Ramada Plaza Calgary Airport Hotel and Conference Centre
Ranked #65 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Calgary
“Never Again”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2008

I live in hotels 9 months of the year for work, so I think I am qualified to write a review. The rooms definitely are not first class. The lobby is very nice, but the rest of the hotel is very much a budget super8. I would be comfortable paying $80/night no more. There was a wedding the night of my stay. Music was supposed to be over by 11:00. I was on the third floor and still my pictures and lamps were vibrating. I could hear a car start and people talking from the far end of the parking lot. There is no sound proofing at all. I phone 4 times to the front desk after 11:00 for them to shut the music down. The night manager claimed he could not control the wedding party, they would not listen to him, so there was nothing he could do. The music carried on until around 2:00am. I made it clear at this time I was not paying for the room. I checked out at 4:00am with 2hrs sleep. I made it clear to the same night manager I was not paying for the room until I spoke with the hotel manager. It took me 2 days to get a hold of the hotel manager. She said they had already charged my card with out my consent so there was nothing she could do. I argued for 1/2hr with her. After she told me it was my own fault for staying in the room and not leaving, she finally refunded my card $20, which I have not seen. Nice service!!

• Liked — Not much to like
  • Disliked — It wasnt raining inside, thats about it
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
toronto
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2007

I travel four times a month for work, so I've seen my share of the best and worst. The Greenwood has really nailed it on this stay though. When my colleague and I checked in we were told that the rooms had been cancelled and they were now full. My one colleague had in fact cancelled HIS roomn not all three. Something I confirmed simply by reading their own copy of the fax. The hotel's on-duty manager walked out of her office and just stared at us. When I politely asked to speak to her she said, "Ya." and remained a good 20 feet away. She found us two rooms while only speaking to her staff. Not to my colleague and I. Our keys didn't work. Room service took THREE tries to bring us our meals. One extra trip for the forgotten cutlery. Another for the forgotten ketchup for fries. When it DID arrive the salsa had gone bad! lol. I don't say this to be malicious, it was just a really disappointing night for a seasoned traveller. If you wanna see what it feels like to sleep on a bag of rocks, and shower under the water pressure of a garden gnome, be sure to check out the greenwood inn airport.

Stayed November 2007

Travellers are raving about these Calgary hotels

Maui
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2007

This is an off-airport hotel, surrounded by an industrial park and a few restaurants. I have stayed there some ten times for work purposes; thus, my choice in returning did not exist.
The service and cleanliness have been consistent. The front desk staff are always friendly and helpful - both in terms of on-site inquiries and those regarding off-site activities (as few as they are). They are continuously nice even when dealing with key-card issues (e.g. not working, someone else is assigned to the room, etc.). The hotel shuttle drivers are also very friendly and prompt (the airport is some 15 min away).
The rooms are an average size and clean. The bed sheets are also in a reasonable state. Though, I do have to mention that one of my friends found some gunk on her bed sheet. Once we called, new sheets promptly arrived and were immediately changed. The staff were apologetic and polite about this incident.
In addition, the rooms are dated, though the furniture is mostly well maintained. Some rooms are furnished with an additional sink and fridge, while others are not. I would recommend asking for this feature at check in, especially if you need to store some food in your room.
The additional amenities available in the room are average, though the hand-cream (Hydro) is pleasant and the hotel does provide portable, miniature shoe polish boxes.
The exercise features are average. The gym is very small, but recently renovated. It is not used too often, and you can easily enjoy a work-out by yourself during off peak hours. The swimming pool is very small.
The restaurant is less than average. The look is very dated and the service is slow, albeit friendly. The food, on the other hand is not very good at all. I have had a few items off their menu, and I did not want to finish my meals. I would not recommend eating there, and try out any of the surrounding restaurants located within a 10-15 min walking distance. The ones I really enjoyed were Chili's and Earl's.
In terms of nearby attractions, there is so little to do, save for eating out at the surrounding restaurants. There is also a mall about 35 min away.

• Stayed August 2007
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Regina, Saskatchewan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2007

