“Nice rooms. In the heart of downtown” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of International Hotel and Spa Calgary

International Hotel and Spa Calgary
Ranked #32 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Los Angeles, California
“Nice rooms. In the heart of downtown”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

This hotel is gorgeous. Beautiful rooms with wifi included. Everything is close by. Shopping is only 10 minutes walk away, bars and restaurants are everywhere and all within reasonable walking distance depending where you're going. Very busy hotel and suprising quiet in the evening. We had 2 rooms booked for 5 nights and will be headed back home shortly.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
Red Deer
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Booked on their website for a friday night stay. Free breakfast, parking, wifi for $130 a night.
Very busy hotel, lots of people checking in luggage everywhere, lots of out of country people. So first impressions were not great.
Got up to the room and it was huge. 2 bedroom suite, king bed, 2nd bedroom with twin beds, huge living room and 1 bath room. Kitchen area with fridge and coffee.
Very comfy bed. Aircon worked good.
Went down for breakfast, free buffett breakfast with eggs, bacon and sausage too. Only comment on breakfast is they need better staff, he seated me at one table but then realised it was already taken by someone getting their food. Could be better organized.
Overall i would stay again as a great deal. Not as fancy as others downtown hence half the price. But clean and comfortable and good perks included in the price.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Whitehorse, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

Stayed at this hotel for one night in August 2014. The room was clean and comfortable, and came with breakfast included (which was good). Very convenient underground parking facilities.
Not far from restaurants downtown, even though this area of Calgary is very quiet after 6 or 7 p.m.

Vancouver, BC, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

Stayed at this hotel from August 11 - 13, 2014 for a business trip. The rooms were spacious and appeared to be clean. A free hot breakfast was included in the room fee but I did not end up trying it out. The location was suitable for my purposes but the area is fairly quiet after 6 p.m. and there are not a lot of shopping or restaurants in the immediate area.

The elevators were horribly inadequate - 3 elevators (when all are working, which wasn't the case for my visit) is not sufficient for a 35 storey building with the conference area on the 35th floor. The morning "commute" to the lobby was particularly brutal and required the same time it would take me to drive 25 km! The first morning was less difficult, given that I did not have luggage and managed to squeeze into an already crammed elevator after waiting for 10 minutes. The second morning, however, was much worse as I waited... and waited... and waited and then had to watch three full elevators go by. Finally, I pressed the up button to ensure I could actually get into an elevator. Ended up riding up from the 18th floor to the 35th floor, stopping at a number of floors where other guests had obviously tried the same thing. Got to 35 and then stopped AT EVERY FLOOR on the way down, where no one could get in after floor 33 as it was full.

When I finally got to the lobby, 25 minutes after leaving my room, it was a complete zoo as a tour bus of people were cluttered around. One of the couples, who looked to be in their 70's, had ended up taking the stairs down 17 flights with their large suitcases!

When I checked out I mentioned my issues with the elevator situation to the front desk but they didn't seem to care.

Would not recommend this hotel to anyone that is in a rush in the mornings or travels with a lot of luggage!

Room Tip: To avoid the elevators, choose a room on the lowest floor possible, providing you are able to take t...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
InternationalCalgary, General Manager at International Hotel and Spa Calgary, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Thank you for your recent stay with us and your taking the time to post an online review with TripAdvisor. We are happy you enjoyed our perfect downtown Calgary location.
Our sincere apologies with regard to your experience with our elevators. Unfortunately during your stay one of our elevators was out of commission due to a part being required to be flown in from out of town.
We are working with Otis Elevators to ensure the problem will not happen again in the future and that our elevators are programmed so that during peak morning times, service is as fast as possible for all of our guests.
Thank you again again for your business.
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

Good points first! The room was huge. Like an apartment without a kitchen. The AC was one of those units that is up above a door, kind of - but it cooled the whole place; it was warm when I visited and this was a necessity - the halls were very stuffy - no air moving.

The coffee in the room was stale; not good. The bathroom door opened into the bathroom, and the space was tiny by comparison to the rest of the place - there was a large "dining" table (?) - apparently, these used to be apartments.

Wi-fi was excellent. Can't complain about that...

