“Average - just average”

Ranked #79 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Vancouver, Canada
“Average - just average”
Reviewed 3 February 2009

The Ramada is closer to a motel than a full service hotel. The room I was in was updated on the surface, but the bed was still motel-quality, and was not geared to business travel (e.g. no plug or phone at the desk).

The lobby is very dated and I would not recommend eating there.

Concierge staff was not knowledgeable about downtown restaurants - I was looking for an upscale, nice restaurant and they recommended Milestones (a chain, family-style restaurant)! Also, were unable to point me to the closest coffee bar, even though the Good Earth (good coffee!) is next door, which I found out by accident.

It is walking distance to the businesses on the western side of the downtown core, which keeps this place alive. But, would not recommend unless you are trying to stay really close to work.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Reviewed 1 December 2008

During a thee week trip of Canada and USA this was the most expensive and worst place I stayed.

The room was an ok size, the bed comfortable and TV and facilities fine. The air con however made a loud hissing noise, so bad I asked to change rooms. They took me to several other rooms, on different floors, all having the same problem. Eventually I decided to stay in the original room and went out for the evening.

Next day I just felt ill, my head was all bunged up and bones were aching. I still managed to do things on my vacation but I felt so ruff. Felt worse than ever for the next few days and finally it was the day to jet off back home. On the flight home I started to recover and felt normal again within a few hours, I can't say 100% that it was this hotel causing my health problems but i'm 99% confident it was!

I'd avoid staying there until they update the place!

• Liked — Location quite good
  • Disliked — Air con
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk

Travellers are raving about these Calgary hotels

St.Albert
Reviewed 23 October 2008

My girlfriend decided she would surprise me with a little trip to Calgary for the weekend. Once arriving in calgary and at the Ramada they informed my girlfriend and myself that our 50% coupon was not going to be accepted. My girlfriend had confirmed with the manager before she booked the trip that she had a 50% off coupon and wanted to make sure it was ok to use even with an online purchase. The manager assured her over the phone it would be accepted but changed his story once we had shown up. He said it was not acceptable because she was given a $20 off online purchase. This bothered me a bit as Ibelieve it would any other guest. After our check in was complete, the girlfriend pretty upset, we got our vehicle into the parking lot. Ther ewas a $15 fee for valet parking, funny thing was they parked our vehicle the stall beside wher ewe had parked. Ha I thought it was quite funny they turn on the car and moved it one stall over. Definately worth the $15. Even though our evening wa sgoing so superb things did get better. The room was actually very clean and cozy. Had a great view of the pool(but its a seasonal pool so thats ok), with very large windows. Room service was very good, the food was very good and the cleaners di an exceptional job. Overal the hotel nice , the food good but the management was terrible.
I recommend if you have a discount coupon or a discount of some sort get a written or recorded approval of your discount. What people say and what they do are two totally different things.

• Liked — room service
  • Disliked — $15 valet parking and he moved the car ove rone stall. ha hilarious
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
Suffolk
Reviewed 19 August 2008

Dark deprsssing room tired furnishings. Too many tour parties and conferences so rooms not checked by management only 1 cup 1 glass for a double room.

• Liked — Close to Downtown
  • Disliked — Quality
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Northwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2008

The only reason i would stay at this hotel is for its central location. After arriving from a long haul flight the staff were very unhelpful. There was not car parking avaliable. The staff then gave us incorrect directions to a car park. We had to get back to the hotel and ask again. The next morning when we asked for a refund for excess parking charges the staff were rude and did not help us at all.

Rooms ok but nothing special.

On our whole holiday in canada this was the only hotel we were disappointed with.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends
Cheshire, England
Reviewed 3 August 2008

Stayed at Ramada for one night in July 2008. Only Valet parking available - which was efficient & reasonably priced.
Staff on check in/out were very pleasant.

Room was very dated & dark. Valence on bed was ripped in places & cigarette burns in bedding. Rooma non smoking but balcony overlooking pool handy for those that smoke.

Hotel in middle of business area of town, so after arriving on long flight from England on a Sunday afternoon there was no where open to eat.

Would not stay here again.

• Liked — TV
  • Disliked — Ripped bedding
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
toronto
Reviewed 24 July 2008

Upon arrival we interrupted the check in clerk from his cell phone. From there it just got worse. He was annoyed with us, annoyed working there, or , annoyed working there that night, one of the three. He was very short and unwelcoming, we felt intrusive. The room was 300$ per night for a king sized bed, not much room for anything else in the room, the bathroom needed new tile has it was coming away from the wall. The halls smelled like smoke. My elevator card didn't work, when i brought it back to the front desk, same clerk took it from me and tried in a different elevator and it worked in that one - just handed it back to me without saying a work and walked off in a huff. I can take mistakes, bad decor for the price, but for 300 bucks i would have expected someone welcoming - don't stay here.

• Stayed July 2008