“Great Service”

Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire
Ranked #8 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 1 July 2014

It is nice to stay in a hotel with attentive and cheerful staff that can handle volumes of inquiries in a graceful manner. I checked in last Saturday and it was a busy day. Maral, the front desk, very politely apologized for the wait. She handled my reservation in a very efficient manner. Apart from the great service, the room was contemporary finished with interesting photos about Calgary. It is well appointed and pristine. I pleasantly discovered that it has +15 walkway making it convenient to explore the rest of the city center.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank louise c
Ian M, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your most recent stay at the Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay in your suite. I will be sure to give you feedback to Maral! We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Ian Marceau, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,013)

Reviewed 30 June 2014

This lovely hotel is beautifully situated near the Bow River for walks and bike rides, and 10 minutes on foot to downtown and shopping.  Bike rental is less than a minute's walk away.

Had 3 nights here on business in a deluxe king suite Rm 1135, facing the open courtyard with a lovely view of the river through floor to ceiling windows.  A cozy suite with all the usual Sheraton amenities.  Of note: with Calgary's dry air, I was pleased to see a well-functioning humidifier, but because it was also a bit cold, I asked for a space heater.  This was a much better unit than is usually offered by hotels.  Also, there were 2 TVs, a kitchen with fridge, sink, microwave and cupboards and drawers, coffee and tea facilities, small but attractively and comfortably furnished living room and bedroom, and a bathroom with tub.  All looked refurbished.  The bed was the usual delicious "sweet sleeper" bed, and there were entrances into the bathroom from both the foyer and bedroom - which made for efficient navigation.

This hotel is or appears new, the lobby décor is upscale, bright and welcoming, and the staff are friendly as usual.  The housekeeping staff and restaurant servers are, without exception, excellent.  Dinner at Fionn McCools was great (spice cake with vanilla ice cream, recommended by the waitress, was unparalleled), and lunch on the front patio was excellent.

Room for improvement:  Internet was purchased on a 24 hour clock for around $26. This was provided free of charge at the Sheraton in Ottawa, and given the room rate, should be included here.  Sheraton's policy of providing a $5 voucher or extra loyalty points for guests opting out of housekeeping for environmental reasons was not offered here - this is a Sheraton first for me.  The greatest area for improvement is kitting out the kitchen.  There was not one piece of cutlery or one dish, let alone no dish cloth, towells or soap, pots or pans.  The only items in all the cupboards and drawers were 2 wine glasses, 2 other drinking glasses, and a kettle.  All of the above details are unexpected in a hotel of this calibre with the pricey rate ($369 plus fees and taxes - a preferred/group rate at that!) that it charges.

As a gold SPG member, I choose Sheratons where convenient. Overall, this is an attractive all-suite hotel, wonderfully situated, but at over $410 inc taxes per night for the deluxe king suite, value for money could be improved with relatively minor modifications.

Room Tip: I would choose a suite with a view of the Bow River and the plaza.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Ingle
Ian M, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2014

Thank you for the detailed review. We are committed to delivering exemplary service to our guests and appreciate all feedback as it allows our team to ensure our guests needs are met. I am glad you had an enjoyable stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

Have stayed @ this property a few times. Have noticed rooms quite noisy from street traffic especially if staying in rooms over entrance - even if up a few floors & staying on weekend when supposedly quieter. Rooms are quite compact & quite crowded - walked into the wall mounted TV during the night. Would recommend a flashlight or something as space between bed & entertainment centre is limited. The restaurant/lounge is quite good. Hotel staff OK but not overly friendly. OK but other hotels in city centre perhaps more comfortable. It does have a nice location along the river & close to Eau Claire market with lots of restaurants.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank maggiemayCalgary

Thank you for the review of your most recent stay at the Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire. We consistently review guest feedback so that we can implement the best practices for our guests. I will be sure to continue this discussion with our team. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