The little lady who ran the bar one night when it was the only place I could find to eat, was a sweetheart. She made sure I got food - and the tuna on kale salad was great! She made a great G&T, as well! French onion soup - standard fare. It was all good, as I was starving. Apparently, this hotel got swamped in the flood and some of the bar/lounge and other areas took on damage. Anyway - that was a good food story.

OK, and then there was the tour bus. I was working this week. I needed to keep on a schedule. I got up every day to be at the breakfast down in the basement restaurant at 6:30 sharp, when it opened. People always were queued up waiting each day. There is a bottle-neck, as you have to be checked-in and escorted to your table. Not sure why, but I guess they have to account for you. Every day it was something.

The first day, the hostess-waitress got contentious with me because I did not want to sit facing a wall at a granite bar - I wanted a table. There was nothing much that I could eat - lots of pastries - what I call "junk" breads - but you could make waffles, if you wanted to decadent, and there was lots of meat - and scrambled eggs every day - which I really don't care to eat off a buffet - a little "juicy" for me - the fruit was okay - some days the melon tasted like a gourd, but this can happen anywhere.

I complained about the food to the manager where I learned that I could get poached eggs, but it would cost me extra. The next day I ordered them, and actually, the manager did not charge me. He was a good guy.

The second and third days there were hoards of people from a tour bus, waiting to get in - and of course, delays - and I am NOT a morning person... My last day there, I was seated, I poured my coffee and water, put my newspaper down and went to grab a plate of food. I returned and the hostess was seating people at my table! She left it to me and the people who did not speak my language to sort out if they could sit there. It was a chatty lady with her family. I am not a morning person, I am saying this a second time. I gave up and found myself another place to sit. Can you say grumpy?? I basically had to hoover my breakfast at that point... What a silly situation - the waitstaff in the morning are not very friendly - mainly, they shuttle refills of beverages from the kitchen to the pouring station - you have to flag one down if you want to request something. Not the same model as some of the other hotels that offer breakfast, but again, it's different.

Would I ever stay here again? Only if I did not have to suffer through the situations at breakfast that I encountered. I think it has more potential if someone re-did the process flows... They need to offer more healthy options... But probably, for most people, it was fine.

The staff were very nice - the rooms were fine - the lounge/bar was a good place - but, the ambiance was just weird - can't put my finger on it, exactly, it just had a bit too much of weirdness for my tastes...

Room Tip: The room I had was on the front of the hotel - it was a bit noisy - but ask to be away from the stre...
      Rooms
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
InternationalCalgary, General Manager at International Hotel and Spa Calgary, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Thank you for your recent stay with us as well taking the time to post your review. We are delighted you found our free high speed WIFI to be excellent as well as our free daily breakfast along with our friendly staff.
July and August are month’s with many tours staying with us whereas the rest of the year we don't experience the same early morning breakfast volume.
Your comments are appreciated regarding the flow of our free breakfast service. This is a new feature and we are working out the best way to handle this extremely popular service.
Thanks again for your business.
Media, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

We enjoyed this hotel. It was close to a lot and within walking distance of the Calgary Tower. The suite was wonderful and very big. There were 3 of us and we had 2 bedrooms, one with a king bed and 1 with twin beds, a large sitting room, dining area and kitchenette. All the beds were so comfortable What a pleasant surprise. The included breakfast was delicious with great choices, including fresh waffles you could make. The biggest problem was the elevators, I think 1 was broken and after waiting almost 20 minutes we finally walked down 5 flights of steps, not easy for my husband with knee problems. When we came up from the parking garage, I actually ran up a flight of steps to push the down button so we could get on the elevator with our bags. Every time we needed the elevator it was at least a 15 minute wait. Hopefully this will be resolved soon. Everyone who worked there were very helpful, very nice staff.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Location
      Rooms
Regina, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

We spent 4 nights at the International, after buying through Hotels.com. The location is central to downtown restaurants (4 blocks easy walk). The rooms are former apartments, so lots of room with a separate bedroom. Place has been updated in the last few years, so happy with upgrades. Our price included a hot continental breakfast each morning too. The lounge is a bit dated, but still friendly staff. The only issue is the elevators. They don't always work, and it can cause some issues when only 1 of 3 can be used to shuttle guests. They could use a freight elevator to take the pressure off the guest elevators.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple