“Really low standards.” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #77 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Canmore, Canada
“Really low standards.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

The hotel itself was average but dated, and I would not stay again. The worst thing was the staff. I found them to be quite rude and very unprofessional.

When I called to make the reservation, the man on the phone was rude when I asked for a specific rate. His reply was "I don't know anything about that" in a tone that sounded like he was offended. I had to explain to him what the rate was for and basically do his job for him. He put me on hold to check and when he came back his tone changed completely and he gave me the rate. He seemed like he was new and spent a lot of time clicking around and making noises with his mouth. He asked me what was my method of payment, to which I replied "Debit when I checkout but I have a credit card to hold the room" and he snapped back with "Yes I need a credit card to hold the reservation and when you check in" like I was an idiot. I know how hotels work. If he would have asked for a credit card instead of my method of payment, this could have gone better. Wording makes a difference.

When we came to check in the man at the front office did not smile, he didn't ask how we were, how the drive was, ect. He just wanted us out of his face. It was quite late so I'm not sure if this was the evening GSA or the Night Auditor. Either way, the check in experience is by far the most important stage during your stay.

The GSA also didn't explain anything to us about the hotel, the most important being parking. All he said was that it costs 10 bucks. We go underground only to find that it's mandatory valet parking. I'm really protective of my car. I'm surprised that this is "Ramada Hotel Policy" as described by the outrageously rude valet guy. I asked him "What if I don't like people driving my car, can I just park it myself" and he looks at me like he wanted to strangle me and said in a patronizing tone "Well then you can go park somewhere else!". I don't understand why this policy is in place.

We called the night before to ask for a later check out in the morning. They extended our check out time by two hours. Turns out we left at 11:30 instead of 1, but here's the kicker: We get a phone call at 11:15 and the lady on the phone said "Checkout time is 11, when are you guys getting out?" Those were her exact words, I am not exaggerating. Ten minutes later we hear a knocking on our door. Good thing we had the chain in place otherwise we would of had some random guy in a white shirt and tie (hope he's not a manager) walk right into our room. This guy knocked once and didn't even wait before entering. He didn't identify himself or his department, which is pretty standard when entering a guest room regardless of whether they are there or not. Plus, we had the do not disturb sign on our door and requested a late check out, there's no reason for that to happen. These things should be recorded. What if I wanted a wake up call to catch a flight? I bet I wouldn't of gotten one. I bet they don't even offer wake up calls.

We were so fed up that we opted for an express checkout as we didn't want to deal with any more staff.

I've never had a worse experience with hotel staff. The standards here are really really low and clearly nobody is doing anything about it. I will steer clear of the Ramada brand from now on.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Red Deer
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2013

The people and service make this hotel. It probably has the best location anywhere in Calgary - right downtown. The hotel is sort of older and a bit tired but the beds are clean and firm and the atmosphere makes up for it. Mylene and all the staff are top notch. They way they treat you, you'd think you were staying at the Taj Mahal. Best staff in Calgary.

Room Tip: There are a few 'model' rooms but they are usually booked solid.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

I have stayed here on many occasions as I travel a lot with my career.
Each time I stay here I am comfortable and satisfied that I got fantastic value for my spent dollars.
The staff are very friendly and courteous and know me by name. I will continue to stay here when in town due to the location to everything as well as the staff. Thanks Ramada Calgary Downtown for making me feel like I am home when I stay there.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Kitchener
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

I cannot say enough about this hotel. The staff were exceedingly friendly and very helpful. The room was clean and the beds were awesome. I would have checked excellent for this hotel, but the tv provider that they use was mostly sports stations, which we are not, so they need to fix this. The fan in the bathroom, was not adequate enough to clear the fog from a shower. But, overall we enjoyed staying here more than any hotel that we stayed at on our trip through Canada. The room service was the highlight of our stay here. The selection, quality and service was 5 star. Since this hotel is in the business section of downtown, finding an open restaurant during the weekend is slim to nil, so we were so surprised and happy to find the room service was so excellent.

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the pool and there was a group of people out there after the posted hours...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Audrey H
Antwerp, Belgium
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

We stayed last week in the Ramada. The Ramada is situated in the middle of Calgary. A bit more in the business district. 15 min drive from Calgary airport.

Reception: Very friendy man welcomed us. Booked through Jonview & the roadmap was also there waiting on us. The parking is indeed only valet but for a very reasonable price.

Rooms: we received a room on the executive floor. I read the reviews but can only say that the room was totally in order. Nice & new king bed. One of the best nights I had last few weeks. Room & bathroom where standard but very clean.

the restaurant: we had here the buffet breakfast. You have continental and the full buffet. Only 14 cad incl coffee. Standard buffet. Only dont understand why we ate on a black plastic tablecloth...

General conclusion: The general feeling is that the hotel needs a rehab; the hallways - the reception & the restaurant... Remove the brown colors & make it more modern. If you find a deal then this is a good middle class hotel. If they charge you the full price... Well than there are other hotels.

I Will visit this hotel again - Be sure to ask for a renovated room ( small surcharge )

Room Tip: ask for a renovated room on the executive floor ( surcharge )
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple