“Very convenient”

Ranked #36 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
SK
“Very convenient”
Reviewed 3 May 2011

This is a great hotel for downtown location. very convenient to everything. The rooms were a great size and the bed was comfortable. What was dissapointing was that the toilet rim under the seat was absolutely disgusting stained. Only discovered this when sitting at the dining table which gave plain sight to the toilet . The bathroom door is right across the dining room and my husband left the door open and the toilet seat up. I was sitting down drinking my coffee and looked up and saw gross brown stains on the toilet. This was not a great sight to see while drinking my morning coffee. It also made me wonder how clean the room was. I did call down to housekeeping and they were well aware of this as they said, oh, it is a stain we can;'t get rid of. I will send someone up with some chemical cleaner to see if this will remove it. My thoughts were, if it was that badly stained and cannot be cleaned, shouldn't it be replaced ? My only other complaint was that our booking did not include parking and found that very expensive. We were staying for a saturday and a sunday night, checking out Monday morning. We were informed that parking on weekend would be, $8.00 /night but rate for Sunday escalated to $36.00 for sunday as this rate allowed you to park into monday which is a weekday. I would not have had an issue paying this amount if we were left our car parked for monday to shop downtown, however there should be some consideration given to people who check out monday morning and do not leave car in the lot.
Other than these two issues, the hotel itself is good for the price we were able to obtain it at.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mimi2009
InternationalCalgary, General Manager at International Hotel and Spa Calgary, responded to this review, 5 May 2011
Thank you for taking the time to pass along comments regarding your recent stay with us.

First of all thank you for your business and we are happy your overall your stay with us was positive. After receiving your email we asked our housekeeping staff to inspect and replace any seats showing signs of age or stain.

The outside Parking contractor based on current downtown rates unfortunately sets parking costs. Most of our Twitter specials include free parking and Internet so please follow us on Twitter or Facebook to keep abreast of some great deals on stays with us throughout the year.

Once again thanks for the feedback, which we treat very seriously so as to keep improving every aspect of the Hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
Canmore, Canada
Reviewed 8 April 2011

I have stayed at this hotel many times, every time i find the staff friendly , the rooms clean and very spacious. The room service is fast, and the quality of food is always very good. Located downtown near the princes island park and close to the calgary tower and other sights i always find it is easy to park my car and i am able to walk most every where. The hotel is connected to the walk way (plus 15 ) i think so on the colder days you can get around most of downtown with out leaving the comfort and warmth of the inside.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chrisk1323
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 4 April 2011

I stayed here for a week on business. The hotel was realyl clean and the staff was very helpful. All rooms are suites so you get a bedroom, sitting room, kitchenette and bathroom. It felt like a small apartment which was really nice when you are away for an extended period of time. It was nice to be able to sit at the big table in the morning, or relax on the sofa in the evening and watch tv. The washroom was very nice, clean and had all the amenities. My only complaint would be that the room got cold (especially the bathroom floor) - however it was -38 outside at the time.
When I left, there was a mix-up with the airport shuttle arrangements but the front desk staff personally drove me to the airport in the hotel car at no charge to make sure I made my flight - now that is service!
I ordered breakfast every morning in my room and the food was excellent - lots of choices and great value for the price. I also ordered dinner a few times and they always served it promptly and hot!
The swimming pool was closed for repairs when I was there, which was disappointing, but there was a fitness center on site.
I would recommend this hotel in a heartbeat!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank LizMacOttawa
Medicine Hat, Canada
Reviewed 27 March 2011

You should be very proud of the staff you have!!. Jason was very friendly and so helpful....you rock! I would stay again not only because the rooms are clean and well kept but because everyone was so nice. Thanks again for the great stay! Next visit to Calgary I will be staying at the international.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Krissy154920
Reviewed 3 March 2011

All I can say is wow, I was treated so well by a charming young bellman, his friendliness really made our stay pleasant and welcoming! He welcomed us and we trusted him with our bags regardless of the -30 degree weather. I highly recommend this hotel as the staff clearly cares about their customers. Overall the hotel is beautiful with spacious rooms, We will be back!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Foodfanatic567
invermere
Reviewed 1 March 2011

I stay in Calgary ,at least once a month ,Rooms/suites are spacious ,food is great ,well located ,indoor parking and you can walk everywhere in covered comfort

Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank johninvermere
Voorschoten, The Netherlands
Reviewed 1 March 2011

I recently visited The International Hotel Suites in downtown Calgary. I travel a moderate amount, largely for business. From booking a reservation, checking in, and right down to check out and getting to the airport .. this was a fantastic experience. The hotel reception was very friendly and helpful on the phone, and were able to assist me in getting an early checkin. Upon arrival, I had a last minute meeting develop... staff was very helpful by taking my luggage up to the room and they were even able to help me by providing a quick shuttle ride accross the downtown. My room was very spacious and nicely up dated. The location is fantastic (right in the core), not that I needed to leave for much other than work... the food is quite good in the restaurant, cafe and room service. Check out was smooth and easy. I was treated likely royaly here and at an great value (great rates). I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business