“Outstanding”

Ranked #26 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Nightingale, Alberta, Canada
“Outstanding”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

My husband and I celebrated our 30th anniversary at the Inn and we were not disappointed in anything. The room was beautiful, comfortable and luxurious. Staff treated us with the utmost respect and were so helpful. The food was amazing and the location of the Inn to us was perfect. You could enjoy walking around the neighborhood or down by the river. We had a wonderful experience and thank everyone for everything they did to make our stay special.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We stayed here for two nights in July 2104. We had a ground floor room with an enclosed outdoor patio. Very quiet and peaceful. Excellent staff. A block or two to many good quality restaurants and quality shops. Pleasant ten minute walk to downtown Calgary. Would definitely stay here again on our next visit to Calgary. We highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a ground floor room with a patio.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
San Luis Obispo, California
Reviewed 19 August 2014

My husband and I had a rough travel day with airlines delays and cancellations, finally arrived 7 hours late to check in. Underground secure parking was easily located with the instructions we were emailed before our arrival. Once inside the parking garage We were warmly greeted, our bags were carried to our room, a bottle of red wine and chocolates was then brought to our room as we had shared we were celebrating our anniversary. The room was perfect in every way with all amenities you would expect from a boutique hotel, Aveda bath product, down comforter and pillows, one of the most comfortables beds I have ever slept in! Coffee was left outside our door the next morning in a thermos flask so it would be piping hot no matter when we arose with white china cups and the morning paper, such a welcome touch!

Wirral, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We booked to stay at the Kensington for 2 nights. We were disappointed with the location. It describes itself as 'riverside'' when the hotel is actually the other side of a very busy 4 lane road from the river. It is a short walk to the other side of the river which is classed as downtown but it actually took us 40 mins (leisurely stroll) to get back to the hotel from Stephens Street which is where all the restuarants etc. are. The room was lovely - very clean and tastefully decorated but the balcony was not up to much. It was just a small dark and dingy area outside the bedroom door with a couple of chairs and a table amongst the shrubs that someone was busy trying to chop back. The wall of the neighbouring property less than 6 feet away and that was all there was to look at. We booked for bed and breakfast which turned out to be a voucher for 20 dollars each to put towards breakfast. We complained about this and said it was not what we had booked and were reassured that all the items on the menu were leass than 20 dollars. We had a cooked breakfast with orange juice and coffee and had to pay towards the bill. We didn't have any fruit, yoghurt pastries etc. there is no tea or coffee facilities in the rooms as the hotel leave thermos flasks outside your door at 7am - not sure what purpose this serves?

We only stayed for one night as we wanted to be nearer the city and moved to a hotel from a well known luxury Canadian chain - it was actually 8 dollars cheaper with a pool and full buffet for breakfast. We would not go back.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

We stayed at the Kensington Riverside Inn for 2 nights. During the midst of the issue we had we were asked if we would correspond with the hotel mgr. I appreciate that though I would have sent this anyway.

We had trouble driving to the hotel since there was street resurfacing in the area. Perhaps it is too much to expect but it would have been nice to have been notified and given an alternate route.

When we did park in the basement we were greeted and escorted to the front desk which was nice.

The room was as expected except there was only one pair of slippers. And the room was very cold. The thermostat was set at 30 but the thermometer showed 17. We prefer 24 or 25.
I went to the front desk to discuss this. I was told the slippers were in short supply at the moment but that it would be taken care of. The temperature would also be dealt with. It was also suggested we turn on the gas fireplace. I went to the front desk instead of phoning because the button that says “guest services” on the phone kept ringing busy. No other instructions were on the phone. I did try “0” but no success either. I thought about what would happen if someone had an emergency.

I was later told that the “Guest Services” button has never worked.

We went out for a while and when we came back no slippers and no change in temperate at all. I ended up standing on a chair and shutting each small louver to minimize the effect and turn on the fire place.

We thought there might be a small bar fridge but there was none. And there was no ice machine. And we were hoping to buy a few things we could keep in the fridge overnight.

At night there were 2 little chocolates which was nice but to be honest it was not very good. I think that if you really want to set yourself apart why not work in partnership with Callebaut which was very close. It is certainly better chocolate. I am not saying to get the “best” chocolate there is but it is those little things that count when you want to elevate your standing.

The next day juice and coffee was left outside the room which was as specified and it was nice to have. We went out early in the morning and came back around 4pm. The room had not been serviced. I asked about it and was told there is only one person doing the work but that we could have our room done next or the person at the front desk would do it later since the staff member left at 5pm.

We decided to have our room done next. I said to come when it is possible and we would just sit and relax in the lobby while the work was being done. And I said not to rush but take the time that was needed. While we waited we were offered something to drink (coffee, tea, etc)

We went back and it looked good.

We went out returned and decided to have a glass of wine. I called the front desk (which worked this time) and was told to look for a small card with the wine listed. No such card. But we settled on something after a little discussion. We also said that we needed more tissue since we used what was there.

The wine came but no tissue. I said that and it was delivered after that.

The wine was complimentary as a result of the issues we were having.

When we went to take a shower we discovered there was no bath mat. Ok. Not the end of the world for sure but the list is growing. I decided to start writing things down. Hmmm, pad of paper and no pen anywhere including the drawers.

Even entering the room started to be a little annoying because the key would stick going into the lock.

This hotel lists itself as a 4 star hotel. We have stayed in both ends of the spectrum and certainly expected a bath mat and pen to use.

The location is very good. Close to some interesting shops and safeway. Good thing because my mind goes to the idea we could walk to safeway to get ice.

The 2nd (and last morning of our stay) there was a thermos of coffee but no juice. Well it was definitely time to go.

At this point we will not go back nor recommend that anyone stay there. We expected more for the price we paid.

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 16 August 2014

From the check-in and -out, to the room, to the food, the Kensington Riverside Inn treated everyone like royalty. The room was spacious, well equipped and comfortable. The location is ideal for a run, bike or a walk along the Bow River aswell as a walk to local restaurants for meals/coffee. My reserved taxi was available on time and the organization was second to none I will definitely stay again!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
VENICE
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I had stayed at the Kensington riverside inn 12 years ago and we have always used this lovely boutique hotel as the gold standard when traveling. We stayed again recently and the experience was superb from the initial greeting when we checked in to all the attention to detail during our stay. Everyone we encountered was welcoming professional friendly and made us feel at home. I can't wait to return for future luxury experience thank you

• Stayed August 2014