“Not good - don't stay there” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ramada Plaza Calgary Downtown

Ramada Plaza Calgary Downtown
Ranked #79 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Saskatoon, Canada
“Not good - don't stay there”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013

The only positive comment I have is that the staff were friendly and courteous, with the exception of management. This is hotel is old, run down,dirty, and depressing. My room on the 5th floor was non-smoking but smelled like smoke. No perks, not even in- room coffee at a "special" rate of 149.99/night. But the worst was no hot water in the shower! When I mentioned it to the front desk manager and asked for compensation, I was told that I should have called down so maintenance could have come to take a look. Yeah, right - like I had the time for that as I was getting ready to check out and on my way to a business meeting. And as if I would make it up just to get a refund.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Hotel_Manager_YYC, Manager at Ramada Plaza Calgary Downtown, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Dear Lady Monarch,
Thank you for taking the time to share your guest experience with us. Our property is an older, mid-tier full service hotel typically favored for location, friendly service, clean rooms and value. Our competitive room rates allow individuals to stay in the center of Calgary who might otherwise need to stay out of downtown due to personal or business allotted budgets. Our sold-out status on most Mon-Thu supports this. That said, we are sorry to hear you felt $149.00 was high for a one night stay and that coffee/tea service was not in-room. It is a Ramada brand standard to have in-room coffee/tea and we hope you contacted our Front Desk about this matter. Please note that we have moved from coffee pots to single unit dispensing machines and 2 packets of coffee and tea plus whitener and sugar packs is standard and replenished for free every day. Another well liked benefit is free wireless Internet or ipod radio. It is unusual to have a problem with hot water (reported once last year) but front desk personnel and managers should be very interested to learn this information to see how we might still assist you/and to ensure the problem was confined to 1 room only. In terms of in-room smoking, the Ramada Downtown is a completely smoke-free hotel. All guest room carpeting was replaced following our change to smoke-free status and our only guess – that a guest nearby was dishonoring our house rules. We apologize for the related inconvenience. We are sorry we did not satisfy your stay expectations but do thank you for this opportunity to address your feedback. Thank you also for choosing the Ramada.
Best regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

Tired older hotel on the fringe of downtown and had a few issues. Checked in at 6pm, on a Wednesday, came back downstairs to restaurant for Dinner at 7:45 and restaurant in darkness, closed !!! Also had some issue with their 90% policy of currency exchange from USD to Can$, pretty steep. Overall property has seen much better days, but was still functional although not inexpensive for what one received.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013 via mobile

This is what sold the Ramada for me - the location and free wifi. Staff are v helpful and friendly. Food in the restaurant is good too. Amazing bagel place nearby if you fancy some local food. Good size rooms and nice bed sheets and pillows. Definitely recommend staying here.

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Ottawa, Ontario
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights on business. Never again. The only reason I'm not giving a terrible rating is because it is in a great location - walking distance from all restaurants and shopping. The rooms are really aged. The bed was somewhat comfortable but that was the only redeeming feature. The towels were all worn and thin. The dishes in the on site restaurant were dirty - yes very disgusting. If you've attempted to book a hotel stay in calgary lately I'm sure you won't find any bargains with most of the decent chains charging 300 - 400 night. The Ramada was $200 which is no bargain based on what you get. Next time I will opt to stay outside the downtown core or pay the premium.

• 2 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Calgary hotels

Canmore, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

The hotel itself was average but dated, and I would not stay again. The worst thing was the staff. I found them to be quite rude and very unprofessional.

When I called to make the reservation, the man on the phone was rude when I asked for a specific rate. His reply was "I don't know anything about that" in a tone that sounded like he was offended. I had to explain to him what the rate was for and basically do his job for him. He put me on hold to check and when he came back his tone changed completely and he gave me the rate. He seemed like he was new and spent a lot of time clicking around and making noises with his mouth. He asked me what was my method of payment, to which I replied "Debit when I checkout but I have a credit card to hold the room" and he snapped back with "Yes I need a credit card to hold the reservation and when you check in" like I was an idiot. I know how hotels work. If he would have asked for a credit card instead of my method of payment, this could have gone better. Wording makes a difference.

When we came to check in the man at the front office did not smile, he didn't ask how we were, how the drive was, ect. He just wanted us out of his face. It was quite late so I'm not sure if this was the evening GSA or the Night Auditor. Either way, the check in experience is by far the most important stage during your stay.

The GSA also didn't explain anything to us about the hotel, the most important being parking. All he said was that it costs 10 bucks. We go underground only to find that it's mandatory valet parking. I'm really protective of my car. I'm surprised that this is "Ramada Hotel Policy" as described by the outrageously rude valet guy. I asked him "What if I don't like people driving my car, can I just park it myself" and he looks at me like he wanted to strangle me and said in a patronizing tone "Well then you can go park somewhere else!". I don't understand why this policy is in place.

We called the night before to ask for a later check out in the morning. They extended our check out time by two hours. Turns out we left at 11:30 instead of 1, but here's the kicker: We get a phone call at 11:15 and the lady on the phone said "Checkout time is 11, when are you guys getting out?" Those were her exact words, I am not exaggerating. Ten minutes later we hear a knocking on our door. Good thing we had the chain in place otherwise we would of had some random guy in a white shirt and tie (hope he's not a manager) walk right into our room. This guy knocked once and didn't even wait before entering. He didn't identify himself or his department, which is pretty standard when entering a guest room regardless of whether they are there or not. Plus, we had the do not disturb sign on our door and requested a late check out, there's no reason for that to happen. These things should be recorded. What if I wanted a wake up call to catch a flight? I bet I wouldn't of gotten one. I bet they don't even offer wake up calls.

We were so fed up that we opted for an express checkout as we didn't want to deal with any more staff.

I've never had a worse experience with hotel staff. The standards here are really really low and clearly nobody is doing anything about it. I will steer clear of the Ramada brand from now on.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Red Deer
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2013

The people and service make this hotel. It probably has the best location anywhere in Calgary - right downtown. The hotel is sort of older and a bit tired but the beds are clean and firm and the atmosphere makes up for it. Mylene and all the staff are top notch. They way they treat you, you'd think you were staying at the Taj Mahal. Best staff in Calgary.

Room Tip: There are a few 'model' rooms but they are usually booked solid.