“Great Room /great location great food”

International Hotel and Spa Calgary
Ranked #34 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
invermere
“Great Room /great location great food”
Reviewed 1 March 2011

I stay in Calgary ,at least once a month ,Rooms/suites are spacious ,food is great ,well located ,indoor parking and you can walk everywhere in covered comfort

Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank johninvermere

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Voorschoten, The Netherlands
Reviewed 1 March 2011

I recently visited The International Hotel Suites in downtown Calgary. I travel a moderate amount, largely for business. From booking a reservation, checking in, and right down to check out and getting to the airport .. this was a fantastic experience. The hotel reception was very friendly and helpful on the phone, and were able to assist me in getting an early checkin. Upon arrival, I had a last minute meeting develop... staff was very helpful by taking my luggage up to the room and they were even able to help me by providing a quick shuttle ride accross the downtown. My room was very spacious and nicely up dated. The location is fantastic (right in the core), not that I needed to leave for much other than work... the food is quite good in the restaurant, cafe and room service. Check out was smooth and easy. I was treated likely royaly here and at an great value (great rates). I will definitely stay here again.

1 Thank CoastalMikeR
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 1 March 2011

We meet monthly at the Internation Hotel Suites and keep coming back thanks to the great service and marvellous meals. We get exceptional value for money and amazing service. Our group loves it there!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank jp0nt
Indianapolis
Reviewed 23 February 2011

The Staff. You would think a big hotel like this would cater to the business traveller, but alas no. The hotel staff wasn't the friendliest. I had one clerk seem fairly annoyed that I and a co-worker asked to make arrangements for the car. When the car service called to tell me they had moved my pickup time, the lady at the front desk copped an attitude and said she had never heard of that before. She was actually snotty.

The Room. When I arrived, the room was like a sauna. It had to be almost 80 degrees in the room. It was ridiculous. The room was strangely oriented. Typically I sit in the bed with computer on my lap to work. But you cannot do it here. You have to sit in a strange corner of the room, removed from TV and comforts of bed and plug into the wall. The phone at my desk did not work, which I did not discover until someone called and I tried to answer. In order to get access to the internet, you have to CALL the front desk. I have to CALL you to get access? Strange. The connection speed was incredibly slow. It took me 10 minutes to type and send an email.

Room service. I called room service to order breakfast. When I first called, the phone rang over and over. Finally, someone picked up. When I said Yes, I would like to place an order for room service, the lady put me on hold and told me she was transferring to me to room service. Um, that's the number I called. She transferred me to a phone that rang and rang, then went to a busy signal. I called back and explained what had happened. She responded with "I transferred you to room service." Um, yes, and no one answered, then it went to busy. I was asked for my room number and was told someone will call you back. (apparently they cannot tell from the call). Of course I missed the first call because of the broken phone. I finally ordered and the food was delivered fairly quickly. A young man showed up at my door, humorless and very uninterested in working. I ordered an omelette and hash browns. I checked out the meal and noticed there was no salt, pepper or other accountrements. I asked for these and he sighed and said "I'll bring something back." Ok, since when do you serve food without condiments. I have never been to a hotel where they didn't at least give you a paper package of salt and pepper. He did return and when I answered the door, he just handed them over and walked away.

Miscellaneous. When house keeping came in, they didn't bother ro replace the toilet paper roll. Generally speaking the room was clean. The lighting in the bathroom is very strange and dim.

Overall, it was not a good experience. The location to the office was great - just right across the street - and I think that's the only thing going for it. I think on my next visit to Calgary, I will go for a quality hotel that may be a little farther away, but it will be worth it.

2 Thank LiddyC
InternationalCalgary, General Manager at International Hotel and Spa Calgary, responded to this review, 24 February 2011
While disappointed about the issues occurring as outlined, we appreciate this guest bringing these matters to our attention. Frankly dealing effectively with these concerns will help us improve the overall experience of our future guests.

