“good but lacking in areas”

Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire
Ranked #9 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Prince George, Canada
“good but lacking in areas”
Reviewed 2 January 2014

the hotel has a bunch of wonderful staff and the location is superb. However maintenance and cleanliness is lacking. the room was not taken care of. stains in carpet, a desk that is way long overdue for replacement or refinishing. wood trim in the pool area that is in dire need of clear coating again. wall paper pealing in room and carpets that were filthy and dirty in the hallways.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Ella S, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your most recent stay at the Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire. I am sorry to learn that your experience was not to your expectations. In addition to our Sheraton Club Levels and Function Space that was completely enhanced this past summer, we are commencing the transformation of our Traditional Guest Suites to make your stay with us better than ever! We look forward to welcoming you back so that you may experience our enhanced property.

Ian Marceau, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Korean first
Calgary
Reviewed 31 December 2013

This was our fourth annual family staycation, in which we always celebrate our daughter's birthday, as it is so close to Christmas. We usually stay at the Westin, but this year changed things up a bit. The Sheraton outdid themselves, or should I say, Trevor, the concierge? My husband spoke to Trevor on the phone and let him know that it was our daughter's 12th birthday and asked if they could do something special for her. Trevor called back a few days later to let us know that we would be upgraded to a two bedroom suite and wanted to make sure that was alright. Of course it was!!!

Upon our arrival, my daughter was welcomed with a "Happy Birthday" by the front desk clerk. When we opened the door to the suite, there were a dozen balloons throughout and a small bag with little gifts. The kids were excited because they got their own bedroom, with a queen size bed each and their own TV. They were in heaven. We went out for lunch, came back and were greeted by a beautiful plate of desserts, including Happy Birthday written in chocolate. In addition, there was a plate of cookies. We were also given complimentary valet parking, which was an extra added bonus.

Trevor and the staff at the Sheraton went out of their way to make sure my daughter had a great birthday and that our family had a relaxing and fun staycation and we were most appreciative. We will definitely make our way there again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Ella S, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your most recent stay at the Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire. We are so thrilled you and your family enjoyed your stay. I will be sure to pass on your feedback to Trevor, he will be thrilled your daughter had an amazing birthday. We look forward to welcoming you back upon your return to Calgary.

Reviewed 27 December 2013

I am a loyal sheraton customer for years. We had an opportunity to stay at sheraton eau claire calgary during christmas. The location was good, service was poor and the room was missing tv remote. We checked in around 3 pm but had no one to help with out luggage. There were a couple of valets outside who were quick to remind us that we need to move our car. No one bothered to help us with luggage. Calls to front desk were never answered.

• Stayed December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your most recent stay at the Sheraton Suites Calgary. I am sorry to learn that your experience was not to your expectations. I can assure you that this is not a reflection of the service standards we pride ourselves on. I have shared your comments with my team and will review with them our procedures and service standards. We do look forward to welcoming you back at which time I hope to make amends.

Christopher Lake, Canada
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Simply an outstanding buffet for the price. Children 5 and under are free while 6 -12 are half price. Our check -in was speedy with front desk personnel very friendly and helpful. Room was very clean. The pool area was very well suited to our family and we had loads of fun. It was great to have our vehicle parked under ground and at the front door when we required it.

Room Tip: Simply make your needs/preferences known while checking in.
1 Thank peter k
Michelle N, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your most recent stay at the Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire. We are so thrilled you were impressed with our property and service. We look forward to welcoming you back upon your next escape to Calgary!

Ian Marceau
Banff, Canada
Reviewed 19 December 2013 via mobile

This is one of the most lovely hotels i have ever stayed at. The beds were so comfortable, lovely pillows and the staff was beyond polite and helpful. The location was great. The room was very spacious.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your most stay at the Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire. I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back so that you can experience another night’s sleep on our Sheraton Sweet Sleep Beds!

Ian Marceau
Goulds, Canada
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Nov - dec 4 nights
> Pros room and pool area and general areas clean
> Beds great
> Location good
> Valet service costly but worth it and for lack of another way to put it the bald gentleman very kind on this service - this hotel needs more staff like this guy.

