“Underwhelming” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #32 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Canada
“Underwhelming”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2010

This was my second stay at the hotel. The rooms are nice enough but there is something that seems to underwhelm me about this hotel. It feels dated. The staff look tired and uninterested. The gym looks like it hasn't been updated in well over a decade and only had two working treadmills. I have no specific complaint about the room, in fact it was very spacious, I just find the hotel a bit of a downer.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
Banff
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2010

My friends and I live in Banff and we had a close friend in The Foothills hospital in Calgary and our employer was kind enough to arrange 3 nights accomodation at the International.

When my friend and I arrived late at night we were greeted warmly by the front desk staff and check-in was a breeze. They offered us valet parking and breakfast for two each morning.

We had a 2 bedroom suite which was very spacious with two good sized bedrooms, a squeaky clean bathroom and a balcony overlooking the city. In our room upon arrival we received a personally signed welcome card and basket of assorted sweets and savory foods which was a lovely touch as we were there under extreme circumstances and had been at the hospital from the early morning. I must also say the beds were incredibly comfortable.

I had breakfast with my friend the following morning and all the restaurant staff were very friendly and the service was prompt. My eggs benny was also very delicious unfortunately I wasn't too keen on the hash browns, which were more like roast potatoes.

We had complimentary use of the hotel shuttle to and from the hospital at anytime we wanted which was very convenient as we didn't need to pay high parking fees at the hospital. Even when the morning driver forgot to organize the shuttle in the afternoon for us, the hotel paid for our cab ride back from the hospital - no questions asked... Now, that is what I call service.

Thank you very much to all the staff at the International for making our stay there as enjoyable as can be during a very stressful situation, we highly recommend your hotel to anyone who needs a carefree stay in Calgary.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank Ohnmar
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2010

Really lovely hotel, very clean. More or less had the pool to ourselves on a daily basis. In a good location. Would stay there again if we go back.

Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank AlisonDinsdale
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2010

First off, I stay at hotels quite often but since I usually am in different cities for concerts or hockey games and am usually partying, I dont often stay at nicer hotels since I am usually not in the room for very long. The International is easily one of the nicest places I've ever stayed at though. It is right downtown in Calgary and is in the newer part of Calgary (It is right beside the Westin).

We were checked right in and they put us up in the 33rd floor and the view outside was absolutely stunning. It wasnt your typical view of mountains and stuff like that but the brand new buildings all around looked awesome. You'd have to see it to know what I'm talking about. Our room was very nice, the only thing was the bathroom was a bit small compared to everything else. Loooots of space, it was nice having a table and chairs to sit at so me and my friends could be social before our concert. The other thing I wish had changed would be that the couch pulled out into a bed but that was no big deal. The bedroom was large and the king size bed was nice.

The location was good, there is a Tim Hortons across the street and a Keg beside the hotel. A convenience store was down the street next to a liqour store so that was a bonus too. Not too much to do right around the hotel, you have to walk to find places, but there is a train that can easily take you to the Saddledome which is only a couple stops away.

ONE FINAL NOTE - DO NOT SMOKE ANYWHERE ON THE PROPERTY, NOT EVEN THE BALCONY. I WAS CHARGED 440 DOLLARS FOR SMOKING OUTSIDE ON THE BALCONY. I WAS REFUNDED THANK GOD BUT ITS NOT WORTH IT!!!!!!!!!!! THEY WONT TELL YOU THE POLICY WHEN YOU CHECK IN JUST THAT ITS NON SMOKING.

Hotel was very clean and I will definitely stay here again. 264 dollars for a weekend stay fri-sun with a king size bed, kitchen, amazing view and great location.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank ChrisJordan
Christchurch
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2010

We stayed here New Years eve and the hotel was very busy. Our room was next to the elevators and was very noisy so we asked it we could be moved and the staff we able to shift us. We had two seperate rooms as our daughters are old enough to have one to themselves so everyone was happy. The staff were fantastic and the rooms were excellent. Handy location, a 10 minute walk to the Calgary Tower.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank AliKatChristchurch
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2010

I stayed here against the advice of my boss - who is a bit of a snob - who said "it was a toilet".

I have to say I found it fine, a bit of a contrast. The sitting area and bedroom had flat panel TV's and were fairly modern looking, but the bathroom was a bit dated. Still fully functional, clean etc. just the decor looked a bit dated.

The suite idea is good, with a little table, microwave & fridge (no stove). Can't say I used it though!

Location wise it's alright. It's about 5 blocks from the main pedestrian bar/restaurant area, but in reality that's only a 5 minute walk.

If you get it at a reasonable price, go for it - but don't pay expensive money for it.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank hod01
Alberta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2009

We stayed at the International for Grey Cup (2 nights). The front desk staff were great, it was a bit crazy because everyone was coming in at the same time for Grey Cup but we didn't have to wait long!
The rooms were huge - for a pretty decent price, too. I know they are called hotel suites, but I have heard that before and it is just a bit bigger than a regular hotel room. This one had a small kitchen area with a large kitchen table and a nice seating area, then the bedroom off to the side with closing doors.
They recently renovated and it was comfortable and looked great.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple