“Calgarys' Best Kept Secret”

Kensington Riverside Inn
Ranked #18 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 21 October 2013

My husband and I spent a night at this great little gem for our anniversary. Everyone at the hotel was friendly and helpful. From check in to check out, the staff went out of their way to make you feel welcome. As we were celebrating a special occasion, we were given a complementary upgraded room and found a lovely split bottle of wine with a very nice card wishing us a happy anniversary! A very thoughtful touch. It was a large, beautiful room with modern decor. A luxurious king size bed; nice linens and pillows. The spacious bathroom had recently been updated. A coffee and tea tray are delivered outside your room in the morning for you to enjoy. Breakfast is included with your stay and was fantastic.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Jesse_KRI, Manager at Kensington Riverside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2013

Thank you very much for the kind words. Nothing is more satisfying than hearing we have made a special occasion memorable and extraordinary. Hopefully we are able to host you and your husband on your next night out in Calgary.

Reviewed 18 October 2013

Staff was wonderful, no doubt about it. Every single one of them was willing to help all the time.

Our main issues was the shower. My husband took a lukewarm shower (not by choice) and there wasn't any warmth left for me. I have to get out cause the water was so cold. I was unable to wash my face or hair that morning. We didn't have time to stick around and wait so we just checked out.

We were there for a wedding and we were very disappointed that the restaurant wasn't going to open for breakfast until 11am and we had to leave by 10:30am. They did instead deliver a very small cup of vanilla yogurt (tasty!), granola and not so fresh fruits to our room and we thank them for their effort. It still bugs me that we weren't able to use our $40 voucher for breakfast in the morning.

It was a perfect venue for small wedding. Ceremony was beautiful and dinner was amazing. We would love to go back to the restaurant for dinner soon.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking time to write a review of your experience with us. I am very happy to hear that our staff was wonderful and that you enjoyed the wedding venue. The issue with Hot water is unacceptable and one that we have looked into immediately. I greatly apologize for the inconvenience of a cold shower as this must have been incredibly frustrating. We would love to host you for dinner at your earliest convenience. Please call me directly at the Inn to discuss your next dining experience with us.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

I've have visited this Inn on occasion over the last 13 years or so. In the last year and a half it has undergone a major restorative overhaul. Prior to the big update, this inn oozed in old world charm, and every corner held enough appeal to make you want to sit down and pull up a chair. It is quiet, quaint and has unparalleled customer service. The new decor is sadly lacking and I am very sorry to see large scale suburban decorating trends in this 5 star hotel. Decor and charm aside, this place is in a great location, has a delicious breakfast and still offers the privacy I've always sought out on a weekend getaway.

Room Tip: I like the rooms that offer a balcony and fireplace.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Jesse_KRI, Manager at Kensington Riverside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2013

Thank you very much for your honest feedback. I am very happy to hear that you have been a patron of the Inn for so long. That type of loyalty is rare to find, and greatly appreciated.

I am sorry that our updated product does not match your personal tastes. Hopefully the high standard of service and delicious breakfast is enough to ensure you keep coming back for another 13 years.

Reviewed 9 September 2013

I have had the pleasure of staying here twice - once for my own honeymoon, once for a friend's wedding. Both times we were treated like VIPs and enjoyed every minute of our stay. They bring up a tea or coffee tray in the morning with little pastries, the breakfast is incredible, and the beds are the most comfy ever.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Jesse_KRI, Manager at Kensington Riverside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2013

Thank you very much for your positive feedback. Hopefully we will see you both again for your anniversary.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

We travel a lot and get tired of the same hotel chains over and over again. So if we are traveling with out the kids we like to try boutique hotels or bed and breakfasts.
We had to go to Calgary for a wedding and we were there only two nights.
The hotel is beautiful and very modern, with all the amenities you would expect, with some extra special touches.
The staff was very friendly and helpful. They put out a coffee or tea carafe each morning outside your room.
Breakfast is included as well. The only draw back is the noise from the traffic. We had a lot of noise at 1am with garbage trucks and such right below us. And the light from the street kept waking me at night..i like a really dark room at night.
other that the noise and light, the hotel was great. I would go again but maybe ask for a different room and see if that makes a difference.
Also the hotel is located in a great spot. Walking distance to food and light shopping.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking time to write this review. Your comments drive us to improve and help us gauge our success in achieving our service goals. During your next stay please feel free to request a room that may be less impacted by the noise surrounding the Inn. Hopefully we will have the opportunity to host you again.

Reviewed 19 August 2013

We stayed on a Thursday night in a luxury suite. The front desk staff was great to deal with, the hotel is really nice and the room was great, the first room had an AC malfunction and we were moved to another luxury suite which was a minor inconvenience but completely understandable. The AC worked great in this room. However due to the room switch our morning tea was delerivered to the old room. There was a nice patio but we couldn't enjoy it because the road is just too busy and it is right there. At nights the lights from the traffic were shinig right in my eyes everytime somebody would pull onto the road due to a gap between the shades and the window, we got that fixed using some clothes and hangers we had with us. Another minor issue was that the cable box for the TV was mounted on top of the TV and the remote wouldnt work when sitting on the couch so you had to stand up to change channels. The room came with 2 $20 breakfast vouchers and the breakfast was great and our bill was less than $36 but then a mandatory gratuity of 18% was added (the tip can't come out of the vouchers) which we paid for using cash. After checkout I found the gratuity had also been added to our room total (hard to see that tiny amount on such a huge bill!) It was again a minor flaw but add them all up and they turned me off from wanting to stay here again. When I pay this much I expect the best and this was very average.

Room Tip: Maybe the regular rooms are quieter than the luxury suites?
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Jesse_KRI, Manager at Kensington Riverside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2013

Thank you very much for your feedback. I am pleased to hear that our staff were great to deal with and that you enjoyed your rooms ambience and décor. I am also happy to hear that although the AC malfunctioned and you were double billed on the breakfast gratuity, we were able to rectify the situation quickly and effectively.
It is unfortunate that you were disturbed from road noise during your stay. For light sleepers we do have rooms that are better situated away from the city view, which may be more appropriate for you should you book again.

Reviewed 14 August 2013

The inn and rooms are very nicely appointed, however, the location is not great. Difficult to access as it is on a very busy roadway and parking is limited (only 9 spaces for 15 or so rooms). We did not sleep well as the traffic noise kept us awake most of the night and started up again early in the morning. Dinner service was disappointing - only 1 wait staff who was running the entire time from table to table; he basically dropped each course at the table and then scurried away to the next. Quality of food and presentation was excellent, although appetizer selection was very limited. My partner had a couple of insects land in his full glass of wine and the waiter merely dumped the glass and re-filled it from our bottle, yet we were charged for the full bottle. I would have expected some type of offset in $$ or kind.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking time to comment on your experience. I am very pleased that you enjoyed the quality of your food and our well appointed rooms. Although we have 16 parking spaces (for 19 rooms) available in the parkade, it can be crowded if we are having a busy dinner service or a wedding on site. We do have several parking alternative that our desk staff would be happy to reccomend during your next visit.

Typically our quality of service is of the highest level. Although this was not the case during your time with us,. I have passed this information to our food and beverage manager, who will take the appropriate steps to ensure our service levels are consistently adhered to.