“Spacious and well located” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of International Hotel and Spa Calgary

International Hotel and Spa Calgary
Ranked #32 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Scotland, United Kingdom
“Spacious and well located”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2012

We stayed here the final weekend of the Stampede and enjoyed the large living area in the room, unusual for a city hotel. The separate bedroom overlooked the street, but there was very little noise on the 16th floor. The large living-room has armchairs, sofa, TV, dining table and chairs, and a small kitchen area. There is a large walk-in wardrobe in the bedroom and another TV. The hotel lobby is fairly small, there is a shop, and a bar/restaurant, upstairs there is a larger restaurant which we did not use. The 2nd floor gives access to the elevated walkway system, from here you can walk undercover to most parts of the city. I guess my only negative is that we had to pay premium rates to stay during the stampede, prices were 150% more expensive (we paid $895CAD incl taxes for 2 nights).

Room Tip: All rooms are opposite the lifts, but you will not hear anything from the bedroom.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hillcrestroad

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2012

Stopped here for just one night prior to catching the Rocky Mountaineer from Calgary to Vancouver, so really only used the hotel to sleep (arrived 10 pm left 5 am!). From this brief experience we were not disappointed. The check-in was easy and although there were two wedding parties taking over several floors, the front desk staff placed us in a room as far away as possible from the noise. The room was in fact a small suite with a kitchenette, living room, bathroom and bedroom. We had a very good nights sleep in a comfy bed - no breakfast, so cannot comment on the food.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms at the rear to avoid street noise.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank balbithan
Calgary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2012

I've stayed at International Hotel many times for a nice local get away with the wife and I. The rooms are spaciaous, clean, and the beds very comfy. The front desk staff is very pleasent. Last 2 times we stayed there for our anniversary & mentioned it to the friendly employee (JP). We were given complimentary wine & chocolates, along with room service breakfast which was a super nice touch. Also, the rates are fairly priced. We will definately return for another stay.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank whats_my_name_huh
Barrie, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2012

This hotel is a great deal. It was originally supposed to be a condo, so some rooms have a livingroom/dining room/ kitchen, and the a separate bedroom.

It is well located on 4th Ave at 2nd. There's a Timmies right around the corner.

Food in the restaurant is fairly priced for a large city and excellent as well.

The staff went out of their way to be helpful. We had a lot of luggage and were concerned about getting a cab large enough to get us to the airport. The bellman made arrangements to drive us in the hotel SUV.

What a deal!

We will certainly stay there next time we are in Calgary.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DougTheCanuck
Vancouver, BC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2012

I stayed at this hotel on business in early September. The hotel is very centrally located and I could walk to most of my appointments, although bus service was very convenient as well. When I arrived at the hotel I was somewhat concerned as I had been placed in a room between the ice machine and the elevator but I could not hear a thing throughout the night. Wifi internet is not free, but I was able to plug my laptop into the hardwire access free of charge. The Tim Hortons right across the street was very convenient for breakfast.

The restaurant was closed on the night I arrived and as a female traveller I was not entirely comfortable eating in the lounge. There were a lot of regulars who had clearly been there a while and almost no women. Once I was seated I felt more comfortable though, and the food was quite satisfactory. I also ordered room service for breakfast one day and was quite pleased with the promptness and quality of my meal.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Ailin01
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2012

I stayed here for a few days in the week of September 9th. The hotel is centrally located with large rooms, living room and kitchenette. It was clean but kind of had a medium range feel to it. You would not accuse it of being high end but you are not paying high end Calgary prices either. Friendly staff as well.
Certainly worth what I paid for it.
My only problem was that one night one of the elevators was out and we had to wait forever. There are only three elevators for 38 (?) floors.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank DJPlums
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2012

stayed 1 night at beginning of our trip through Rockies. Very central location so ideal for seeing the city. We found the room huge with seperate lounge and kitchen (we only had the basic room). Everything was clean and we had a great sleep as it was quiet despite being in the city. Breakfast was nice, we had a la carte as did not like the look of the buffet.

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple