“Great place for the business traveler”

Ramada Plaza Calgary Downtown
Ranked #80 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Creston BC
“Great place for the business traveler”
Reviewed 19 September 2012

I always stay at this location when I am in Calgary for business, and I recommend this hotel to all of my colleges who are coming to Calgary for meetings as well. The staff has always been very helpful especially Mylene in reservation she always very pleasant to deal with. The underground parking is a little tight but I have been parking my full size GMC 4X4 in the underground with no trouble. The lot is secured 24 hrs a day, I have never had any problems with the parking, Antonio is always great to deal with and takes very good care of the vehicles. The location is great close to many restaurants and shopping, the red fox lounge (attached to the hotel) staff is friendly and the food is great.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Dwayne F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Fort McMurray, Canada
Reviewed 9 September 2012

We have an exceptional experience staying in downtown Ramada. Everyone was so accommodating and willing to help out. Front desk staff made sure our stay was as comfortable as it could possibly be. "A home away from home" experience. A special thank you to Ramada's Reservation Manager, Mylene Edrozo, for doing a great job.

Room Tip: One with a balcony overlooking downtown Calgary
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Lorelie C
Trenton, New Jersey
Reviewed 9 September 2012

Ramada Downtown, Calgary. The best hotel you can find. Clean rooms and excellent service. Hotel staff are very helpful and pleasant. So happy to find a place where me & my family can stay and feel at home away from home. Looking forward to be back!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Nature2011
Hoboken, New Jersey
Reviewed 7 September 2012

I travel to Calgary 4+ times per year for workand am happy to say that I will be back to the Ramada. Typically I try to stay at a Starwood property but the Westin here is almost $300+ per night which my company will not pay for for this market. I chose this hotel as a new option to the less than average options I had already experienced in the downtown area. Although the lobby could use some TLC I found the rooms to be updated and comfortable with flat panel tvs and comfortable feather pillows. The bathrooms were bright and spotlessly clean.
I know there have been some negative reviews in regard to the service at check in but my coworker and I had no issues. In fact, Milan heard us discussing some restaurant options and very kindly offered some suggestions that we greatly appreciated.
Overall I had a very pleasant stay and unless I have a negative experience in the future, this will be my hotel of choice when in Calgary for business.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Laurenkarl
brisbane
Reviewed 29 August 2012 via mobile

My partner & I chose this hotel to stay at for 3 nights whilst passing through Calgary on our honeymoon. Price wasn't a huge issue, we mostly chose it for seeming to have a central location downtown, close to trains/bus & on the experience that we has stayed at a Ramada whilst on business in New Zealand, so we assumed the chain would follow the same basic procedures & the hotel would be fairly modern. This was certainly not the case. Upon arrival, our room wasn't ready, which was no problem as we arrived 3 hrs prior to check in but it was the way the staff member delivered the message. This was the first sign that the staff were incompetent & bored with their job. When we asked for some help locking our luggage, the rude  man behind the counter thought it was the biggest hassle in the world & called a colleague to help up store our bags until we could check in. We got offered a map, which was again, a huge effort to reach behind the counter & pass to us. I wanted to know about Banff & obtain some info about getting there. I was definitely too scared to ask the moron behind the desk.  The gentleman who helped us with our bags was very friendly so I approached him & he went in to lengthy detail about how to get there & what to see. It was very helpful & we really appreciated it. After we wandered the city for a while, we headed back for check in. A different person helped us - WHAT AN EFFORT. You would think they expect you to check yourself in. His name was Lee & had a negative attitude to us & his job. If the staff here are this unhappy with life, they should really change careers. He asked for our CC & ID, once done with the cards he literally threw the cards back on the counter, we were shocked. He asked us for a contact number, but when we said we didn't have a phone number whilst traveling (as we imagine many young Australians would not either)  he rolled his eyes at us & asked for our Australian number instead.  After that I can't remember too much, as I was just in disbelief at how rude these people were. After traveling for almost 5 weeks (& to over 8 counties in the past) we have not experienced such pathetic service. The ridiculous thing is, we aren't high maintenance guests, we avoid calling front desk, asking too many questions & like to keep to ourselves (also every single one of the 20+ trip reviews are positive) so I can guarantee we were far from difficult or demanding. We don't expect royal service for the price we paid, but a friendly hello &/or welcome would have been lovely. Australia is a huge tourism industry / full of young travelers - I hope that someone will read this review from Oz or anywhere worldwide & trust me when I say to book ELSEWEAR! I wish we would have paid the measly $35-45 a night for somewhere where the staffs faces won't crumble when they attempt a smile.  Judging by the lack of recent reviews on this hotel & the very quiet hallways, perhaps people are switching on to this advise... Just a quick note, if you do choose to stay here, don't order room service. It was revolting. After doing a tour of Banff & arriving back to the hotel at 9.30pm, we thought we'd settle in front of the TV & have some dinner. I ordered the boneless ribs. They looked more like chicken nuggets, they were crumbed, cold & chewy. I had two bites & I was done. It was unfortunate that the only pleasant experience was checking out of the hotel, the lady was very sweet & the most friendly staff member we encountered at the Ramada.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank The_Lovecats5
Manager7836, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Calgary Downtown, responded to this review, 4 September 2012
Thank you for taking the time to reiterate your recent experience at the hotel. We sincerely regret your stay was short of enjoyable and that we sorely fell short of administering great customer care. We place great value on the importance of having friendly, attentive, and knowledgeable staff and are disappointed you received anything less as a guest of our hotel. Your experience with the reception of our employees is not typical at all and we assure you the supervision of our areas has heightened as a direct result of your observations.

Again, thank you for your comments and for choosing the Ramada while in Calgary.

Travellers are raving about these Calgary hotels

Reviewed 24 August 2012

We only stayed here for the one night and after 26 hours of travel and we were happy to have a clean room, comfortable bed and something to eat. Room service was good value and served with a smile. Rooms were in good condition and the staff were in good spirits for the stampede.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank AdelaideFamilyTravel
Thank you for your comments and we are pleased you found the hotel to be comfortable, clean and located perfectly for your stay. Thanks for choosing the Ramada Downtown in Calgary.
Lake Louise
Reviewed 23 August 2012

HI folkswe stayed here on aug 14 2012. We got to the hotel and got upgraded to the 9th floor "excutive floor" so they call it. The next moring we woke up checked out. after about and hour or 2 I noticed bites all over my body were starting to show up. I went right to my doctor he said for sure i had bed bug bites from the place i had slept ast night. SO after trying to contact the place I got nobody willing to talk to me. After I sent an email to ramada co. Still no response. So be careful staying here as they do have bed bug. I even have pictures to prove it.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank d76b
Manager7836, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Calgary Downtown, responded to this review, 29 August 2012
The hotel has been in contact with the writer on several occasions by email and has addressed his complaint. We were also recently informed that his internet service has been down for a week and thus no communication was received from us.

We were notified after he departed of his condition and immediately inspected the room visually and put it out of order. The room in question had been rented continuously for the past month with no complaints.

The hotel is very proactive with complaints regarding bed bugs, has purchased special bed encasements for all beds to prevent them from attaching to the mattresses and have treated every room to prevent them from surviving or spreading.

Unfortunately we cannot stop individuals from bring them into the hotels and thus if we hear of an occurrence we hire Progressive Maintenance (www.progressivemaintenance.ca) and their special dog “Kia” who is trained to will find any remnants of bug carcasses. This we did and we were pleased that he did not find any trace of them.

Our guest who stated he got bit in our hotel was staying with a friend who he reported did not get bitten and he was not the registered in the hotel.