“A VERY Pleasant Surprise”

Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire
Ranked #11 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
The Rocky Mountains, Canada
“A VERY Pleasant Surprise”
Reviewed 1 August 2009

On the spur of the moment I decided to take an impromptu trip to Calgary for the Stampede. I cashed in one of my free weekend nights (earned through Starwood Preferred Guest points) and got a lovely suite at the Eau Claire. Usually, I prefer to stay at Westin hotels so I wasn't sure what to expect of the Sheraton but I was delighted!!!

Since the Stampede I have stayed at both the Westin in Downtown Calgary and the Sheraton Cavalier (by the airport) and I have to say the Sheraton Eau Claire is the best of the bunch.

The hotel itself is located right near the Eau Claire market. I love the easy walking convenience to Chinatown (try the MBA BBQ and Noodle House), the Eau Claire Market itself (right across the street), parks, downtown, and public transportation. Now parking isn't the easiest to find but if you're staying at the hotel over the weekend you can have a full day of parking for $2 just across the street.

The rooms are suite style so they contain a small kitchenette, a living area with a television, a bathroom, and a separate bedroom area with yet another television. The style of the hotel is not as sleek or modern as a Westin but it is extremely comfortable and wonderfully appointed. I also ate at the hotel restaurant for their Stampede Breakfast and based on that meal I recommend it highly!

The service was fantastic, hotel staff always helpful, and it is the best value for my money in Calgary!

Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Korean first
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 30 July 2009

I highly recommend this hotel. It is located right on the bow river with beautiful walking paths and shops and restaurants nearby. The staff are wonderful and help you with anything. This was our first time in Calgary and we had a great time in this wonderful city, especially because of this hotel. I highly recommend the breakfast place right across the street 1882 or something like that is the name.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Toronto,
Reviewed 30 July 2009

Every aspect of my stay exceeded expectations. I stayed in a club suite and was quite surprised to see that there was a printer in my room which proved extremely useful. All staff, at front desk, concierge, housekeeping, were friendly and helpful without being overly so.

I will definitely stay here again next time I'm in Calgary!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 21 July 2009

We stayed for 2 nights during the stampede. Had a suite with 2 rooms which were super clean and well serviced. We were on the Club Level and breakfast was great as you would expect from Starwood. They have great pool with a water slide that the kids loved. We did not eat in the hotel but Eau Clair and down town have good bars and places to eat. The staff were terrific and I would not hesitate booking there again.

Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank HughK1
Niagara Falls
Reviewed 20 July 2009

I stayed for a week in June and I loved it! This was my second time spending a week here with my young children. I travel to Calgary to visit family. We spent a lot of time at the beautiful park located right next to the YMCA which is right next to the hotel. The hotel is in a great location, the park, a mall right across the street, restaurants, a short walk to downtown and transit.

Every single staff member I encountered were so pleasant, always stopping what they were doing to smile and say hello and ask if I needed anything, I felt very welcome there. I stayed on the sencond floor and Vy, our room atterndant was so friendly and accommodating, she deserves some reconition for here hard work and dedication.

Joe Clifford, the cheif Concierge was also extremely pleasant and helpful arranging transportation for us along with a carseat for my 11month old, and helping out with various directions and suggestions for us throughout the week. Thanks Joe!

All the ladies up in the Club Lounge were very nice and the club lounge breakfast was awesome! Tons of fresh food!

The only bummer was I didn't get to meet the new hotel mascot, a chocolate lab, as he was on vacation. :(

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
London
Reviewed 16 July 2009

The location is very convenient for downtown business travellers and there are a number of lively eateries a short walk away. The hotel itself is utterly without character and the rooms, despite being suites with a sitting room, feel rather cramped and gloomy. On the other hand, standards of service were very high, staff were pleasant and everything was clean and tidy. There's a small indoor pool which is useful. So all in all nothing wrong, but a slightly dated and uninspiring experience - totally functional!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank TimfromLondon
Ontario's Near North, Canada
Reviewed 10 June 2009

Stayed at this property over the 6/7 June weekend with family. As I was on business too, I got a corporate rate which was under $200 a night. I am a Starwood Gold member which probably assisted in getting me an earlier check-in than the posted 3 pm time which was handy. I found the front counter staff to be very professional on check-in, both women were smiling and the room I requested was ready. I was on the 9th floor in a "suite" that had two queen size beds and a separate living room that included a pull-out sofa, lounge chair, flat screen TV, small dining table and a "kitchenette" (microwave, bar sink, mini-bar fridge). The room was very clean and the beds extremely comfortable. Although the bedroom was a little tight to move around, the french doors separating it from the living room was much appreciated, especially with kids in tow. The bathroom was a good size and included all the amenities one would expect for a hotel of this reputation. The only criticism was that there was rust on one of the towel hooks in the bathroom which really was no big deal. Internet service was not complimentary and in-room movies were $11.99. The highlight was the excellent service we got from the hotel's valet parking attendants. Ben was extremely professional and immediately explained that the charge would be $24/night for unlimited access in and out. Ben would also provide excellent advice on a breakfast place the next day. All in all, a great stay at a property that is downtown, close to restaurants, movie theatre and Prince's Island.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business