“Location great, rooms crowded”

Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire
Ranked #11 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Dallas, Texas
“Location great, rooms crowded”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

Stayed here for a business trip and the location was great, just a couple of blocks to the Calgary office. The staff was friendly and helpful. However, to call these rooms "suites" is a huge overstatement. The rooms are not any bigger than a regular hotel room but the added walls to separate the "living" area from the bedroom just packed everything together. Then when you throw in all the extra furniture we hardly had room to move around. I do have to give them kudos for the walk-in shower, though. Excellent! The club/concierge level was a very expensive upgrade and while the appetizers were decent and the service terrific, they charged restaurant prices for wine and beer! $15/glass for a basic chardonnay when you are already paying top dollar for the access is really too much. After experiencing the club level amenities at the Royal Sonesta in Houston with complimentary wine, beer and cocktails the Sheraton Suites certainly paled in comparison. We also experienced a tremendous amount of noise from the patio bar across the street one night. I will probably look elsewhere for my next trip to Calgary.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Ian M, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Thank you for the review of your most recent stay at the Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire. I am sorry to learn we did not meet your expectations. I encourage you to let us know your concerns upon your next reservation so that we may provide a more spacious suite. We do hope you take the opportunity to stay with us again at which time we hope to make amends.

Ian Marceau, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Korean first
San Francisco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

This all suite hotel is located between the Prince Island parkland area and downtown.
Certainly walking distance to everything, including lively 8th Avenue. Good views (we prefer
downtown/most like the park view), some constructions sites (bit messy) on south side but
not offensive if up a bit higher. Particularly liked the 2 club floors (14 and 15) - own elevator
access, fabulous lounge with outdoor roof deck, scrumptious included breakfast (tasty!) and afternoon drinks/snacks (didn't have time to try). The regular rooms are just a little smaller (separate bedroom/living room - very comfortable!). The ground floor restaurant had great service - we ate lunch in the casual/bark side, food was good.

While in Calgary, be sure to visit the Esker Gallery (also a neat alternate shopping area),
try Catch, Blink or Milestones for dinner/or lunch.

Room Tip: we prefer city views - 1403 - 1407, or similar on 15th floor (if available - that's where the cl...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to provide some detailed feedback from your most recent stay. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and are so glad you had an enjoyable experience! We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Greenville, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

My wife and I were concluding a month long trip to Alaska and Western Canada when we stayed here and we're glad we did. From the moment we pulled in to the drive way we felt welcomed and it only got better. We received an upgrade and had an outstanding mini suite which had recently been redone. The front end staff were very helpful as were the concierge people helping us get to and see some of Calgary's best. The train is about 5 blocks away which was very convenient as is a very wonderful upscale shopping area with great restaurants and gardens. The gym and pool were easy to get to and use and they even had a water slide for kids. If you're coming to Calgary for business or pleasure we feel this Sheraton is hard to beat.

Room Tip: We stayed in 1035 a lovely room
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your most recent stay. We are thrilled you enjoyed the location and outstanding service. We look forward to welcoming you back & thank you for the recommendation!

Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

I booked a $600/night room and due to my credit card being lost during my travels I had to put a $300 room deposit for incidentals. No big deal, however, when I went to go use the Internet, I was told I could not get access as I did not have a credit card on file. REALLY? $600 ROOM, $300 deposit and no $11 Internet. Ironically my room included free Internet, but I still needed a credit card. This is wrong on so many levels I am shocked.

Starwood...this is the year 2014 and the Internet is FREE everywhere. Even when not, MOST of us can easily get on the Internet with our smart phones. Please update your 1990's Internet policies. The Internet is NOT a perk anymore.

Also, when entering my room, all the lights and TV were on. I have seen this before and so I asked a maid and she said it was to make me feel at home. This is a giant waste of electricity and is not the sort of behaviour I would expect from a world wide company.

Finally the fancy box of macarons that were waiting in the room for me were old and very stale.

It is also worth mentioning that Starwood does not allow you to include your room rate in a review posted on their website and they screen all reviews before posting. This is such a scarcity mentality I am shocked.

Let's vote with our dollars and avoid Starwood hotels.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank MatthewLynch
I am sorry to learn of your recent experience. I would like to discuss this with your further and encourage you to reach out to my office. You can contact me by phone or email: imarceau@sheratonsuites.com or 403-517-6623.

Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

The friendliness and helpfulness of the hotel staff made this, my second stay, truly memorable.

From obtaining an office-style chair for the desk in my room, to enabling me to email some documents to the concierge for five-minute turnaround printing, no request was too difficult.

Thanks for being a welcoming home-away-from-home!

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank TimGlue
Thank you so much for the lovely review! We are thrilled to be your "home away from home". We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

I stay in this hotel every time I come to Calgary on business, which is about 3-4 times/yr. The hotel is all suites which I love bc I feel like I come home to an apartment rather than a hotel. The staff is ALWAYS friendly, helpful and quick. Check-in is efficient. Twice I've received upgrades to my room. Only once was I disappointed in the location of my room (wasn't a bad room but a lower level and the lights from street were bright into the window at night) but granted that was just 1-2 days after Stampede so the hotel was full. My company rate gets me free wifi at the standard speed which is plenty of speed for facetime chats with my son back home. Twice I've got access to the club. This trip it was re-opened after remodeling. I don't notice a huge difference but it's clean and breakfast is just right and convenient hours. Twice I wish the evening happy hour went a bit later when my flight was delayed coming in and I was too tired to venture out to find dinner. I've never used the pool but it looked nice and has a slide. I've used the gym which is adequate during the winter. In the summer...why use it? The park is just a block from the hotel! It's also next door to a YMCA. Housekeeping always does an excellent job every day. They provide a humidifier in every room which I desperately need bc Cgy is so much dryer than my hometown. Housekeeping is good to refill it everyday with water for me. Free apples at the concierge desk every morning...nice touch! Starbucks coffee in your room. Even the toiletries are great.
Overall this property is excellent. My 2 complaints above aren't really complaints but notes of very slight/minimal deviations from their normally excellent service.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank PreferToNotSay
Thank you for taking the time to provide some detailed feedback from your most recent stay at the Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire. I am delighted to hear you continue to receive the outstanding service we pride ourselves on. You have pointed out some of our finest amenities and services. We look forward to welcoming you back time and time again.

New Brunswick, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

We had no trouble finding this hotel with the help of our GPS even with all the reconstruction downtown.
It's close to a mall that has shopping, restaurants and a movie theatre. Also it's very close to Chinatown.
They have a very fun water slide and pool, which the kids enjoyed.
There is a charge for parking and wifi...or you can self park across the street.
Also there's a stocked bar in the room and a snack basket for purchase, something I haven't seen in a while.
And this has to be the first time that a maid has come to the room to introduce herself...it's funny how the simplest things mean so much. We found all the staff very friendly..

Room Tip: If traffic noise bothers you ask for a room on the quieter side...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your most recent stay at the Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire. We are so glad you and your family had a comfortable stay with us and were able to experience the level of service we pride ourselves on. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.