Ramada Plaza Calgary Downtown
US$193
US$135
Hotel Elan
  • Breakfast included
Best Western Plus Port O'Call Hotel(Calgary)(Great Value!)
US$115
US$111
US$565
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewsrooftop poolbusiness districtstayed here for two nightsan older hotelfront desk staffdowntownbalconiesstampede
Reviewed 4 July 2008

We stayed here June 28-30th and there were 4 of us in the hotel, including two young children. What mattered to us was a clean room, well priced and close to attractions (or easy to get to), and we were not disappointed. The room was very clean and spacious with two double beds, a nice, big flat screen tv (and plenty of channels), a table and chair, drawers, clock/radio, a clean bathroom with plenty of towels, hairdryer plus shampoos, soaps and lotions. The room was a bit warm at night, but I just slept with a thin sheet and was fine, and my kids didn't complain. For a 3 1/2 star hotel it was perfect and very well priced. We used a coupon from the 2008 Alberta Official Accomodation Guide and it was a $109 a night (on weekends) and includes a breakfast! Keep in mind the breakfast is usually not included and it normally costs $11-$13 dollars (there is a nice assortment of cold and hot buffet items there-really yummy stuff!). We had breakfast included for both mornings and it was great. I was told on the phone that the coupon was good for both nights but when I got there they said it was only good for one. I told them I was told on the phone otherwise and had the numbers written down, but they just took my word for it and gave me the deal I was promised. I heard later someone else say the same thing to the desk clerk (they were given a different price) and they didn't make a fuss in giving the price that was promised to them too. Hotel parking is $15 plus tax and it's underground. You can park on the street for free on a Saturday night to a Sunday morning (which we did), but of course you risk damage or theft when parking on a downtown street. Any other night though, you will most likely get towed because they clear the streets for morning traffic (it's pretty clear on the road signs, just remember to read them carefully!). There is a swimming pool on the third floor-we didn't try it though. We were one block away from the electric train and the train is free in the downtown area, so you could take the train for free to see the Calgary tower (which is what we did also). All the staff was very nice and helpful with all of our "touristy" questions. Like I said, it was a really good 3 1/2 star hotel, even 4 star-it's clean, well priced and convenient. But if your use to something a little fancier, you'll be disappointed (like I am sure some of the previous negative reviewers were). I don't think you will be though.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 May 2008

The lobby was old and outdated, but I thought maybe the room would be better. Not so - the room was old, and worst of all smelled of smoke. I thought smoking in-doors has been banned?? The bathroom had one old fluorescent bulb that barely lit it up - so it was difficult to shave properly. The hotel badly needs an update - it looked like it was straight out of the 70's, except for the flatscreen TV which looked very out of place in such an old room.

The cleaning staff was so loud yelling outside my room I thought there was a fight going on - but when I opened the door I realized it was housekeeping.

I could not believe this hotel is a 3 star. Needless to say I will never stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 April 2008

My job requires me to stay in hotels approximately 15 nights a month. Part of my job is to inspect hotels for my collegues to stay in.

This was not my first stay in this property, but unless a major renovation of the soft and hard goods in the rooms and the heating and cooling system, this will be my last time.

First night I checked in to the "executive floor" and found my room reaking of smoke. In addition the temperature was very warm, to warm for an adequate night's rest. After calling the front desk I changed rooms to the front of the hotel where I was able to open the balcony door and window to allow cool air in (28 degrees outside). Having the door open now exposed noise from drunks yelling and screaming in the streets. 1:30 later, at 4:00 in the morning, I was able to finally get to sleep.

Two nights later I was scheduled to spend the night at the Ramada. Upon going to my first room the heater was pouring out heat through the register even though the setting was at 10 degrees celcius. Back down to the front desk to try out a different room, now facing the street again. Second room was to warm as well and being that it was earlier ( only 1:30 in the morning and the Juno Fest going on) outside street noise was unbearable with the door closed!

I had enough. I left the hotel and went to the International Hotel for the next two nights. What a huge difference.

Other issues with the Ramada includes outdated rooms, interior and exterior noise, and elevator problems.

The location is good, but that is all I can say positive about this property. I suggest looking at the Westin, Hyatt, or International Hotel.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 February 2008

This is a tired older hotel that in most other Canadian cities would be out of business or charging $75 per night. Unfortunately because of Calgary's booming business economy you will likely be spending an additional $100 a night.
So if you have to stay downtown bite the bullet and spend more at a better hotel. Alternaively ,stay close to the airport where prices are much more reasonable.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 January 2008

If you want a place to sleep this hotel is fine. The staff were very friendly. The rooms were ok.

The hotel is right in the middle of the souless business district of downtown. It is a 1970s city hotel updated a little.

It does have parking but they do not let diesel cars in - although I managed to sneak mine in!

The hotel bar is grim - do not go! There is an Irish bar across the street which is great. All in all I recommend this place if you are passing through on business (or as I was driving across country).

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled on business