International Hotel and Spa Calgary
Sheraton.com
US$183
US$174
  • Breakfast included
Best Western Plus Port O'Call Hotel(Calgary)(Great Value!)
US$130
US$112
Best Western Plus Suites Downtown(Calgary)(Great Value!)
US$158
US$114
US$102
US$90
US$510
Hotwire.com
2,948 results
All reviewsdining tableseparate bedroomliving areadowntown locationbusiness tripspacious roomcomplimentary breakfastgreat roomfront desk staffbow rivercoffee makeryogurtc trainfloorchinatownmicrowaveparkade
Reviewed 28 August 2014

We've stayed in a lot of hotels in downtown Calgary, and this was definitely the best deal. $135 for a suite with balcony, parking and a great breakfast! Largest room we've ever had, not as fancy as The Hyatt but it's the International next time for us.

Room Tip: As far away from the elevator as possible, kinda sounded like the C train!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank stevebruce
Reviewed 27 August 2014

OK Room are big yes

Bathroom is ... SMALL... wow is it ever small

I did like how the bedroom had its own room and doors. HOWEVER once closed it was real hard for A/C to get into the room and I stayed here in the summer!

Old furniture...

Free WIFI and Breakfast which was a buffet lots to choose from - some average foods - some tasty... so for being an average hotel I like how they throw that in there. Nice!

this hotel is great is just looking for average. anything more luxurious then search elsewhere

It was fine for what I needed it for! Im not hating this place, but not loving... in between!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Brad W
Reviewed 27 August 2014

I stayed their for four nights for the Calgary Stampede. Its a beautiful hotel right in the heart of downtown and close to shopping. They have a nice continental/hot buffet breakfast. The rooms were very big as the bedroom are separated from the living room. However, since the rooms were so large it made the bathroom very small. Another problem with the bathroom was the door was very close to the toilet and it hits the bathtub when the door is wide open.
My bed was a king size which was great and was so comfy. Also, it was quite but we stayed on the 30th floor.

The elavators were fine except for the day of check out it just seem to take forever to get to the ground floor. I just assumed while they were very busy with guests during the stampede. The staff were friendly from my experience. I did not use the pool as at the time it was not in use for maintenance and renovation purposes. I would come back again.

Room Tip: I guess have a room away from the elevators.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 August 2014

I stayed in this hotel last week for a business trip. Before I tell you of the pros and cons I see in this hotel, let me tell you that I tried to book myself into this hotel again for my next trip (September 15 - 26) and it appears to be sold out. I tell you that so you understand that despite the issues I faced below, I would still return.

PROS:

- Super comfy bed. I only used half of it, but it was so comfortable.
- Bedroom separated from rest of room; a small detail that makes hotels just that much "homier"
- Free bottled water. Appreciated touch for a sensitive-stomach gal like myself.
- Adequate wi-fi - was able to do everything I needed to at the speed I needed to (for business. If I were trying to play Battlefield 4 online or something, not sure it would have survived.)
- Loved the workout room. A bit small for the size of the hotel, but great equipment with heart rate sensors.
- Didn't use the pool - it seemed very small - but liked that there was a little basketball net in the pool as well.
- Beautiful location. Easy to get from and to.
- The staff (contrary to what one of the commentors below me had said) was absolutely wonderful to me. Every time I passed a staff member, or saw one in the elevator, they said "Good morning!" or "Hello!" and every time they left (in the case of the elevator) they wished me a good day. The room service I ordered came up with a very nice man (whom I can't remember the name of but I do remember his nametag had a smiley face on it) who was very polite and warm. All of the front staff I encountered were lovely as well.
- Very much enjoyed the - albeit very tiny - convenience store. Open late, this allowed me to get a "prize" for a training session I was putting on -- the trinkets in there are perfect for that sort of thing; and naturally I also picked up a Coke Zero. Very friendly folks in there as well.

CONS:

I will foreward this by saying that I understand that these all may be one-time occurrences but they happened and so I will list them:

- The water was out for quite a while; I got back to the hotel at about 3:30PM, there was a piece of paper under my door that indicated it had been shut off due to an emergency situation, and that they hoped to have it back on by 5:00PM. It was back on by 6:00PM -- no problem, these things happen. I only put this at the top to frame the next, more important point...

