“Very nice hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #53 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Edmonton, Canada
“Very nice hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

I stayed here last August as a stop over. The hotel has a very welcoming lobby. The staff are friendly and helpsul when you need something. The room was clean and everything worked to my expectations. The beds were very comfortable and we enjoyed a good night's rest.

We went into the lounge and again, the staff were friendly and helpful. If I am ever in Calgary again, I will certainly stay at this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
RoyalInnCalgary, General Manager at Executive Royal Hotel Calgary, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Dear LeafsFan63,

Thank you for choosing the Executive Royal Hotel Calgary. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We have shared your comments with our team.

We look forward to seeing you again,

Danny Marshall

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
London, Kentucky
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

I stayed at Executive Royal Hotel Calgary when my connecting flight was delayed due to weather. Although I was anxious to get to my destination, this unexpected pit stop turned out to be a delight. When I arrived, I was checked in promptly and received good customer service at the front desk.

However, I was not approached by any of the door men or asked if they could help me up to my rooms with my very heavy suitcases. I was left to do this on my own with the suitcase carriers on wheels. It would have been nice if someone offered to help me.

It became more difficult once I arrived to my floor to learn that the hotel was under renovation, thus the hallways where almost too narrow to fit my luggage on wheels. I struggled a lot just to get to my room. It's understandable when a hotel is under renovation, but everything piled up just looked really bad, I saw a blade lying on the ground (which was gone by morning, they must have cleaned it up, which is good) and the hall just smelt like whatever materials they where using to renovate. I'm not sure if it was for the installation of new wood floors or what not, but I did not like the smell in the morning. Again, it's understandable, I just wish it wasn't during my stay. I guess we would all feel that way.

All this aside, I feel my stay was quite comfortable. I got dinner as well as breakfast and have no complaints about the taste of the food. I do feel, however, that the buffet breakfast is overpriced. I had a voucher for the breakfast and was told it was not enough for the buffet (short only by a few $...) and that I could only take fruit and toast. I feel like good customer service would have been to just allow me to have anything I wanted from the buffet. This is just my opinion.

I feel like their renovations are worth it, because my room seemed to be one of the new ones. Everything was new, cleaned to the highest standards and the bed was amazingly comfortable. The TV's where brand new and had a good amount of selection. Wifi was complimentary as well. I slept very well and there was not much noise. The housekeeping staff member was very understanding with mine checking out late and I really appreciated her patience.

I worked out a little in the morning in their gym and that was a good experience too. The gym had a good variety of equipment and good supply of cold water in their tank. I'm not sure if they have a pool.

It's kind of far from the airport, but they also have a shuttle to and from the airport which was incredibly helpful.

Despite the fact that I did not initially plan on staying here, I would say my experience was mostly pretty good. It's not super fancy, but on a scale from 1-10, 10 being fanciest, I would say it's a strong 6.5 or 7. I would recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Dear Fran D,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a detailed review of our hotel. We're happy to hear that we were a comfortable stay for you during your trip. We're sorry that our floor updates did make for some cramp corridors. We have completed the flooring installation and hope to be completed the last of our updates in the next couple of months. We hope that you will be through Calgary again and choose the Executive Royal Hotel so that you will be able to see the completed product.

Once again thank you for staying with us and writing a review.

Yours in hospitality ,

Saskatoon, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

I stay here often for business. The employees are always very helpful and remember me. The rooms are comfortable enough. The only complaint I would have is the new laminate flooring. It is very nice looking but carries noise from other rooms.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear Laura C,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on our hotel. We appreciate the comments and have passed them along to our team. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Yours in hospitality,

Canmore, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

This hotel is top-notch for pet-friendly! We brought our puppy there overnight this past weekend and everyone welcomed us and staff were extra friendly to our pup, even giving him a welcome bag of treats and a toy among other things! We were impressed and will stay there again! We found the room comfy, clean, and the Keurig was a nice touch! Room service and food was good... I highly recommend this place!

Room Tip: Our corner room was very quiet!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank TinaStephBosco
Dear TinaStephBosco,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on our hotel. We are very pleased to hear that both the two legged and four legged guests in your group enjoyed their stay. We hope to see you back again.

Alberta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014

We stayed at the Executive Royal Inn for a night prior to departing on our flight and then the night that we got back from our vacation. The rooms that we were given were newly renovated with very comfortable beds and bedding. The shuttle was very convenient taking us to the airport and return from the airport - we were also allowed to leave our vehicle in their parking lot for the 10 nights that we were gone. We ate at the restaurant that is on site for breakfast. They offered a breakfast buffet with enough options to satisfy anyone (I think).

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank sunworshipperAlberta
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014

I figured I would fork over the extra money for this hotel because the reviews I read seemed okay and when I looked at cheaper places in the area they had mixed reviews. BIG MISTAKE! I could not believe the level of disrepair I found at this place. Don't trust the pictures, the furniture is new but the room and bathroom are so beat up I couldn't believe it! Peeling paint, stains in the sink, watermarks on the ceiling, the bathroom door looked like it had swelled due to a flood at some point. Lack of maintenance aside I also found the ABSENCE OF BASIC CLEANLINESS STANDARDS appalling. I had a late check in and when I got to my room I stepped inside and immediately walked on a pile of grit, looking down there was what appeared to be mud from someone's boots and a rolled up bit of toilet paper of concerning origin. It was late so I thought maybe this was the only issue and proceeded to check out the beds. Very old linens, pulled back sheets in BOTH beds and found MULTIPLE STRANDS OF HAIR under the pillows and in the sheets! Went to front desk, staff nice as pie, new room and a complimentary breakfast pass. Next room SAME FILTH, only 2 hairs in one bed so I called it a night. NOT WHAT I EXPECT FOR $150+/NIGHT!!! NEVER EVER AGAIN!!!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank StraightGoodsCdn
RoyalInnCalgary, General Manager at Executive Royal Hotel Calgary, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Dear StraightGoodsCdn ,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel. We strive to make all our guests stays as exceptional one. It is clear that we have missed the mark on your most recent stay.

I was very disappointed reading your review as I have not been witness to one of our rooms in such poor condition. We do have some rooms that are slated to be painted in the next few months. I would very much appreciate if you could advise when you stayed and which rooms you were in so that I can work with our housekeeping and maintenance team to ensure that this room is brought up to a proper standard. My personal email is dmarshall@royalinn.com

Our rates are set based on market demand. We do regularly check our rates against our competitors and find that our rates fall in line with the market.

Once again thank you very much for your review. It is very disappointing to hear that your stay with us was well below what we consider acceptable. Your review will be used as training tool to ensure that future incidents such as this do not occur.

Yours in hospitality,

Coaldale
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

We were pleasantly surprised by the spacious and beautifully decorated room. Staff were friendly, place was clean. It was a very nice stay and we wouldn't hesitate to stay again. Only downside was no pool.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple