“Nice place for families, great location” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire

Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire
Ranked #11 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Edmonton
“Nice place for families, great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2009

My wife and I checked into the Sheraton Eau Claire on a Thursday and checked out on Saturday, so our stay was for just two nights. We were traveling with our two daughters (a four year old and a one year old) and were simply looking to get away from home for a few days. Our suite was extremely clean, the beds were comfortable, and the entire hotel staff was extremely helpful and friendly. There are several restaurants/pubs located either in the hotel lobby or within just a short walking distance. Some allow children (Joey Tomatoes, Barclay's, Old Spaghetti Factory) and some do not (Fionn McCools, The Barley Mill). The water slide/pool was a huge hit with our 4 year old, as was the hotel's "canine ambassador," Ben, an extremely friendly chocolate lab who lounges next to the concierge's desk in the lobby. There is also an indoor playground in the Eau Claire Market across the street, as well as a larger outdoor playground on Prince's Island Park only a few minutes walk from the hotel.

The only negative to our stay was, as most reviewers have already pointed out, the price of valet parking. Valet service was $36.75 per day (including GST) during the week and $27.30 per day (including GST) on the weekends. Self-parking is available at the Impark lot across the street at the Eau Claire Market at a charge of only $2 per day on the weekends, however I am not sure what they charge during the week. Also, if you want internet access in your room then be prepared to pay $13.95 per 24 hours of usage, as it is not free.

Other than those two points, we really had a wonderful stay. Just as an aside: try the breakfast at the 1886 Buffalo Cafe next to the Barley Mill - their hashbrowns/home fries are probably the best I have ever had. And if you like cigars then check out Emilio's Humidor in the Eau Claire Market, as they have a pretty good selection of stogies.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Sox07

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Korean first
ILKLEY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2009

Valet parking only works but not cheap.
Nice welcome & all staff very helpful.
Suite fully functional & well appointed but not so large.
Did not dine.
No room wi-fi but alternatives in reception area.
Not cheap but no complaints

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Albert K
Brisbane, Qld
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2009

We had a long stay while my husband was working in Calgary with my two children, 11 and 13. My husband's work was paying for the room, which had a pull out sofa in lounge which my son used and two queens in the separate bedroom. the kids could go to sleep in the bedroom, then shift them when we were ready for bed which was a nice option rather than all of us in one room. Room was immaculate and housecleaning great. Because the hotel was booked out they put us in a two bedroom suite for one night then back to a normal room, however, when they discovered the reason we were switching back was because the family were paying the increase in room rate rather than the company, they gave us a free upgrade to stay the remainder of the trip in the 2 bdr suite - v nice - on the 12th floor - my husband is a starwood preferred guest. This room had some stains on carpet - lots of families in there obviously, but again was always clean. The upgrade gave us free bottled water and many extras which were nice in the bathrooms, plus robes. the views were great and the staff extraordinarily friendly - remembering my family and greeting us daily when coming in or leaving. Fruit on concierge desk and Ben the labrador a nice touch. The position, right next to Prince's Island Park, was great and eau Claire markets handy for take out and some groceries - although surly shop keeper in the foodstore there! Pool, spa, sauna and gym were all ok - pool with waterslide LOVED by my son (11) and daughter - when no-one else there! all in all, the hotel became a home away from home - with extra fridge delivered to room and lovely staff - bouquets to our lovely Housekeeper on 12th floor - very patient and attentive to our needs!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank bristraveller09
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2009

My wife and I spent our wedding night at the Sheraton Eau Claire. We arrived very late after our wedding and were congratulated on our marriage, upgraded to a suite and found our bags (dropped off earlier by a relative) waiting for us in our room along with a decadent complimentary desert.

Our room was extremely clean, modern and spacious. The cotton robes were a wonderful touch and really made me feel welcome after a long day. The king size bed in our room was fantastic!

Unfortunately, being native Calgarians we were only able to spend one night. Too bad we couldn't have spent a few more nights here! All staff members we had the pleasure of dealing with were extremely friendly, helpful and quick to offer us congratulations on our marriage.

I'd definitely recommend the Sheraton Eau Claire to anyone looking to stay in downtown Calgary!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
San Diego, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2009

Beautiful hotel, located in the heart of downtown, with easy walking access to many restaurants, coffee houses and bars. The staff was very knowledgeable and helpful. The indoor pool (which could have been heated more!) has a water slide for the kids. There are two restaurants that looked great, although we didn't eat there. The rooms are fully equipped and very comfy. We really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Lisashelly
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2009

Stayed here on business recently and was impressed by the high-quality of service I received from check-in staff, concierge, and bell staff. The suite was nice enough - perhaps a little dated but nothing to complain about. The room was stocked with nice ammenities, and my suite had a whirlpool bath which was nice. Unfortunately I had to switch to the Westin on my second night, but I would definately stay at this hotel again, just for the service.

Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank jnugent
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2009

We have been staying at the Sheraton Eau Claire for over 12 years and everytime is such a delight! I feel so at home. The staff is mostly the same from visit to visit and extremely courteous and willing to please. I must admit, though, that the rates do keep escalating from year to year, and I wonder how they can charge these ridiculous rates! Same with regard to parking. (We're lucky to have a corporate rate ). This time when we entered our suite, wine, chocolates, and premium bottled water was waiting for us. What I like the most about this Sheraton is that they are all suites. Perfect, as my husband is an early riser and can do business in the living room portion, while I sleep in. I also like that the vanity and sink are separate from the toilet and bath/shower. Also, there areTV's in both areas of the suite, and with the doors closed, each can watch their own channel. Location is superb with the park so close and you don't get that 'hustle/bustle city' feel as in other downtown hotels. I hope we can still afford to stay here whenever we visit Calgary.

Stayed August 2009