“Surprisingly bad”

Ramada Plaza Calgary Downtown
Ranked #80 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I always said my idea of camping is a ramada with no room service. This one has room service but I'd rather be camping. The room isn't particularly clean (bed and bath are ok but I'm not sure the know how to vacuum or dust). The heat isn't working properly and there is no A/C. Parking is limited and the front desk isn't particularly helpful. Fitness Center is gross. In general great location but tired, old and uncared for hotel. Picked it due to location and price (not cheap). Unfortunately I'm moving on to another Ramada tonight. Let's hope that one is better.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 3 March 2014

Drove in with my diesel truck and parked outside of the hotel on the street. Asked the bellboy if I could park my truck in the underground parking at the hotel. HE said of course. I proceded and when I got down to where the parking was the PHILIPINO valet guy said I COULDNT park down here because my truck was a diesel. The other valet guy said it was o-kay. WE proceded to check in and got to our room. MANAGER PHONED RIGHT AWAY AND TOLD ME I have to move my truck because it was against their hotel regulations to have a diesel parked their. HE said their is a sign on the parking entrance. Yes their is a sign but the sign reads no diesel tanks allowed or propane tanks nothing about no diesel trucks allowed. MANAGER would not listen to me or go look at his sign which indicates this. I HAD TO MOVE MY TRUCK TO ACCROSS THE STREET AND PAY $24 for parking. I WASNT IMPRESSED AND TOLD THE MANAGER i would post this on the internet. He didn'T seem to care.
We decided to eat at the hotel and to our surprise the manager covered the cost of our meal.
I THINK the manager was scared and thought by doing this I WOULDNT POST ANYTHING ON THE INTERNET.
We got to our room and our room was very cold and the heat was not working THE floor was also wet where the furnance vent was located.WE phoned the front desk and complained and the maintanaince guy came up and couldnt do anything. I ASKED IF WE COULD HAVE ANOTHER ROOM and he said he would ask the front desk. We got another room but the bellboy never stuck around to help us with our bags just told us to move from our 4th floor room to the 8th floor
THIS room was also cold and quite old
We will never stay here again and do not recommend anybody stay here. The manager and staff do not look after their guests and are very rude.

Room Tip: THIS hotel is run down
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rick S
Hotel_Manager_YYC, Manager at Ramada Plaza Calgary Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

Dear Rick S:
We read with interest your recent account of the experience at our property and understand your immediate inconvenience on learning your diesel vehicle could not be accommodated in our underground valet parking. While our underground parking is a welcome feature for most arriving guests, regrettably our limitations are accepting diesel vehicles and vehicles over 6’4. In such cases we must refer guests to nearby public parking with the offer to rebate your daily amount paid in excess of the $15.00 daily parking fee normally charged by the hotel. Instead, our manager bettered the $9.00 refund by providing a complimentary dinner for your party, a gesture deemed fair under the circumstances. The parking matter aside, we apologize it was necessary for you to move to another room due to maintenance issues and that our staff were not attentive and more helpful – matters since addressed with the related departments. Our property is a very busy one and enjoys repeat visits by a great number of guests, with stays complimented by attentive customer care. We appreciate your comments and hope for an opportunity we can accommodate you again, leaving you with hotel stay memories you are pleased to recall and to share.
Best regards,

Reviewed 3 March 2014

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Ramada

Reviewed 27 February 2014

I've never stayed at this hotel in the past however had a change in business schedule that had me out in Calgary. It was close to work which was convenient however that is where this hotel stops from it's positives.

My profile for all hotel bookings says as far away from the elevator as possible. I've never had a problem with that request until this time. I couldn't have been any closer if I wanted to. There was some additional "grinding" noise every time someone used the elevator which ended up keeping me awake most of the night. I should have asked to move however was to tired. My first mistake.

The room was your standard room and the bed was comfortable however the nightstand looked to have water damage on it which should have been replaced but apparently it's still good enough.

In the morning I was looking forward to a hot shower to wake me up, but to my surprise it was barley luke warm. In a hotel this size this should not be a problem.

I was looking forward to providing some of my feedback at check out when typically asked "How was your stay?" however I wasn't asked. I was asked "Checking out?" and then given my invoice and that was that. Poor customer service.

I've stayed a lot of hotels of this caliber and for a $200 dollar night this needs to be better... Yes I'm a bit frustrated at my recent stay and I'm sure not all stays are like this but again that's my review and my experience. Be cautious.

Room Tip: Do NOT stay near any of the elevators. Especially room 918 as it's very very loud
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank ShaunEdm
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Very good people to deal with. very professional
And easy to deal with. When our room was the wrong one
we booked they were more than happy to put us in the
correct one without any hassle to us.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Ramada
1  Thank Jason K
Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

I spent one night in Ramada myself. It's safe, quiet and the room I stayed was clean but a little bit cold, the location is great with lots of amenities within walking distance. The food was pricy but overall it's a moderate stay, I mean I had a tight budget and couldn't afford those 300 per night. But if you do require a Super high quality then go and pay for it : )

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Rulukaka
Reviewed 9 February 2014

We stayed in the Ramada Downtown in Calgary for 9 nights from 18th December to 27th December. The hotel was OK but a little less than we expected. We were in Calgary for my sons wedding and chose the Ramada due to its location to the center of town. Room was adequate and clean although a little dated, front office staff were intermittently helpful depending who was on the desk. When we tried to extend by one night we had to have the same conversation three times with different staff which was frustrating and even then they told us we were checking out a day before we were.

We requested an extra fold-away bed for one night which we didn't use but the hotel tried to charge us for the bed for the full length of the stay. After some discussion and our insistence we did not pay for the extra unused bed.

Wasn't happy with the non-existent dining facilities over the Xmas period. We understand that it was Christmas but it would have been helpful if we were told there would be no facilities available when we booked. Car park was convenient and parking attendant very obliging.

Restaurant was a bit ordinary and expensive for what the food was. Hotel has a laundry which was good and cleaning staff helpful.

The lifts were not in good condition and often when the lift buttons were pressed the doors would close but the lift would not go anywhere.

I would look for another hotel when next I visit.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family