“Average Stay, Poor Customer Service”

Sheraton Cavalier Hotel
Ranked #42 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Yellowknife, Canada
“Average Stay, Poor Customer Service”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Thank you for reading my review of the Sheraton Cavalier Hotel in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. I stayed at this location for 6 nights in April 2014. I would not recommend this location for any co-workers or friends and will likely not be staying here again.

Check In - After a long day of travel, I checked into the hotel late Sunday evening, expecting a Club Level room as advertised and proven on my reservation confirmation; I had been excited about this reservation as I was not away of any Club Level and after learning about the additional services, was looking forward to it. However, the front desk clerk informed me that my reservation was for a King room, not club level and I was in no mood to argue, though I did mention and show him the reservation inform stated Club Level. Discouraged, I went to my room to rest, already starting my stay in a poor mood.

Lobby - The lobby is nicely decorated, a very large open space with lots of seating in the lounge area. The one issue was that access to the elevators from the lobby was narrow and seemed to a gathering area for groups of people, including children carrying over sized hockey bags.. This made it very awkward to pass by them to get to the elevators.

Room - The room was nice, lots of space and a good view of the mountains and downtown Calgary skyline. The windows were in tremendous need of cleaning, the outside of them was very dirty, causing no picture of the mountains to actually turn out. Best yet however was a imprint of a child's hand on the window, likely after handling something sticky. I noticed the hand-print on day two of the stay and it was still there when I left 5 days later - completely neglected by cleaning staff. The bed was comfortable, but the pillows were far too soft. I asked the front desk on two occasions (once by phone and once in person) for harder foam pillows, but they never arrived.

Amenities - The pool was below average. While the facilities were large, they are in need of deep cleaning and repair. The sauna has so many loose boards, you need to be very careful where you step. There is a cafe in the pool area which is very nice, a great incentive for families to stay longer. There were two hot tubs, one however was sectioned off; the other was fine, warming than what I expected; and even though there was a sign not allowing children under 10 in the hot tub, there was a 4 year old with her mother, while 2 staff looked on and did nothing to enforce the rule. I was not able to relax in the pool area at all, it is certainly catered towards families experience and not relaxation.

Restaurant - The breakfast restaurant, Colors, was a big disappointment. I tried it on two occasions, once for the Eggs Benedict which I did not enjoy, the eggs were over cooked, potatoes undercooked, and the Hollandaise sauce was made from a powder, not from scratch. I tried it again a few days later for their buffet but was disgusted by the grease level in every warm item they served. I opted for fresh fruit from the local market instead of breakfasts at this location. I did not try Carvers, their steakhouse onsite, after hearing

Room Service - I managed to get a couple orders of room service in during study periods of my stay. I would say that the deserts were fantastic, and the entrees are not worth the money. I have attached pictures of the orders. Their Chocolate Mousse Torte was great, rich and light; baked apple pie was good; the chicken breast was small and over cooked; the bruschetta was overcooked and hard, the tomatoe topping was heavily salted for some ready, but the roasted garlic was a great touch.

Room Tip: South side offers a Mountain view
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Gordupnorth
Adriana M, Public Relations at Sheraton Cavalier Hotel, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
I have responed to your review via our Starwood website, but in the event you have not gotten a chance to see it, I will post the same response here, in hopes you may contact us to discuss your stay:

Thank you for taking the time and patience to post your review. I would like you to know that your comments have been reviewed by key members of our management team, and will assist us in improving our service and our product. We would however, like to invite you to contact Scott Wells, Rooms Division manager at 403-250-6322 to discuss your stay in further detail. We welcome you to return again, with hopes to exceed your expectations.

Deepest apologies and kindest regards,

Adriana M.
Sales & Marketing Coordinator, Public Relations
adrianam@sheratoncalgary.ca

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 12 April 2014

We visited Calgary for a mini vacation with our nephews. The hotel was just a short drive away from the zoo, and the water park kept us all happy!

We ate at the waterpark restaurant once, and the breakfast buffet as well. Portions run VERY large at the waterpark, make sure your little guys have a big appetite! There are no fridges in the rooms, so we wasted a lot of left overs.

Likke the other reviewers, we found the hallway noise a little loud, probably due to the thin doors. Beds were very comfortable, with thick heavy duvets.

All in all, we enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Manchester, New Hampshire
Reviewed 10 April 2014

It has been quite a while since I stayed at this property and honestly, I was dreading it as I expected a long week of travel followed by a final stay at a dated old hotel. I was surprised as they had renovated some time back. Parking is now free which was a welcome surprise. The room updates are now in keeping with Sheraton standards and were in very good condition, clean, etc. The staff was friendly as well-overall, a great stay at a renovated property that is located around many fine eating locations, easy highway access back to the airport, etc.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Adriana M, Public Relations at Sheraton Cavalier Hotel, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Thank you for giving our property another chance, and we value your feedback. We are glad to hear you were pleasantly surprised by our renovations, something that, if you haven't experienced before, can be quite the change! Your overall experience is valuable to us, as it dictates whether we truly lived up to the Sheraton brand standard and its wonderful to hear that it was a positive experience for you. We kindly invite you to return again when in Calgary, and hope you can enjoy our property again in the future!

