Ramada Plaza Calgary Airport Hotel and Conference Centre
  • Pool
US$155
Official Hotel
  • Breakfast included
Best Western Plus Port O'Call Hotel(Calgary)(Great Value!)
US$126
  • Restaurant
US$183
US$155
  • Pool
Best Western Plus Suites Downtown(Calgary)(Great Value!)
US$113
US$123
US$82
US$160
US$108
All reviewsroom was cleanquiet staycalgary airportlate checkpool and hot tubimranwestjetstopoverloungestampedevehicleconvenience
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 April 2008

The Greenwood Inn Calgary is in a non-descript industrial park in Northeast Calgary. The property is close enough to the airport to have a free airport shuttle, and they provide free parking to visitors.

I found the staff generally competent, though their swipecards never worked as expected. (They lose their magnetism way too quickly.) The lounge is a standard area with video lottery terminals, while the restaurant serves standard fare. The hotel also has a steam room, a small pool, and an exercise room.

The rooms themselves are dated but effective. The bathrooms were modern, but the pipes kept tapping every once in a while. Free wired Internet is provided, which is fantastic, though the desk in the room was so small that one could barely place a laptop.

The soundproofing of the rooms isn't that great. My last night there, I kept hearing doors slam back and forth.

Whenever choosing an airport hotel, I tend to go to one of the major chains, because of the additional airline points that I can receive. The Greenwood is not a large enough chain to offer such points. Thus, because they are as equally priced as nearby hotels, makes the Greenwood a tough sell. There's nothing there that offended me, but I wouldn't go out of my way to head there, neither.

• Stayed: April 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank garfodie
Reviewed 31 March 2008

I live in hotels 9 months of the year for work, so I think I am qualified to write a review. The rooms definitely are not first class. The lobby is very nice, but the rest of the hotel is very much a budget super8. I would be comfortable paying $80/night no more. There was a wedding the night of my stay. Music was supposed to be over by 11:00. I was on the third floor and still my pictures and lamps were vibrating. I could hear a car start and people talking from the far end of the parking lot. There is no sound proofing at all. I phone 4 times to the front desk after 11:00 for them to shut the music down. The night manager claimed he could not control the wedding party, they would not listen to him, so there was nothing he could do. The music carried on until around 2:00am. I made it clear at this time I was not paying for the room. I checked out at 4:00am with 2hrs sleep. I made it clear to the same night manager I was not paying for the room until I spoke with the hotel manager. It took me 2 days to get a hold of the hotel manager. She said they had already charged my card with out my consent so there was nothing she could do. I argued for 1/2hr with her. After she told me it was my own fault for staying in the room and not leaving, she finally refunded my card $20, which I have not seen. Nice service!!

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 21 November 2007

I travel four times a month for work, so I've seen my share of the best and worst. The Greenwood has really nailed it on this stay though. When my colleague and I checked in we were told that the rooms had been cancelled and they were now full. My one colleague had in fact cancelled HIS roomn not all three. Something I confirmed simply by reading their own copy of the fax. The hotel's on-duty manager walked out of her office and just stared at us. When I politely asked to speak to her she said, "Ya." and remained a good 20 feet away. She found us two rooms while only speaking to her staff. Not to my colleague and I. Our keys didn't work. Room service took THREE tries to bring us our meals. One extra trip for the forgotten cutlery. Another for the forgotten ketchup for fries. When it DID arrive the salsa had gone bad! lol. I don't say this to be malicious, it was just a really disappointing night for a seasoned traveller. If you wanna see what it feels like to sleep on a bag of rocks, and shower under the water pressure of a garden gnome, be sure to check out the greenwood inn airport.

