“Tired”

Ramada Plaza Calgary Downtown
Ranked #80 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This hotel is over priced/rated and in dire need of a makeover. Their bar closes at the week-ends which I find strange. I feel that this hotel is only suitable for business travellers. I certainly would not recommend it to any friends.

There are newer reviews for Ramada Plaza Calgary Downtown

Reviewed 24 July 2014

We stayed in this Ramada for 3 nights during the first weekend of the Stampede.
As we decided to switch to a downtown hotel just the day before, only a room at one of the executive levels was still available.
The room was spacious enough, with a little balcony overseeing the pool. The ‘look & feel’ of the balcony and its furniture however did represent the rest of the decoration of the hotel: it all could use some color. Where the bedroom was still OK, the bathroom was just old. During the first morning, water was dripping through the ceiling. A technician came in five minutes after we reported it and it did not happen again, but from the look of the ceiling tiles, it was not the first time.
Nights were pretty noisy but I guess that’s what you can expect during the Stampede.
Breakfast is served in a dark & dull space next to the lobby. There’s a buffet which cannot be described with the term ‘abundant’. It’s just OK.
Despite the Stampede, the breakfast room was not overcrowded, which was nice.
Big plus of the hotel is the location downtown, with a parking garage (valet parking obliged), the C-Train stop right behind the hotel and the outdoor pool on the 3rd floor.
In summary, we were glad that we had moved to a hotel in the downtown area but the Ramada brand did not bring much extra to the nice time we had in Calgary.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Would not stay again. Rooms were clean and staff were friendly. However, Very noisy corridors thanks to the ingenious design of putting highly textured tile in front of the elevators. Hot water was dangerously, scalding hot. Bathtub was very slippery fell twice despite bath mat provided. Wifi very slow, borderline useless at times. Few restaurants nearby. Not a thing to recommend it other than price and a location vaguely near downtown and the C-train. I will be looking for a room anywhere else when I return to Calgary.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 July 2014

First of all, this was one of the cheapest downtown Calgary hotels, and considering that, it was great. Sadly I can't justify spending $200 on an alright hotel. Luckily I was there on business and didn't have to pay.

If you are looking for a good downtown location, this is the place. I had a meeting in Downtown Calgary, and it was a perfect place. I checked out in the morning, but left my bags in the storage. Upon returning to the hotel in the afternoon I grabbed my bags, and retrieved my parking from the valet ($18/day). The hotel only charged me for the one nights parking. Even if I would have had to pay for a second day, it would have still saved me money as other people payed at times upward of $40 or $50 for parking.

The beds were comfortable, and the room was a bit dated, but that was alright. It was clean and overall enjoyable. The staff was very courteous.

If I need to come back to downtown Calgary, this will be where I stay.

Room Tip: I had a room on the 3rd floor, and my door opened up to the pool. For some people who would want to...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Stayed at this hotel July 9-10 for the Calgary Stampede, it is very clean and the staff are friendly. Nice restaurant right in the hotel. Only thing is they don't have a compliment shuttle service for this hotel to airport , you have to book and it is $15 per person so it can be pricey.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony so you can enjoy the view
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Friendly staff, comfy room, reasonable price for being in a good location downtown (about 10 mins walk from the Tower and shopping area).

Never had to wait long at all for the elevator. Slept well for all three nights we were there. Complimentary toiletries (though no shower cap), iron and ironing board, coffee maker, hairdryer and bathrobes in the room. No safety deposit box in the room though.

The restaurant in the lobby does a nice buffet breakfast that you pay extra for. Was reasonably priced and had a good selection of hot and cold food.

We also ate and drank in the adjoining bar/restaurant, which was nice enough. There are other restaurants and bars very close to the hotel. We used Downtown Food which is on the next block (a 2 minute walk away) and it was really good!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MortimerBigMouse
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Cant beat the location if you need to do business downtown Calgary. I was a bit hesitant to stay at the Ramada because of its dated appearance from outside the hotel but once inside it was very nice and clean. The rooms were somewhat dated but really not that bad. Great service, very friendly staff. Had room service for breakfast and it was on time and very good. I had a great stay at the Ramada.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business