FIrst, I have to say that I don't complain very often about hotels - it has to be a PRETTY BAD experience for me to say that you shouldn't stay here. This hotel definitely suffers from what lots of businesses in Alberta suffer from and that is lack of competent staff. We had booked a 4 night stay at this hotel and even phoned the night before to confirm that we would not be checking in until midnight on the first evening - so when we arrived at midnight and they said that they had overbooked and that there was not even ONE room for us to stay in I was not happy BUT I did not get angry at the staff or freak out at anyone even when the 4 staff members at the desk had NOT ONE CLUE what to do. They stared and stared at the computer and rolled their eyes at the screen blaming the computer for the fact that we did not have a room for the night. Then, nobody at the front desk had any idea exactly what was supposed to happen at this point - they kept disappearing behind the door and coming out with different excuses and saying that they didn't know what to do. Finally, they started phoning around local hotels trying to find us a room and when I explained that we had already pre-paid for the whole 4 days they said that it was up to us to pay for the new hotel room despite the fact that we had a late check-in and had already paid for their room!!!!! BUT, I kept my cool and did not yell or complain. The worst of it was that it was the staff that acted like it was up to us to take care of the problem and that we were the ones that were the problem. We ended up paying for the night at the other hotel and when we went back to the Greenwood in the morining the girl that was at the desk then said that we shouldn't have had to do that - they should have arranged the payment!!! They did reverse the charge in the end but that is not where the story ends. On the day that we checked out there was a bill slipped under our door that was a receipt for the stay - it was for only 3 nights but the problem is that having prepaid for the hotel already through the AirCanada website there is really no way for us to get any refund - when I talked to the website people THEY were mad that the hotel had given us a copy of their bill which showed a 95$ per night charge and that they are only being billed for 3 nights and yet we are being billed for all 4 nights and at WAY more than that!!! Thanks Greenwood Hotel for all your incompetence and showing over and over again that your hotel really has nobody on staff day or night that know what to do.. ... I have left messages for the manager to call me but, of course, she is probably spending the whole day babysitting her staff as they certainly need a lot of help. I felt the first night that I was checking in that I could have gotten behind the counter and done a heck of a lot better job than ANY of the staff and that is NOT a good thing. I feel ripped off and unhappy and I didn't even get to the part about the people trapped in the elevator!!! (Thankfully it was not US!!!) If you are planning a stay at this hotel all I wish for you is that you get some good help from the staff as we certainly didn't!!!

• Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Melster
Red Deer, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2007

The hotel lobby is really nice and beautifull decorated. I found it really awkward standing in line waiting to check in because there were chairs in front of the desk and there was no other place to stand. The hotel only had one computer for guest use and this is a big place so that was one of the drawbacks. In addition the computer was out in the lobby and not in a business centre like other hotels of this class. The room were in good condition and only had a few burns in the rug. I was given a smoking room and couldn't change because the hotel was full. The good thing was I was able to open the window...the bad thing about doing this was I heard every plane that landed and took off from the Calgary Airport. This is a nice hotel and the food was tasty!

• Liked — The large room
  • Disliked — Lack of a business centre for guest use.
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Winnipeg
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2007

I stayed here on a business trip. My company had 7 employees booked for 3 nights (21 room fees all together), all coming in from different cities, and all booked by the same Travel Agency. I was the first to arrive and check in. I had called before I left home, as I wanted to confirm that they would be billing my room directly to my company, and no, I would not have to pay by my own credit card. They confirmed that they received the fax confirmation from my employer, and all was good. When I got there however, they said that my company had not faxed the correct information, so they were not going to give me my room unless I paid for it myself. I refused. The staff at the front desk were very rude, and dismissed me. When I asked if there was a phone I could use to call my travel agent, they pointed down the hall to a payphone. My travel agent called the front desk, I could see the staff person talking to her, and and then the staff person hung up on my travel agent! Finally, after I sat in the lobby for close to 2 hours, they gave me my room, but no apologies for the treatment or their error. I would have gone to a different hotel, but I was meeting 6 of my co-workers in the morning, plus it was Stampede week, so chances of me getting a room anywhere else were slim.

The next day one of my co-workers was checking in, as she had arrived a day later than everyone else, and she had the same problem checking in as I had. We went to the front desk together and asked to speak to a manager, as this was unacceptable. We had 7 people renting 7 different rooms for 3 nights, and the way we were being treated was unbelievable. As we turned to walk away from the desk to wait for the manager, the staff member who had been 'assisting' us turned to another staff, and said "what a [--]". The manager came and assured us all that the situation was fixed, and said she would talk to the staff who called me the name. That evening, another of my coworkers went to take a cash advance out on her credit card, and couldn't. The Greenwood Inn, who assured us they were billing our company directly for our rooms, had charged her room to her credit card - and she hadn't even checked out yet!! The staff member who had used the profane language was still behind the desk doing their job. Let me tell you, I am in the customer service business also, and if one of my clients ever told my manager that they heard me call them a profane name, I would be fired on the spot.

When I returned home, I sent a detailed account of my experiences at the Greenwood Inn to our manager that looks after travel arrangements. She spoke with the Greenwood's managers, and they advised her that they were very sorry, and would send apology letters to all guests involved. Well, it's been over a year, and I still have not received my apology letter. Our company no longer reserves rooms at this hotel for its employees.

On a positive note, this hotel is beautiful, the room was a clean, standard 2-bed room. The pool looked nice, but I was scared to actually try it out, or walk by the front desk after my first night. I was scared they were going to change their minds and make me leave! The restaurant was very good, and the staff there were very friendly. Too bad the front desk staff didn't take lessons from them.

• Liked — It was clean
  • Disliked — The staff
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled on business
1 Thank wpg_kreacher
Coquitlam
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2007

The hotel was decent, and the King Bed was quite comfortable. When I checked in I asked for the AAA discount, as I am a member. The response was that they wouldn't give a discount because the hotel was full that night. In other words, they would give a discount if the hotel was not full. That really sticks in my craw. Either you offer a discount or you don't. I won't go back.

• Liked — Comfortable bed
  • Disliked — No discounts if hotel is full
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled on business