> Cons : enough to not recommend
> This hotel did it's best to NOT extend our stay
> Seriously wait listed for days and a storm happened and many no shows and still an east coast mom and her five month old child and a west coast sister and her 20 month old child had to pack and go to another hotel
> This family reunion was great but needlessly interrupted by a move on our last night
> Our little family stayed 4 nights and would stay more if possible even though we paid over 320 a night on the last one and for internet which is silly
> I tried to speak to concierge about parking and extended stay needs but no attempts to contact us - waited two days
> I spoke to front desk manager who simply said here's my card next time you visit while my sister and I and our two children are in arms moving hotels
> I told front desk manager no concierge contact and I was certain rooms became free in hotel but not one offered to our family and he said sorry room vacancy was up and down and he did not deny that a room was likely available - sad communication indeed
> I could understand although not excuse if our family was high maintenance or loud but no (and we met in passing many parties staying for Xmas functions)
> We spent our days shopping sight seeing meeting friends etc...left treats for friend working pearl jam show and when I asked front desk if he received it they were like I don't know
> I am truly disappointed that this location is so greedy and would rather sell a room to potential corporate business than allow us to pay for a fifth night
> Our needs not met here and sad as other locations super friendly (like knowing your name)
> I asked for an extra night since arrival and night staff told me not to worry and I was on the list and it was looking good
> Also room service nice but one morning to surprise sleeping sister I went to order breakfast and bring it up . Well that did not go well at all. Restaurant staff unable to provide this service, did however allow me to purchase coffee, it was such an awkward exchange as they had to run around looking for sugar and leave the restaurant to go to the front desk to get change as could not charge to room , very odd
> I guess there was a reason why I never saw anyone eating in there during my stay
> No communication and literally no accommodation and a simple shrug of front desk managers shoulders is poor business.
> He told me my child was cute as I waited in the cold porch for valet service in the middle of a storm, gave me a business card which i managed to shove in my overflowing arms in my bag- and no solutions
> Yeah baby being wrapped in hats and down snow suits and blankets to brace the weather is cute
> I wanted to cry as this was super stressful to pack everything just to over for one night to another hotel in a snow storm and to Repack again and this guy is giving me a card and a flat disingenuous compliment to my baby.
> The too bad so sad approach here - keep that in mind if you worry about needing storm stays potential travellers or extended business plans

> Prediction : lack of a heart and customer service will eventually take it's toll here - with more selection and easier transit options why would you stay here? The staff here are not encouraged to smile or familiarize themselves with your name, the cost is more than double and in addition you pay for internet and parking (although parking fees are the norm).
> You can get better services and more facilities at outlying locations and for the cost of parking alone commute to your downtown event in minutes
> FYI corporations are cutting back on staff costs so if you think the business sector will bring the coin prepare yourself
> You
> Might have sold that extra night room to a business traveller for $400 a night but on average we were paying the same over time

so in closing I'll also enclose the likely Manager reply that is copy and pasted and used in response to all negative reviews of this hotel and keep with the theme of impersonal - seriously if you review previous reviews you'll realize I am not being malicious , just honest.

'Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of your most recent stay at the Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire. I am sorry to learn that your experience was not to your expectations. I can assure you that this is not a reflection of the service standards we pride ourselves on. I have shared your comments with my team and will review with them our procedures and service standards. We do look forward to welcoming you back at which time I hope to make amends.
Warm Regards,
Ian Marceau, General Manager'

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for the feedback. I am very sorry to learn of your recent experience. Your description suggests there were several instances of miscommunication. I have reviewed your feedback with the respective areas of the hotel, as it is not a true representation of our property. I would like discuss this with you further and encourage you to reach out to my office. You can contact me by email or phone: imarceau@sheratonsuites.com or 403-517-6623.

alberta canada
Reviewed 12 December 2013

This hotel is one of the best Sheraton i have stayed at. From time you arrive in the cab the staff make you feel right at home. They seem to remember your name and welcome you back by calling you by name. The bartender BEN in the irish pub again remember your name and your favourite drink. I would recommend this Hotel to anyone including my family members.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Ella S, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your most recent stay at the Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire. I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay and will be sure to pass on your accolades to Ben in Fionn MacCool’s Irish Pub. We look forward to welcoming you back. Thank you again for the recommendation.