Ramada Plaza Calgary Downtown, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
Dear Grant G,

Thank you so much for your excellent comments! We're delighted you continue to make this your home away from home.

We look forward to your return.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

After reading the reviews below I was somewhat sceptical about this hotel. We have a 6 night reservation here and had already discussed changing hotels if we didn't like it. We've been here 2 nights already and we plan to stay. While the comments regarding the front desk staff do seem to be true (not bad service, just decidedly unfriendly - it seems no one here knows how to smile) the rest has been okay so far. We requested a change from 2 double beds to a king and had no problems with that.

We're on the 9th (top) floor and the room, tho certainly nothing spectacular, is a satisfactory, average hotel room. We have a balcony with 2 chairs which was a pleasant surprise and we're hoping the weather warms up enough to sit out with some coffee and enjoy the sights. As far as noise, while no one can do anything about the street noise, the room has been very quiet. I have yet to hear the housekeeping staff out in the hall even when I've walked out the door and seen them cleaning the room next to us.

We had a late breakfast in the dining room today and saw they had what looked to be an okay lunch buffet. Our eggs were cooked perfectly and the home fries were crispy and hot and not at all greasy. My ham was not great - just thin sliced sandwich slices that, when fried, ended up leathery.

So far we're quite happy and would certainly stay here again. Especially considering the prices most hotel rooms cost in downtown Calgary, this one was $100 cheaper. If anything happens to change my opinion I will be reposting to let everyone know.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Hotel_Manager_YYC, Manager at Ramada Plaza Calgary Downtown, responded to this review, 30 March 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your guest experience. We are delighted you found the Ramada to your liking and that our pricepoint was favorable. We have noted your observation regarding the lack of smiles and while we like to pride ourselves on our friendly staff – thank you for reminding us how noticable it is if we are not. Best wishes in all your travels and we hope we may accommodate you again in a future visit to Calgary.
Phoenix,Az
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

The hotel is near the end of the free C-train downtown Calgary, and is across the street from the Plus 15 walkways that keep you out of inclement weather. The rooms were clean. The bed was a tad too hard for me. I found that all over Canada, so it may be their "thing..." Not sure.

The food in the restaurant was decent and the hotel staff was very friendly and helpful.

I have one beef about this Hotel, and it has more to do with the City of Calgary's parking policies. There's no porte cochere or setback for vehicles to drop off and pick up. Apparently the shuttles and taxis have some sort of monthly fee they pay for parking anywhere they like... but a client came to pick me up and take me to the airport at the end of my stay. I was out front waiting for him, so he was on the street for less than 5 minutes loading my baggage and me into his vehicle. I just learned that he got a $40 parking camera violation fine sent to him by mail.

It seems that the Hotel Association, the Visitors Bureau, and the Downtown Association would want to address this nonsense. It is decidedly an unfriendly business and tourism regulation. For a hotel with no setback, it takes a lot of points off the desirability. I would like to be able to meet friends and clients and have them swing by and pick me up without worrying about an overreaching government fine for doing so.

I would like to know how Ramada plans to address this.

1 Thank BT88
Manager7836, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Calgary Downtown, responded to this review, 28 March 2012
Thank you very much for your response and I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I understand your frustration with the parking situation in front of the hotel and have addressed it several times with the City of Calgary parking authority.

The space out front is public space and the city controls all signage and parking stalls. We have asked on several occasions to be lenient with cars parked in front of the hotel and for the parking authority to ask in the lobby if the vehicle belongs to someone registering or being picked up.

Unfortunately we don’t get any support and I would suggest you write the Calgary Parking authority with your views as it may help all of us.

Thanks again and hope to be of service to you again in the near future.
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

I stayed at the Ramada downtown calgary for the weekend to attend a conference. There are some wear and tear but overall, the location was good and the stay was comfortable enough. It was the St.Patrick's weekend so I expected the area to be quite loud and it was. The bellman was very friendly but the reception staff were either not feeling well or just unhappy, couldn't really tell which but the consequence was unfriendly and mumbling service. Personally, I don't even think the price is good for the overall stay but I guess it is compared to other hotel prices. Next time I'm in Calgary, I think I will pay a few dollars more for better service and happier environment.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank shookl
Kelowna, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

We were in town for the Flames vs Flyers game and after a long snowy drive from Kelowna we were quite please with the cleanliness of the room, comfy beds and a great view of the downtown core. Staff are super friendly, knowledgeable and took care of our every need throughout the weekend. The Front Office Manager Mr. Zulfiqar and Jennifer went out of there way to make us feel at home. . After reading other reviews on here I was worried about noise but in all honesty I never heard a peep through the day or at night! I will never stay anywhere but the Ramada Hotel Downtown Calgary and want to thank the entire team for making it such a great weekend for us! Cheers to all!

Room Tip: Go for the top floor with a balcony!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Coomesy
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

I've stayed at this hotel a few times for business in the past 6 years. The price is reasonable for its good location downtown. The restaurant is nothing special.
My last trip was Feb 19 - 21, 2012. I was wakened the first night at 12:30AM by drunken yahoos in the next room. The worst one was a loud woman who never stopped talking, laughing, and dropping F-bombs. They left shortly, but returned around 2:15 (last call?). I phoned the front desk to complain and they said they would send security up. Didn't help. The party eventually moved (to another room?), but returned at 4:15! I called the front desk again, and got the same assurance that they would send someone up. But the noise didn't stop until nearly 5 AM (they passed out?). My alarm went off at 6. Grrrr! I complained in person at the front desk, and told them I wanted to be moved if the same people were not leaving. The clerk assured me that the people were supposed to check out, and apologized. Too little, too late. I will not stay at this hotel again.

1 Thank baal727

Travellers are raving about these Calgary hotels

Ottawa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

My room was fine, a bit worn but clean and comfortable. I did not care for the lobby at all, nor did I find the restaurant in the lobby any good what so ever. The staff were non-chalant not really interested in your enjoyment of your stay or your food. The bar I only walked through and it seemed a bit edgy for me.

Room Tip: Its one of the cheapest hotels in Calgary, I can't believe what other hotels are charging in Cal...
1 Thank Jixx