“Fine for a night, but...”

Ramada Plaza Calgary Downtown
Ranked #81 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
South Australia, Australia
“Fine for a night, but...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2013

I think it's time for the Ramada to have a face lift. On the upside, the bed was comfy and the room was clean. The location was ok, walking distance to the mall etc and just up the road from the BACC. The restaurant was ok for brekky. On the downside, the place was quite drab, in general and the bathroom was just old. Also I needed to utilse their internet room as the website
i wanted to access required Adobe flash player, which my ipad didnt have, so couldn't read it. I sat infront of their old dinosaur box pc , tried to do what I needed and had the same problem. After spending 10mins (cos it was slow) trying to upload a free version onto their pc, I realise that their OS was just too antiquated to deal with it...Unbelievable. I then had to plead my case to the Marketing manager, who promptly jumped from her desk and allowed me to use her pc. thankfully. Job done it two minutes..arrrgh So, would I stay there again, probably not, unless I was penny pinching AND it was only for a night.

Room Tip: Don't open your curtains when naked, without looking. Our room was directly across the alley way...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bubs69

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2013

I stayed in Ramada downtown Calgary for 2 weeks when I moved to Calgary and was looking for accommodation. I had a jewelry box with golden jewelry in one of my suitcases. I found out that all my gold jewelry was missing only a week after I checked out. I was too busy searching for a place to live and stressed with the new job and new country. My company transfered me to Calgary from Russia and I had only two weeks to find a house so I was busy. Of course it didn't occur to me to check on my jewelry. They took everything: golden rings, golden earrings, golden chains. All of the items were the gifts from my family: mom, sister. And the quality was high, as you know Russian gold is famous for its quality. I was crushed, couldn't believe it happened to me. When I called them to notify about the robbery they were very defensive and even doubted my claim asking: 'Did you find out just now?'. I couldn't believe their attitude. I had an impression that they knew what was going on in their damned hotel. It might have been my fault as I didn't put it in a safe. I was too naive thinking my belongings are safe in my suitcases. I don't want this happen to anyone else, so I highly recommend stay away from this trashy hotel and if you happen to stay, keep your valuables in a safe.
One more comment, people at the reception are arrogant and not friendly. I am a professional translator and often accompany people from Russia visiting Calgary and help them with chcking in. Everytime I am there to help I watch the stuff and their attitude unfricking believable. When they serve you, it feels like they do you a huge favour.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank natashechicka
Hotel_Manager_YYC, Manager at Ramada Plaza Calgary Downtown, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
Please note that this is the first report our property has received regarding your missing jewellery and this causes us to believe the stay experience was with another Calgary lodging establishment. We do accommodate short and long term stay guests and pride ourselves on staff who make an extra effort to accommodate our guest. You are encouraged to contact Mr. Frank Stewart, General Manager, with the full details of your stay and claim. We look forward to assisting our guests in every possible way.
Best regards,

Travellers are raving about these Calgary hotels

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

This hotel is ideally suited for the 'downtown'
Large spacious air conditioned rooms. Hotel staff extremely friendly and helpful, nothing was to much trouble.
Rooms did not have safes, but free safe deposit boxes were available at the reception desk.
Very close to the metro station, bus routes and restaurants.
A small general store was atatched to the hotel, selling anything from souvenirs, ice cream, soft drinks to lottery tickets at reasonable prices..... not the normal hotel rip off prices.
Wifi was free in all the rooms and common areas, and internet access was available free in the business centre, where guests could use the 2 computers and printers
All in all a pleasant experience

Cannesdid .... surfingsyd

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Syd M
Bergen, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013

We had a very nice stay. We were there during the Stampede so it was more expensive than normal. The rooms were very nice and breakfast was good. We liked that it was walking distance to mountain equipment co-op. The friends I was travelling with liked the pool.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jessica M
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013

We got a 'mystery hotel' package to the Ramada, so we got a really good deal. For what we paid, I was really happy with the hotel. The beds were comfortable, the rooms clean and neat, the staff consistently friendly and helpful. It was also a great location for exploring the Calgary mall/ downtown area.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank FamilyTraveller1012
Manager7836, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Calgary Downtown, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
Very happy to hear that the Hotel Mystery Package was to your liking...trust you enjoyed our city.
San Diego, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

Stayed here two nights before a trip to the mpountains and one night after. Had booked a standard king and was upgraded to executive king rooms both stays. Rooms are nice but I would have liked there to be a small fridge in the room but there isn't one. Bed furnishing were very nice and plush and WiFi worked very well.

Room Tip: I got a poolside room the second stay and it had a balcony overlooking the pool. had a much better v...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family