Stayed here for a business trip and the location was great, just a couple of blocks to the Calgary office. The staff was friendly and helpful. However, to call these rooms "suites" is a huge overstatement. The rooms are not any bigger than a regular hotel room but the added walls to separate the "living" area from the bedroom just packed everything together. Then when you throw in all the extra furniture we hardly had room to move around. I do have to give them kudos for the walk-in shower, though. Excellent! The club/concierge level was a very expensive upgrade and while the appetizers were decent and the service terrific, they charged restaurant prices for wine and beer! $15/glass for a basic chardonnay when you are already paying top dollar for the access is really too much. After experiencing the club level amenities at the Royal Sonesta in Houston with complimentary wine, beer and cocktails the Sheraton Suites certainly paled in comparison. We also experienced a tremendous amount of noise from the patio bar across the street one night. I will probably look elsewhere for my next trip to Calgary.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for the review of your most recent stay at the Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire. I am sorry to learn we did not meet your expectations. I encourage you to let us know your concerns upon your next reservation so that we may provide a more spacious suite. We do hope you take the opportunity to stay with us again at which time we hope to make amends.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

This all suite hotel is located between the Prince Island parkland area and downtown.
Certainly walking distance to everything, including lively 8th Avenue. Good views (we prefer
downtown/most like the park view), some constructions sites (bit messy) on south side but
not offensive if up a bit higher. Particularly liked the 2 club floors (14 and 15) - own elevator
access, fabulous lounge with outdoor roof deck, scrumptious included breakfast (tasty!) and afternoon drinks/snacks (didn't have time to try). The regular rooms are just a little smaller (separate bedroom/living room - very comfortable!). The ground floor restaurant had great service - we ate lunch in the casual/bark side, food was good.

While in Calgary, be sure to visit the Esker Gallery (also a neat alternate shopping area),
try Catch, Blink or Milestones for dinner/or lunch.

Room Tip: we prefer city views - 1403 - 1407, or similar on 15th floor (if available - that's where the cl...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to provide some detailed feedback from your most recent stay. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and are so glad you had an enjoyable experience! We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Reviewed 24 June 2014

My wife and I were concluding a month long trip to Alaska and Western Canada when we stayed here and we're glad we did. From the moment we pulled in to the drive way we felt welcomed and it only got better. We received an upgrade and had an outstanding mini suite which had recently been redone. The front end staff were very helpful as were the concierge people helping us get to and see some of Calgary's best. The train is about 5 blocks away which was very convenient as is a very wonderful upscale shopping area with great restaurants and gardens. The gym and pool were easy to get to and use and they even had a water slide for kids. If you're coming to Calgary for business or pleasure we feel this Sheraton is hard to beat.

Room Tip: We stayed in 1035 a lovely room
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your most recent stay. We are thrilled you enjoyed the location and outstanding service. We look forward to welcoming you back & thank you for the recommendation!

Reviewed 24 June 2014

I booked a $600/night room and due to my credit card being lost during my travels I had to put a $300 room deposit for incidentals. No big deal, however, when I went to go use the Internet, I was told I could not get access as I did not have a credit card on file. REALLY? $600 ROOM, $300 deposit and no $11 Internet. Ironically my room included free Internet, but I still needed a credit card. This is wrong on so many levels I am shocked.

Starwood...this is the year 2014 and the Internet is FREE everywhere. Even when not, MOST of us can easily get on the Internet with our smart phones. Please update your 1990's Internet policies. The Internet is NOT a perk anymore.

Also, when entering my room, all the lights and TV were on. I have seen this before and so I asked a maid and she said it was to make me feel at home. This is a giant waste of electricity and is not the sort of behaviour I would expect from a world wide company.

Finally the fancy box of macarons that were waiting in the room for me were old and very stale.

It is also worth mentioning that Starwood does not allow you to include your room rate in a review posted on their website and they screen all reviews before posting. This is such a scarcity mentality I am shocked.

Let's vote with our dollars and avoid Starwood hotels.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank MatthewLynch

I am sorry to learn of your recent experience. I would like to discuss this with your further and encourage you to reach out to my office. You can contact me by phone or email: imarceau@sheratonsuites.com or 403-517-6623.