- A member of the staff entered my room while I was in there without announcing herself. I believe some retraining is in order. I used to work in a hotel when I was 17, and the first thing they told us - even if there is no sign on the door, you knock once (loudly, sturdily) - you wait 10 seconds - you knock twice - you wait 10 seconds - then you loudly say, "HOUSEKEEPING", turn the handle on the door, and then repeat "HOUSEKEEPING" (yelling) when you get into the room. In this case, I heard a light tap (which I thought was the pipes in the bathroom) and then suddenly my door was open and there I was in my pyjamas. There was no apology. Just an "Oh, hello, water out." she said, pointing to the paper slipped under the door. "...Yes, I know.." I said. "Oh, okay, bye." -- What the hell was that all about? I don't even understand why she entered or what she wanted! I'd initially thought she had come to remove the paper if the water had been turned back on, but the water didn't come back on for another half hour or so after her exit.
- No hot water for the rest of the day. It returned in the morning.
- The elevators are, as other commentors have noted, quite slow. Having read this, I timed a few of my waits. In some cases, the elevator appeared within 30 seconds or less - no problem. In other cases, it took 10+ minutes to get to the ground floor. Another elevator needs to be added, or the elevator system in place needs to be upgraded.
- The rooms were LOVELY ... until you went into the bathroom. It seemed quite clear that everything but the bathroom was renovated. The door hits the shower curtain rod. If I were to sit on the toilet with the door open, I wouldn't be able to close it - that's how small this was. The bathtub was old and worn.
- I'm a sucker for a good toiletry kit - but this hotel fell short. A trend amongst other hotels as of late is to offer the general 4 - conditioner, shampoo, lotion, shower gel; then 2 bars of soap - one for face, one for body - then a "vanity kit" with cotton balls, nail files, shower cap. Generally these all fall under the same brand, which I think strengthens the feeling of the organization of the hotel. In this hotel, the shampoo and conditioner and lotion were one brand, there was bath-stuff (maybe bubblebath? Unclear) that was another brand, and then a little square of a shoe polish thing from another brand .. and then a little bar of neutrogena soap. It wasn't necessarily BAD, it was just very strange and not on par with other hotels. The caps on the shampoo and conditioner also fell off very easily (attached by thin plastic.)

I've always wondered why hotels don't just mount those dispensers in the showers - locked of course so gross humans can't do gross things to the liquids within - with body gel, conditioner, shampoo - maybe Pantene or Dove or some other place you could pair up with? Put an advertisement for them on the dispenser, come up with some kind of deal. Saves counterspace, housekeeping wouldn't have to exchange them so often, there'd be less plastic usage... just a thought.

Anyway, I really liked the hotel except for the small points noted (except for the staff member entering my room which was totally unacceptable - if it happened again I would not stay here, and I would update with another comment.)

Also for the user who was commenting on scowling - only one gentleman had a scowl while I was there, and I feel it may have been the same person you indicated, by wondering if he was security -- I think he was a travel coordinator with the shuttles / buses or something; black rimmed glasses, grey hair? He struck me as grumpy as well. I avoided eye contact. But I think I would be grumpy too if I had to deal with busloads of tourists all day.

Room Tip: Choose a lower floor and take the stairs to avoid elevator waiting times.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank mulldacity
InternationalCalgary, General Manager at International Hotel and Spa Calgary, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Thank you for your recent stay and taking the time to post your review. We apologize for any inconvenience with respect to the water issue. We experienced a water main break and it was a fairly serious repair job to replace 16 feet of pipe. As part of the procedure we had to
Drain the entire building then replace the pipe and fill and heat the water, which is normally a two day job done however our team handled things in 6 hours. A remarkable accomplishment given this rare event.
We certainly could have done better entering your room - this was unacceptable for sure and we have held a team meeting to ensure proper procedures are followed at all times.
Hotels have tried to put soap dispensers in showers and as much sense at it makes, it has met with a terrible response from the travelling public.
Thanks again for your comments and business.

Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

This was our second time staying at this hotel. Our experience was pretty much the same both times with the exception with the breakfast which has changed from a very nice continental to a hot buffet.

This is a very nice property. The rooms are well appointed, spacious, very clean and confortable. The breakfast is a hot buffet with eggs, bacon, sausage, home fries, make-your-own waffles, some fruit and yogurt but little to no variety day to day and the pastries were really stale.

The customer service however is absolutely horrible! The uniformed staff member scowled at us as we entered the hotel. If he is meant to be security he should be more identifiable as such, but if he's the doorman, worst welcoming ever! Then we get to the front desk where no one looks up to greet us then when one agent finally does, we're "greated" with yet another scowl and she says "what do you need?" No hello or welcome or how can I help.

On our second night we ordered room service. Service was quick, food was hot, prices were reasonable, but again, the staff were so cranky. I open the door to find yet another scowling face, he says "where do ya wan'it" and walks into the room, puts it on the table and hands me the bill. I ask him how his night's going and all I get is a "fine" and an impatient look on his face. I even tiped quite nicely in hope of getting a little smile, but no, not even a thank you :(

The morning of check out there was a flood in the room above us, and water was leaking though the pocket lights in the bathroom so we couldn't use our bathroom. We called, they said they would send someone from maintenance to make sure it was safe and that maybe we could swap rooms to shower, but no one came, and no one called us back. We had a schedule to keep and had to leave. We understood that the flooding wasn't the fault of the hotel, but the follow up was seriously lacking. We did receive a small compensation at check out for our troubles.

I will say though that the housekeeper that was working on our floor on the Saturday morning was soooo nice and friendly!!!

We will probaly go back despite the bad service because of the location, breakfast, large comfortable rooms, cleanliness and overall value. My rating would be excellent if it wasn't for the poor service issues.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family