“Very Good”

Ramada Plaza Calgary Downtown
Ranked #80 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Booked this on Hotwire with a group of friends for a lads weekend in calgary, really good.
Very good and helpful staff, breakfast is really good andcan have toiletries delivered to your room if you forget to bring toothpaste etc
central

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 9 January 2014

Actually a couple of years ago that I stayed here but am remembering how comfy their beds, pillows and bedding were. If anyone "happens" to notice a pillow tag with a brand ;) please do share! I inquired about buying an unused one from them but she said they don't do that :(

Aside from the best pillows/bedding I've ever encountered, the view left much to be desired. Just an office building as wide but taller that pretty much blocks out any natural sunlight (not their fault or a big deal just an observation). I also observed buddy working away across from me in said office; we exchanged a kind of cordial wave which is a usually comforting gesture but most unsettling from your hotel room lol. Unless you're into that kind of thing..

We tried the dining room that seemed to be empty whenever we passed it (⛳ ) The service was awkward and the only waitress there watched us like a hawk from behind a plastic planter and the smorgasbord display. Soo not enough effort was made to blend in and it was certainly not welcoming or relaxing. But the food was decent!

I enjoyed their cable package, wifi, and quiet hallways during a presumably slow weekend.

• Stayed: February 2013
Hotel_Manager_YYC, Manager at Ramada Plaza Calgary Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Thank you for your comments and for choosing our property while in Calgary. We are delighted our pillows and bedding are among the best you have encountered and if on reading this you remain interested to purchase pillows, do let us know. As mentioned, some of our north facing guest rooms are directly across from an office tower and for added light and distance from neighboring buildings, please feel welcome to request a south facing room in the future. We are happy you found our food to your liking, enjoyed the cable, wi-fi and our quiet corridors. We appreciate your service comment and have shared your observations with our staff. Thank you for your stay.
Best regards,

Reviewed 6 January 2014

The upside to this hotel is the quality of the staff at the front desk and the parking garage. The staff were very friendly and always willing to help. However, the rest of my hotel experience was not so great. The rooms are very depressing and need to be updated. Breakfast was very bland, not anything to get excited about. I was also disappointed to find out I wasn’t able to collect points because I didn’t have the proper room rate, which would have been fine, but wasn’t clearly indicated when I booked. You can definitely find something better in Calgary in a similar price range.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We had originally booked a hostel for this one night stay, but unfortunately it had to close due to the flooding.
We stayed at this hotel after a very long flight. The area where the hotel is was a little bit strange and desolate. We struggled to find anywhere to eat, and after walking around in the dark decided to go back to the hotel. We spotted a bar just beside the hotel so went in for food and a drink before getting to sleep. I have to say the service in The Red Fox was very good, the waitress was giving us some handy travelling tips and directions on how to get to The Greyhound station the next day. I found the staff on the front desk of the hotel when we arrived a little aloof, but when we checked out the next morning the gentleman was very smily. The room was very clean and warm.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Ramada downtown is a very dated hotel. It has probably not been updated in many years which has caused all the upholstery to become faded and dirty. I was shocked to see that the gray curtains in our room were actually green and red at some point based on the picture gallery from the website.

We had a standard double room which was very small with barely any room between the bed and the TV for one person to walk through. The sandman hotel at the other end of the block has bigger rooms(we stayed at Sandman for a night in this trip)! Since we were staying for a few nights we asked for a fridge and a microwave which was promptly provided however the microwave had such little power that we had to warm everything 3 or 4 times over!!

On our first morning we decided to try the breakfast in the hotel since we did not have a lot of time. I cannot stress enough that the food was absolutely horrible. Hot breakfast at $15 has a bunch of greasy items and the worst coffee ever. What's more they even don't offer you milk or cream, one has to make do with non dairy creamer pouch.

When my husband & I complained about the noisy neighbors during the past 2 nights at the front desk, he asked if we had made any complaints at the night for which I answered yes. He just kept staring at us and after a few seconds mentioned that he cannot offer any 'discounts' for the inconvenience caused. Little did he realize that we were not looking for discounts but only a little sympathy for the inconvenience.

I would say the only real advantage of this hotel is the location. If I was visiting Calgary again I would definitely stay somewhere else. This is the worst Ramada ever.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Enjoyed my stay at the Ramada downtown hotel, rooms where very clean, a bit on the small side, but that is fine. Service at front desk was good and the lounge and restaraunt also had good service. It is about an extra 5-10 minutes of walking to get down to the business core of Calgary compared to some other hotels, but those hotels you pay way too much for the location. I did not make it to the pool or spa areas.
I would recommend the Ramada downtown as the very good place to stay for anyone doing a business trip to Calgary.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Good location for downtown activities. Parking was $10.50 for the night in the underground valet parking. Nice option to have rather than parking on the busy street overnight. Check in was not very customer service oriented. No information about the area was offered, and no questions asked about us and where we are from etc to see if we might need any help getting around or maybe a restaurant recommendation. I used my Wyndam reward points earned at Ramada hotels to book an Executive King room and for a downtown hotel was very disappointed in the size and quality of the room. 30000 points I used for a room that had a bathroom that was dirty and from the 70's. The size of the room was very small. I had to go to the front desk and ask if there was a mistake in the booking. After expressing my displeasure and the fact I have lived in 2 different Ramada hotels for work the last 2 years I was offered another room of better quality (not happily though) For 30000 points I expected a much nicer room. (Little fact, you accumulate 10 points for every dollar spent). Overnight downtown noise was typical, people yelling and loud vehicles however, I would expect maybe some soundproof glass to offer a better experience. Overall not a terrible hotel, I would just choose a different hotel next time.

Room Tip: Top floor would be furthest from street level noise but wont guarantee a good quiet sleep. Take ear...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Hotel_Manager_YYC, Manager at Ramada Plaza Calgary Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

Dear Warren R,
Thank you for your comments. Read with interest your claim that 30000 points yielded you a room night at the Ramada Hotel. We are researching this as a Wyndham Rewards free stay is available with as low as 5500 points, typically very possible to earn a night after only e.g. 4 nights stayed and an excellent reason to be a member in this free loyalty program. We are glad you felt the location of the hotel was convenient and the weekend valet parking, an attractive feature. In terms of room size, there is not a large variance from room to room but larger rooms are the corner rooms, and those on either side of the elevator. On request, we will specifically allocate one of those rooms unless the hotel is at sold-out status and an option to do so is unavailable. Our bathrooms are not from the 70s but they are normally clean and we apologize you encountered anything less as a guest of our hotel. Your comment has been shared with our housekeeping department and you are invited to contact us directly with further detail, if this had not been addressed with our personnel before your check-out. Regret also to learn that our Front Desk did not convey more interest and share information on your arrival. Thank you for bringing this to our attention as we in turn bring it to theirs.

Please feel welcome to contact the General Manager or Operations Manager if you would like to further discuss your stay. We are sorry we did not deliver on the type of guest experience we normally help to create but thank you for choosing the Ramada in your travels.

Best regards,