Stayed: November 2007
Reviewed 24 October 2007

This is an off-airport hotel, surrounded by an industrial park and a few restaurants. I have stayed there some ten times for work purposes; thus, my choice in returning did not exist.
The service and cleanliness have been consistent. The front desk staff are always friendly and helpful - both in terms of on-site inquiries and those regarding off-site activities (as few as they are). They are continuously nice even when dealing with key-card issues (e.g. not working, someone else is assigned to the room, etc.). The hotel shuttle drivers are also very friendly and prompt (the airport is some 15 min away).
The rooms are an average size and clean. The bed sheets are also in a reasonable state. Though, I do have to mention that one of my friends found some gunk on her bed sheet. Once we called, new sheets promptly arrived and were immediately changed. The staff were apologetic and polite about this incident.
In addition, the rooms are dated, though the furniture is mostly well maintained. Some rooms are furnished with an additional sink and fridge, while others are not. I would recommend asking for this feature at check in, especially if you need to store some food in your room.
The additional amenities available in the room are average, though the hand-cream (Hydro) is pleasant and the hotel does provide portable, miniature shoe polish boxes.
The exercise features are average. The gym is very small, but recently renovated. It is not used too often, and you can easily enjoy a work-out by yourself during off peak hours. The swimming pool is very small.
The restaurant is less than average. The look is very dated and the service is slow, albeit friendly. The food, on the other hand is not very good at all. I have had a few items off their menu, and I did not want to finish my meals. I would not recommend eating there, and try out any of the surrounding restaurants located within a 10-15 min walking distance. The ones I really enjoyed were Chili's and Earl's.
In terms of nearby attractions, there is so little to do, save for eating out at the surrounding restaurants. There is also a mall about 35 min away.

• Stayed: August 2007
Reviewed 18 October 2007

FIrst, I have to say that I don't complain very often about hotels - it has to be a PRETTY BAD experience for me to say that you shouldn't stay here. This hotel definitely suffers from what lots of businesses in Alberta suffer from and that is lack of competent staff. We had booked a 4 night stay at this hotel and even phoned the night before to confirm that we would not be checking in until midnight on the first evening - so when we arrived at midnight and they said that they had overbooked and that there was not even ONE room for us to stay in I was not happy BUT I did not get angry at the staff or freak out at anyone even when the 4 staff members at the desk had NOT ONE CLUE what to do. They stared and stared at the computer and rolled their eyes at the screen blaming the computer for the fact that we did not have a room for the night. Then, nobody at the front desk had any idea exactly what was supposed to happen at this point - they kept disappearing behind the door and coming out with different excuses and saying that they didn't know what to do. Finally, they started phoning around local hotels trying to find us a room and when I explained that we had already pre-paid for the whole 4 days they said that it was up to us to pay for the new hotel room despite the fact that we had a late check-in and had already paid for their room!!!!! BUT, I kept my cool and did not yell or complain. The worst of it was that it was the staff that acted like it was up to us to take care of the problem and that we were the ones that were the problem. We ended up paying for the night at the other hotel and when we went back to the Greenwood in the morining the girl that was at the desk then said that we shouldn't have had to do that - they should have arranged the payment!!! They did reverse the charge in the end but that is not where the story ends. On the day that we checked out there was a bill slipped under our door that was a receipt for the stay - it was for only 3 nights but the problem is that having prepaid for the hotel already through the AirCanada website there is really no way for us to get any refund - when I talked to the website people THEY were mad that the hotel had given us a copy of their bill which showed a 95$ per night charge and that they are only being billed for 3 nights and yet we are being billed for all 4 nights and at WAY more than that!!! Thanks Greenwood Hotel for all your incompetence and showing over and over again that your hotel really has nobody on staff day or night that know what to do.. ... I have left messages for the manager to call me but, of course, she is probably spending the whole day babysitting her staff as they certainly need a lot of help. I felt the first night that I was checking in that I could have gotten behind the counter and done a heck of a lot better job than ANY of the staff and that is NOT a good thing. I feel ripped off and unhappy and I didn't even get to the part about the people trapped in the elevator!!! (Thankfully it was not US!!!) If you are planning a stay at this hotel all I wish for you is that you get some good help from the staff as we certainly didn't!!!

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple