Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Calgary-Airport, AB
Ranked #21 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Los Angeles, California
“Very Nice!”
Reviewed 19 June 2012

This is a nice hotel with friendly staff and delicious cookies at the registration desk. The free breakfast was great except the make your own waffles waffle iron didn't make crispy waffles, only soggy. That's okay because there are free cookies at the registration desk even at 7 am. Yummy. The pool and hot tub are indoors and very clean. Even though the hotel is in industrial area, it was easy to drive around.

Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Yay4Food
CountryJunkie, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Calgary-Airport, AB, responded to this review, 24 July 2012
We appreciate your taking the time to post a review on your recent stay at our hotel.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed everything from the cookies at the front desk (which certainly are a hit any time of day!) to our breakfast and pool and whirlpool.

We hope to see you again next time your travels bring you back to Calgary!

Leanne Shaw-Brotherston

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Korean first
Toronto
Reviewed 16 June 2012

I stayed at the Country Inn and Suites for work purposes for a week in June 2012.

This hotel is very clean and comfortable, and I really have no complaints. I guess I was abit disappointed that it wasn't close to downtown or any grocery stores/liqour stores...but it is an airport area hotel so it's definately not in the heart of it all.

I would suggest that you need a car if you want to stay here. They have an airport shuttle but it is not 24/7 so check the times it is available. It didn't work for us so we had to take a cab.

The free breakfast in the morning was great, and had alot of variety.

There are a few restaurants around the hotel, but not many. The closest one is a Chili's and it was not good at all. ( ex; hair in food!) Chili's also delivers room service...so you'd be better to order a pizza! There are small fridges and a microwave in your room, if you want to bring your own snacks.

Overall, I liked this place but I wouldnt stay at it if I was looking for a nightlife/downtown Calgary experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not facing the highway...it's abit loud
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank superroadtripper
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your recent stay with us in Calgary.

I am sorry that your experience with Chili's was not up to the standard that I know they normally provide to our guests and have shared your comments with their management.

We appreciate your time in posting a review and hope to see you again next time your business brings you back this way.

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 7 June 2012

There is a nice homey feel to this northern Calgary airport hotel. I was given a very warm welcome by one of the two front desk staff (Kelly) and a high- five when I got a Club Carlson room upgrade. I never saw any less than 2 people working the front desk. It's nice to know they don't hide out in the back. Kelly thoughtfully gave me a room away from the floor with the baby on it.

The 2 queen suite was perfect for relaxing in the evening, then being able to go about my morning without disturbing the late sleeper in the other room.

Room service is by Chili's restaurant next door and there are no excess charges for delivery, complete with a real plate and cutlery. No cheap takeout containers here!

The breakfast, which is included with the room rate, is in a bright, spacious room off the lobby. Hot offerings may include sausages, omelet (with fixins) and waffles. Fresh fruit (whole) and a very fresh fruit salad was also available in addition to standard breakfast breads and cereal. The coffee and tea are available day and night, but juice only with breakfast.

Parking is free. I think they offer a free shuttle to the airport. The room decor is rather plain, but the rooms are clean and spacious. The curtains close properly so there is none of the dreaded early morning light through the cracks.

Even though it is an airport hotel I didn't hear any noise and I had a great sleep.

They have a cookie jar at the front desk, which is also where they keep the spare toothbrush and comb in case you forgot yours. Need I say more?

The only drawback was the difficulty finding the entrance. It was the Google map or Mapquest that gave me bad directions. You can't get to the hotel from the main road that runs parallel to the front entrance, you must come in from the back/West side of the neighborhood.

There is a shopping mall, movie theatre, and Costco within 5 minutes drive.

The pool and jacuzzi were large and clean.

Overall it was a satisfying stay and I feel the value was good for a Calgary hotel.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank thriftycanuck49
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay with us.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and would like to also thank you for taking the time to recognize Keli on our front desk for her thoughtful and friendly service.

We hope to see you again next time your travels bring you to Calgary!

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 5 June 2012

Leanne and her team are consistently surprising me with their stellar customer service. In just two days at the Country Inn & Suites I witnessed more examples of good customer service than I have seen in the past several years of travel in Alberta. Leanne's willingness to fix a gaffe I made in booking my room (I booked the wrong date) and refund the automatic charge to my credit card (again my fault), to being upgraded to a suite, made reservations and check-in full of pleasant surprises. Of course it's also hard to be cranky when a lobby smells like cookies.

I actually had two separate stays, and a few days later when I checked in again, the gentleman working the front desk phoned us shortly after check-in to ensure we found the room acceptable. I can't remember the last time that happened in Alberta. Not even at the various Fairmonts. I was also impressed by the staff working at the breakfast area. They were effecient and helpful, and kept the place pretty clean considering the tornado of young hockey players whirling around the lounge. At one point that busy morning, a staffperson was approached by a man holding his crying daughter whose finger was just slammed in the car door. The staff swiftly went into the back room and brought back a bag with ice for the little girl. It couldn't have been more than a matter of 30 seconds before the dad had what he needed.

The place itself is in good condition, has decent sound-proofing and comfortable beds. I liked the wide staircase that is the focus of the lobby. I enjoy walking up and down stairs instead of taking the elevator, and it seems like staircases in similar hotels are more like dank painted concrete. Maybe that's the 'Country Inn' part of the moniker.

Free breakfast buffet, but not many choices for gluten free, or other lowfat/low sugar choices. The scrambled eggs tasted like cinammon, which was kind of strange. That being said, there's a great breakfast place (Eggs & More) just a few minutes away by car. And how picky am I if I the only thing I can complain about is strange tasting eggs, when the breakfast is free?

I definitely recommend staying at the Country Inn & Suites, as I'm sure I'll be back myself. And maybe some of the other hotels should send their staff to stay here, too. They could learn a thing or two.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DebraI
CountryJunkie, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Calgary-Airport, AB, responded to this review, 7 June 2012
Thank you for your most kind review on your two recent stays with us at the Country Inn & Suites.

I am so very pleased to hear that you found the level of service at our hotel to be top rate and will be delighted to share your feedback with our entire team.

Again thank you for your kind review and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to Calgary!

Red Deer, Canada
Reviewed 24 May 2012

We have stayed here a few times now. We keep going back. The service is fantastic. The pool is clean and warm. The rooms are roomy and clean. Great place to stay.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank OADiver
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your most recent stay with us at the Country Inn & Suites.

I am very pleased to hear that you have chosen to return to stay with us based on the level of service and accommodations that you have consistently enjoyed.

We look forward to the next opportunity to welcome you back!

UK
Reviewed 17 May 2012

We stayed here after our long flight from Heathrow and were delighted with our room and the service we received. The room appeared to be newly referbished with a big comfy bed, a large spotlessly clean bathroom and a seperate living area. The airport shuttle was efficient and the breakfast buffet was varied and plentiful. Highly reccomended airport hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SH3107
CountryJunkie, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Calgary-Airport, AB, responded to this review, 19 May 2012
Thank you for your time in posting a review on your stay with us at the Country Inn & Suites Calgary-Airport.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that everything from our your one bedroom suite accommodation to our friendly staff, complimentary breakfast and airport shuttle met your expectations.

We hope to see you again should your travels bring you back to Calgary!

Calgary
Reviewed 11 May 2012

I slept at this airport hotel...it had good reviews....the checkin was great, the service at the front desk was most pleasant, quick and efficient with nice cookies to boot! The room was clean, the bathroom was clean, the amenities good...BUT...they forgot to wake me up! For an airport hotel, the most important thing is the correct and accurate timing of the wake up call...I never got mine!!!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank MAMCalgary
CountryJunkie, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Calgary-Airport, AB, responded to this review, 17 May 2012
We appreciate your time in posting a review on your recent stay with us at the Country Inn & Suites.

I am very sorry to hear that your wakeup call was not completed as requested and would ask that you contact me at your convenience so that I can investigate the situation. We understand the importance of ensuring that our guest's are up and on their way and I am regret that we let you down.

403-250-1800