Regards!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Far and away one of the nicest Sheraton properties I've stayed at. Between the lobby and the rooms the hotel is a pleasure to stay at. Very spacious and inviting. All of the staff was extremely friendly and helpful.

Far warning the slots & video gaming machines in the sports bar can get addictive and expensive quickly. The property is conveniently located near the hotel making it a good option for coming and going.

Room Tip: the 2nd floor has access to the water park - if you have kids A+, if not, stay on a higher floor. Al...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Adriana M, Public Relations at Sheraton Cavalier Hotel, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
It was a pleasure to read your review, and your feedback is appreciated! We are very proud of our recent renovations, and it is feedback like yours that makes our renovations a true success. What is most exciting is that your experience with our staff was memorable and noticeable. You are very right when saying that the location of our property is conveniently located near the airport. With the re-opening of Barlow Trail later this year, it will be even more convenient for our guests to access the airport. Your recommendations are sound as well when it comes to our second floor- an A+ choice for families with children, as pool access is on the same floor! We encourage you to stay with us again, and hope to be your choice hotel when in Calgary.

Kind Regards!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Stayed here March 18-20 2014 for business and found this a much better hotel than another one close by. Looks recently renovated and rooms are updated and clean with all Sheraton amenities.
Bathroom is a little small. Elevator response is good. Staff helpful when required. Did not eat or drink in hotel but looked and prices are typical for a hotel of this level. Location is great to most everything and can walk to local restaurants and airport is close too.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Adriana M, Public Relations at Sheraton Cavalier Hotel, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
It is always nice to here when guests like yourself enjoy our recent renovations, and also our location! It is great you were were able to use the accessibility of our property to your advantage. You are very right in saying the airport is near- just a quick 15 min drive on our complimentary shuttle! We are happy to say that once Barlow Trail re-opens May of this year, that drive will be reduced to 8-10 minutes, weather permitting! It is especially gratifying to here that our staff were helpful when you required, thank you for again for your kind remarks. Next time you stay, we hope you can take advantage of our food & beverage options. We look forward to serving you again in the near future, and invite you to stay again!

Kindest Regards!
Sandpoint, Idaho
Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

Starting staying there about ten years ago, it was great at that time. Stayed there last week and was very disappointed. Very overpriced for what you get. Two nights in a row we asked to have extra pillow & towels brought up, it never happened. We also used to love going to their steakhouse Carvers, the last two times it was not good. Wish it was like it was ten years ago. We all used to love going to the water park, not just the kids, but it is very run down and grungy looking now. They either need to make some big changes or charge a lot less to make it worth the stay now.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank D W
Adriana M, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Cavalier Hotel, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. It is unfortunate that you were not satisfied with your stay, and for that I sincerely apologize. We are beginning the process of completely rejuvenating Carver's steakhouse. Later this year, Carver's will be shut down to undergo extensive renovations, along with a new and reinvigorated menu. Hopefully you will return to find these changes both refreshing and up to Starwood standard. Our pool area is regularly cleaned and maintained, and our snack bar in the pool area has recently been gutted and renovated. Again, later this year our operations team are looking to make some extensive physical changes to the pool area.

In regards to the delivery of the items you have requested, I would like to invite you to contact myself directly so that we may look into the matter for you. You have our sincerest apologies. Please feel free to contact me with any other concerns you may have, and I also welcome you to return, so that we may exemplify the service we know to be true to our property.

Kind Regards,

Adriana
Sales & Marketing Coordinator
adrianam@sheratoncalgary.ca
Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

We had a nice weekend stay-cation with our 3.5 year old. Hotel was clean, friendly & newly renovated. Room service was delicious & beds were comfortable (aside from the pull out, which is always flat & sad at a hotel).
My only complaints: bathroom is incredibly small & the pool/water park is very cold. The water slides were amazing & the 2 hot tubs & pool were a nice temperature, but the air is very cold. I was hoping to lounge & soak in humidity & heat but you need to be covered up when not active in the pool, there were many people huddled under towels on chairs trying to stay warm.
We would return, but don't expect to sit back & "lounge" while the kids play. The seating is lacking & you'll need long pants.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Adriana M, Public Relations at Sheraton Cavalier Hotel, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are always happy to hear back from travelers, and one can’t deny that our Signature Sheraton Sweet Sleeper beds offer remarkable comfort! You are correct in saying the pool temperature is nice (all meet Alberta Health guidelines) but the air can get cold! It is unfortunate that it was not accommodating. We have passed this information on to our operations team, and we would like you to know that over the summer we will be replacing several doors and windows to ensure the comfort and relaxation of our guests. If there any other concerns you may have about our property we invite you to contact us directly at our main line 403-291-0107. We look forward to serving you again and hope to be a choice hotel for your family in the future.

Warmest Regards!