“I was robbed!!!! Poor service, arrogant stuff at the reception.”

Ramada Plaza Calgary Downtown
Ranked #82 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 23 August 2013

I stayed in Ramada downtown Calgary for 2 weeks when I moved to Calgary and was looking for accommodation. I had a jewelry box with golden jewelry in one of my suitcases. I found out that all my gold jewelry was missing only a week after I checked out. I was too busy searching for a place to live and stressed with the new job and new country. My company transfered me to Calgary from Russia and I had only two weeks to find a house so I was busy. Of course it didn't occur to me to check on my jewelry. They took everything: golden rings, golden earrings, golden chains. All of the items were the gifts from my family: mom, sister. And the quality was high, as you know Russian gold is famous for its quality. I was crushed, couldn't believe it happened to me. When I called them to notify about the robbery they were very defensive and even doubted my claim asking: 'Did you find out just now?'. I couldn't believe their attitude. I had an impression that they knew what was going on in their damned hotel. It might have been my fault as I didn't put it in a safe. I was too naive thinking my belongings are safe in my suitcases. I don't want this happen to anyone else, so I highly recommend stay away from this trashy hotel and if you happen to stay, keep your valuables in a safe.
One more comment, people at the reception are arrogant and not friendly. I am a professional translator and often accompany people from Russia visiting Calgary and help them with chcking in. Everytime I am there to help I watch the stuff and their attitude unfricking believable. When they serve you, it feels like they do you a huge favour.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank natashechicka
Hotel_Manager_YYC, Manager at Ramada Plaza Calgary Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2013

Please note that this is the first report our property has received regarding your missing jewellery and this causes us to believe the stay experience was with another Calgary lodging establishment. We do accommodate short and long term stay guests and pride ourselves on staff who make an extra effort to accommodate our guest. You are encouraged to contact Mr. Frank Stewart, General Manager, with the full details of your stay and claim. We look forward to assisting our guests in every possible way.
Best regards,

Reviewed 18 August 2013

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Ramada
1  Thank Connie Rita H
Reviewed 5 August 2013

This hotel is ideally suited for the 'downtown'
Large spacious air conditioned rooms. Hotel staff extremely friendly and helpful, nothing was to much trouble.
Rooms did not have safes, but free safe deposit boxes were available at the reception desk.
Very close to the metro station, bus routes and restaurants.
A small general store was atatched to the hotel, selling anything from souvenirs, ice cream, soft drinks to lottery tickets at reasonable prices..... not the normal hotel rip off prices.
Wifi was free in all the rooms and common areas, and internet access was available free in the business centre, where guests could use the 2 computers and printers
All in all a pleasant experience

Cannesdid .... surfingsyd

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Syd M
Reviewed 2 August 2013

We had a very nice stay. We were there during the Stampede so it was more expensive than normal. The rooms were very nice and breakfast was good. We liked that it was walking distance to mountain equipment co-op. The friends I was travelling with liked the pool.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jessica M
Reviewed 31 July 2013

We got a 'mystery hotel' package to the Ramada, so we got a really good deal. For what we paid, I was really happy with the hotel. The beds were comfortable, the rooms clean and neat, the staff consistently friendly and helpful. It was also a great location for exploring the Calgary mall/ downtown area.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank FamilyTraveller1012
Manager7836, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Calgary Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2013

Very happy to hear that the Hotel Mystery Package was to your liking...trust you enjoyed our city.

Reviewed 30 July 2013

Stayed here two nights before a trip to the mpountains and one night after. Had booked a standard king and was upgraded to executive king rooms both stays. Rooms are nice but I would have liked there to be a small fridge in the room but there isn't one. Bed furnishing were very nice and plush and WiFi worked very well.

Room Tip: I got a poolside room the second stay and it had a balcony overlooking the pool. had a much better v...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank mattcollins35
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I have been staying at the Ramada Downtown Calgary for business since 2006 for apx 1 week per month. Since then they have done numerous upgrades to almost all of the rooms. The Red Fox Lounge has a good selection of drinks served by a wonderful wait staff, not to mention the excellent food and the amazing roast beef buffet served daily at noon. Probably the best thing about this hotel is the people and the service they provide. The front desk is always friendly and call you by name, the bell hops are so accommodating and every time you happen to run into management they are eager to please. Saving the best for last there is Mylene Edrozo, she is my saving grace, there isn't any time I can think of that she hasn't been able to help me make my reservation and stay hassle free. Thanks Mylene !!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business