“Huge rooms, good accomodations and service”

International Hotel and Spa Calgary
Ranked #40 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 17 February 2011

I had a good experience while staying at the Calgary International. The check-in process was fast and efficient and the staff was very kind.

The room seemed spectacular to me: spacious, comfortable, with separate areas for work, relax, meals and rest. The heating system was very good (very silent, which I really appreciate). They offered me a room in a high floor so I enjoyed a fantastic view.

I didn't like the place where they served breakfast so I decided to order it to my room by leaving the tag on the door every evening. This service was very good and efficient (very punctual and accurate).

It would be great for a hotel of this kind to have a better restaurant. The one I visited was too small and noisy, with not too many food options.

Though I found this hotel average for its category, the quality of the rooms (also in their decoration) makes it a great option for business travelers.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank DayDreamerTraveler

Reviewed 6 February 2011

This hotel could be ok but service leaves a lot to be desired. The rooms are spacious, but I don't understand why the living area is so big & the bathroom so tiny that you can barely close the door with one person inside. When we arrived at 6pm, nobody came out to help us. My husband actually got a bell cart and loaded the luggage himself...then the bell guy casually sauntered out and didn't offer to take the cart he just let us take it to the room!!! He said he could park our rental car for us, but the next day it had a $65 ticket on it. The front desk acted like I had got the ticket myself & finally said they'd take care of it. Somehow I'm sure it'll be on our rental car bill. Speaking of the front desk...very unfriendly.
Room service is pretty fast, but we had several mistakes on every order, and they can only cook a burger well done....not medium only hard and dry and well done. Crazy.
There is no wireless internet...a basic necessity in 2011 for a hotel that touts itself for business. The plug in internet is so slow I couldn't even download the new update of itunes. It's also very loud. There are only 6 suites on every floor, so you hear the elevator constantly and strange plumbing sounds.
I've travelled all over the world, and this hotel rates down near the bottom which is a shame. Wireless internet and friendly service would go a long way!!!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank rooche
joed2xironman, General Manager at International Hotel and Spa Calgary, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2011

Thank you for taking the time to express your comments. First of all we apologize for not meeting your expectations during your recent stay with us. If you are returning to Calgary in the near future, we would like to offer a complimentary night to acknowledge our disappointment that we did not meet your expectations. You will be glad to know WIFI in all rooms is being installed as we speak. Again thank you for sharing your concerns, which allows us to work harder in ensuring a world-class experience at the International Hotel.

Reviewed 4 February 2011

Luckily I booked this hotel for a reduced rate on line, as the hotel needs a good update with its amenities and common areas.
My main concern was the fitness facility, the cardio equipment is either beat or does not work and no weight machine. I was actually laughing at how different it was when I actually arrived in the fitness dungeon.
For the service staff, a complete lack of attention to detail. Room service left in the room after cleaning, in room coffee not replenished etc.
One plus, the rooms are massive and have a nice sitting area, deck and wet bar. Good for a stampede party.
Price point, I would not spend over 170 for this hotel room downtown. Call the front desk and barter with them,

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Mike M

Thank you for expressing your concerns. We apologize that our fitness room was below standards during your visit. We appreciate feedback on all our amenities in the Hotel and our goal is to provide a world-class experience to all of our guests. You will be please to know a new all-purpose weight machine is ordered and expected to be in place shortly. Thank you again for bringing your concern to our attention.

Reviewed 28 January 2011

Many tour groups choose the International as they provide huge apt size rooms. I have always had two flat screen tv's, microwave and small refer in my room. Its just a great location with things to walk to. I like the free business center with free internet and printing. There are things close by and I like walking to the shops at Eu Claire Mkt and the restaurants close by. The walk along the path along the Bow River is also very nice. Overall a nice hotel with great staff and service.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank davidgmg
Reviewed 25 January 2011

In the center of downtown calgary just a few blocks from everything , china town and markets and eaton center.

Only 1 minus, a small bathroom.. rest is big.

Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 January 2011

Just wanted to write a quick review of the international in Calgary. It is an excellent hotel. Me and my friends had a 1 bedroom suite as well as the two bedroom suite. Rooms were very spacious, clean and modern. We had other friends staying in the Westin just down the street and it did not compare at all. The elevators were a bit strange but that can be overlooked due to the high quality rooms. Would stay here again in a heartbeat. Great value.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank foundationx4
Reviewed 31 December 2010

I stayed for 8 nights at this hotel, although it was a little expensive i genuinely could not find fault with this hotel. My arrival time was supposed to be 8:30 pm but due to adverse weather & a delayed flight i finally arrived at 4am & was greeted at the front desk by lovely polite & friendly staff. My room was very spacious & spotlessly clean with a big comfy bed!! I also enjoyed breakfast & an evening meal in the hotel & food was great. Location is brill, very central & within walking distance to several amenities including the Calgary tower which was a 5 min walk from hotel. There is also a shop located within the hotel which stocks everything you mite need during your stay.
All the staff i encountered ranging from the front desk to housekeeping & restaurant staff were so pleasant, polite & helpful. I had read a few bad reviews before my stay but the people that wrote them must be impossible to please cause this hotel gets 2 thumbs up from me!!!!!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo