“Clean, simple and quiet for a night or two.”
Review of Red Carpet Inn

Red Carpet Inn
Red Carpet Inn
Ranked #103 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 9 March 2014

I've been to the Red Carpet Inn about ten times in the last half year or so. It's clean, it's quiet and off the beaten track. As of now, in 2014 you can't find much around the hundred dollar mark. If you want clean sheets, a bath you can soak in without worry, and a simple place to crash for the night, I recommend it.

The TV's are modern widescreen 32", every room I've been in has one. The wi-fi is variable from 100-1200kbs but works. There's a mini fridge, microwave and usually an electric frying pan and coffee maker.

I've tried a few other places and if you're on a budget and don't want to deal with crackheads and partiers I think this is the best bet.

Yes, it's a little run down, I don't use the furniture and I doubt they steam clean the carpet every day but it is vaccuumed and you get what you pay for. In this case, I think you get a bit more than when you get elsewhere.

The staff speak fluent English, are friendly and sometimes give you deals. I've never had to call them but all that I've encountered is what you'd expect. Normal service.

So bottom line. I doubt there's a better place for this budget range than here if you just need some peace and quiet for a night or two. Possibly there is but I haven't found it yet.

I suppose I'll just add that there were two times that they didn't have smoking rooms available for me and I had to go elsewhere. I'll just say that those two 'elsewhere' times were an eye opener. That's why I always come back to the Red Carpet Inn.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Craig B

Reviewed 23 January 2014

even though im not a big fan of the shelf centered people in Calgary ,with our stay at the red carpet inn was uniqe and enjoyable staff were friendly and helpful and were able to give a comp rate if needed also nice surrounding area no crime at all ,went for walks by the river with my wife and never had any problems whatsoever,police presents around the area to chase away any criminals and to keep the red carpetinn a safe enjoyable quiot sleep and visit from darwin

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 January 2014

I checked into this mouse infested dump mid September 2013 for a long term stay while looking to rent a space in the area for my new yoga studio. The carpet furniture drapes.. everything was disgusting dirty and smelled strange like moldy rotting food and stale booze. the bed spread hadn't been washed ever I don't think and smelled so bad that I just brought it down to the front desk and went without one as there were no other clean bedspreads

Throughout my stay I was continually harassed by the cleaning staff and other hotel guests for money hairdryers food cosmetics help.. . They would bang on my door . yell through my window or call my room at all hours of the day and night asking for money.. even if my no disturb sign was up.. they would still come knocking and often catch me in the middle of a Skype meeting with one of my paying students . When I asked once what the $40 was for she said she wanted to go out for a few drinks.. problem is.. I was barely surviving financially but she did not give 2 hoots about me.. ever . just take take take and NEVER EVER give back.. When I asked the owner to ask his staff to stop coming to my room and disturbing me I was told..it is not my problem.. you are just too nice to them . stop being so nice
One of the staff was eagerly trying to introduce me to her guy friend who was staying next to me.. and now I know why.. This guest and friend of both the owner and the housekeeper took me for a ride.. and when I screamed at him he the next day he admitted him and the staff member had a plan to rip me off
I am a very sick woman.. recovering from a major illness . I paid for this guest's room since he claimed to be broke and in lieu he was to run errands for me.. since most days I cannot even walk a few steps. But instead of running errands that evening the housekeeper shows up at my door looking for him.. She comes into my room.. uninvited by me.. he goes to the liquor store and buys a great big bottle of booze for her (hmm all of a sudden he has money for booze) .. she proceeds to get falling down puking drunk in my room.. demands a massage.. demands I stop working and party it up with them.. demands this that everything . After unsuccessful attempts to get them to go party in the room I rented for him I ended up going into my bathroom ,. locking the door and hiding until he finally dragged her out at about 2 AM . I desperately needed to get some work done that evening but it never happened
After they left my now trashed room I discovered things missing . my computer had been toyed with and all my cash was gone.. he did not know where I hid my cash but she did.. hmm.. when I approached the owner one morning about this I was told that it is my fault .. I am too nice to people and I should either pay that day now or get off his property immediately even though check out is not until 11 . I had no choice I had to leave since they had stolen my extra room key . all my cash and I was not able to work that next day because of my computer problem and up all night trying to fix it to no avail..
The other housekeeper.. the one who consistently asked for money and help cleaning her rooms promised me she would come by to help me pack but.. she never showed up as promised so every one of them screwed me royally because I was too nice..
What I learned about the Red Carpet Inn
None of the staff (except Shu the oriental lady on weekends) cares about you.. most of them will take full advantage of you so please protect yourself.. take your valuables and cash with you .THERE ARE THIEVES LURKING EVERYWHERE
Used bed sheets do get changed but.. only if they are visibly dirty.. I was incredibly shocked to see this.. especially since they cater to prostitutes.. BRING YOUR OWN SHEETS . one guest found a used tampon is his bed.. another a used condom
Deadbolt your door and do not open your window.. one guest came out of the shower to find an ex-employee naked in his bed.. he later found out she had snuck into another room and robbed them for a couple hundred dollars and jewellery
Do not even bother bringing your problems to the owner he does not care about you.. He cares only about prostitutes who give him services in lieu for room fees so.. if you are not willing to dole out a blow job then.. you definitely want to keep driving.. go to the Centro across the road or Days Inn and if all else fails call me I will put you up.. You do not want to use this motel not even as a last resort.. it is not at all safe and please.. spread the word..

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
6  Thank kymberly C
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Booked in for a weeks stay. Had to go to the front desk to get fresh towels and was refused.
1 of 2 beds were made only once in 7 days and the top sheet was left on the chair???? Was scalded multiple times in the shower every day. Smelled terrible. There is lots more.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else. Seriously.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Drew R
Reviewed 19 February 2013

The rooms carpet wasnt clean when me my girlfriend and son moved in for a month in room 45 there cigarette burns on the sheets and blankets cigarette butts in the running boards the first couple days seen a mouse running around our room no coin laundry stains on our bathroom wall grease stains all over the sheets a wierd smell got stronger and stronger over the month was unsafe to walk around and drug dealing going on in one of the rooms overall not a good place for a family to stay

• Stayed: January 2013
3  Thank JimboSlice23
Reviewed 26 December 2012

Stayed during Stampede week of 2012 and no other hotels were available in Calgary so we chose to go with this one for i believe about 100 cad per night. Which was a very good rate during Stampede Week as other hotels charge 200+ per night.

However, with this we did pay with the quality of the room. The room smelt smokey (cigarette smell), cheap sofa, old T.V, and dark and gloomy room. The sheets seemed cleaned but my wife still put her blanket and towel on the sheets just to be sure.

What made up for this was the customer service from the front desk staff, a lady don't recall her name but she was older with blonde hair, had a very good attitude when I went to ask for a hairdryer. I guess they don't keep them in the room as they have a theft problem. But she was nice through check in and check out :)

I would personally not stay here again as I need to be in a comfortable place in order to get a good nights sleep. But I can see it as a valuable hotel for people who want to save a buck or two.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RandHVacations
Reviewed 6 December 2012

Hotels in Calgary are particularly expensive - and it is quite difficult to find any under $100 an night, especially if you wish to stay close to the main highways and freeways. The Red Barn is an exception. It is right on Hwy 16, close to the University of Calgary campus. On the other hand, since it's relatively inexpensive, you can't expect much...The motel is showing its age. The rooms are extremely "plain" but clean and all feature a kitchenette with a microwave oven and a fridge. There is A/C but it's extremely noisy. The TV are the old-fashioned ones but at least there is cable. A rarity these days, the motel offers you the choice of smoking or non-smoking rooms! As I said, if you're not willing to spend a lot of money for a place to spend the night and aren't too picky, the Red Carpet pretty well fits the bill.

Room Tip: Make sure you know whether you're getting a smoking or a non-smoking room.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business