We take the comments about our Front desk staff very seriously as its for many of our guests the tone setting experience for the stay. if at any time any of our guests feel they are not being given full and respectful attention by any of our staff, please bring this to the immediate attention of our General Manager.

On the issue of the Internet, we are committed to making the Internet experience at the International Hotel to be the best available in terms of convenience, cost and speed. We are currently upgrading all rooms so that WIFI is available 24/7. We will be working with our IT department to ensure we offer the fastest possible connection and download speeds available.

We have an outstanding housekeeping staff and undoubtedly the issue raised was an isolated incident which we offer our apologies on. Comments regarding the Room Service experience have been noted and we offer apologies and assurances that follow up actions by management have been taken so to ensure a polite, efficient and thorough experience is enjoyed by our in room dinning guests.
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 17 February 2011

I had a good experience while staying at the Calgary International. The check-in process was fast and efficient and the staff was very kind.

The room seemed spectacular to me: spacious, comfortable, with separate areas for work, relax, meals and rest. The heating system was very good (very silent, which I really appreciate). They offered me a room in a high floor so I enjoyed a fantastic view.

I didn't like the place where they served breakfast so I decided to order it to my room by leaving the tag on the door every evening. This service was very good and efficient (very punctual and accurate).

It would be great for a hotel of this kind to have a better restaurant. The one I visited was too small and noisy, with not too many food options.

Though I found this hotel average for its category, the quality of the rooms (also in their decoration) makes it a great option for business travelers.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank DayDreamerTraveler
Los Angeles
Reviewed 6 February 2011

This hotel could be ok but service leaves a lot to be desired. The rooms are spacious, but I don't understand why the living area is so big & the bathroom so tiny that you can barely close the door with one person inside. When we arrived at 6pm, nobody came out to help us. My husband actually got a bell cart and loaded the luggage himself...then the bell guy casually sauntered out and didn't offer to take the cart he just let us take it to the room!!! He said he could park our rental car for us, but the next day it had a $65 ticket on it. The front desk acted like I had got the ticket myself & finally said they'd take care of it. Somehow I'm sure it'll be on our rental car bill. Speaking of the front desk...very unfriendly.
Room service is pretty fast, but we had several mistakes on every order, and they can only cook a burger well done....not medium only hard and dry and well done. Crazy.
There is no wireless internet...a basic necessity in 2011 for a hotel that touts itself for business. The plug in internet is so slow I couldn't even download the new update of itunes. It's also very loud. There are only 6 suites on every floor, so you hear the elevator constantly and strange plumbing sounds.
I've travelled all over the world, and this hotel rates down near the bottom which is a shame. Wireless internet and friendly service would go a long way!!!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank rooche
joed2xironman, General Manager at International Hotel and Spa Calgary, responded to this review, 14 February 2011
Thank you for taking the time to express your comments. First of all we apologize for not meeting your expectations during your recent stay with us. If you are returning to Calgary in the near future, we would like to offer a complimentary night to acknowledge our disappointment that we did not meet your expectations. You will be glad to know WIFI in all rooms is being installed as we speak. Again thank you for sharing your concerns, which allows us to work harder in ensuring a world-class experience at the International Hotel.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 4 February 2011

Luckily I booked this hotel for a reduced rate on line, as the hotel needs a good update with its amenities and common areas.
My main concern was the fitness facility, the cardio equipment is either beat or does not work and no weight machine. I was actually laughing at how different it was when I actually arrived in the fitness dungeon.
For the service staff, a complete lack of attention to detail. Room service left in the room after cleaning, in room coffee not replenished etc.
One plus, the rooms are massive and have a nice sitting area, deck and wet bar. Good for a stampede party.
Price point, I would not spend over 170 for this hotel room downtown. Call the front desk and barter with them,

1 Thank Mike M
Thank you for expressing your concerns. We apologize that our fitness room was below standards during your visit. We appreciate feedback on all our amenities in the Hotel and our goal is to provide a world-class experience to all of our guests. You will be please to know a new all-purpose weight machine is ordered and expected to be in place shortly. Thank you again for bringing your concern to our attention.