“Second stay at the Greenwood” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ramada Plaza Calgary Airport Hotel and Conference Centre

Ramada Plaza Calgary Airport Hotel and Conference Centre
Ranked #65 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Paris, Canada
“Second stay at the Greenwood”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2008

I spent 2 nights at the Greenwood in last week. My second stay this year.
In front of the hotel is a water fountain, good place to sit and have a coffee. There are benches to sit. I found this a nice touch as I am a smoker and don't like hanging out front of the lobby when you consider a good portion of people walking in and out do not smoke. Wish more people would do the same.
Once again I was on the second floor but facing the front of the hotel, these rooms do not have balconies but odd numbered rooms do, rooms 121 to 129 I believe. The noise is quite loud from the air conditioners but I don't really care, my home central air is just outside the kitchen and I haven't complained about that yet.
The room was very clean and included a small counter complete with mini fridge, coffee maker and sink. I could find 1 fault which is the network cable was too short to reach the desk but I had my own.
Daltons was still a good place to eat and my second night I ventured to Chilis. I wouldn't consider walking as you have to cross a major road.
I am headed back in a few weeks and will try to snap more pictures but included a few.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — a little outdated
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank planetype

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Calgary
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2008

We had left for the day, when we came back a locked container had been broken into. We later discovered that it was a housekeeper. When we went to the staff they said that they would cover the cost of the night, but later charged it to a credit card.

• Liked — Cleanliness of pool, SOME friendly staff.
  • Disliked — Housekeeping staff and manager.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travellers are raving about these Calgary hotels

nanaimo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2008

I found the desk staff to be unhelpful and abrupt.Our room was poorly cleaned(floor was dirty/we found food all along our bed).Bathroom was in rough shape,toilet did not flush properly.Huge crack in wall...Drapes had a 18 inch rip in it.But by far the largest problem was the noise!We were kept up well into the night by a wedding reception.The hotel wouldn't do a thing about this.I thought hotels were a place you go to sleep?

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Cambridge
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2008

The Greenwood Inn Calgary is in a non-descript industrial park in Northeast Calgary. The property is close enough to the airport to have a free airport shuttle, and they provide free parking to visitors.

I found the staff generally competent, though their swipecards never worked as expected. (They lose their magnetism way too quickly.) The lounge is a standard area with video lottery terminals, while the restaurant serves standard fare. The hotel also has a steam room, a small pool, and an exercise room.

The rooms themselves are dated but effective. The bathrooms were modern, but the pipes kept tapping every once in a while. Free wired Internet is provided, which is fantastic, though the desk in the room was so small that one could barely place a laptop.

The soundproofing of the rooms isn't that great. My last night there, I kept hearing doors slam back and forth.

Whenever choosing an airport hotel, I tend to go to one of the major chains, because of the additional airline points that I can receive. The Greenwood is not a large enough chain to offer such points. Thus, because they are as equally priced as nearby hotels, makes the Greenwood a tough sell. There's nothing there that offended me, but I wouldn't go out of my way to head there, neither.

• Liked — Free Internet, free parking
  • Disliked — bad bad swipecard system, dated pool
  • Stayed April 2008
1 Thank garfodie
Calgary
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2008

I live in hotels 9 months of the year for work, so I think I am qualified to write a review. The rooms definitely are not first class. The lobby is very nice, but the rest of the hotel is very much a budget super8. I would be comfortable paying $80/night no more. There was a wedding the night of my stay. Music was supposed to be over by 11:00. I was on the third floor and still my pictures and lamps were vibrating. I could hear a car start and people talking from the far end of the parking lot. There is no sound proofing at all. I phone 4 times to the front desk after 11:00 for them to shut the music down. The night manager claimed he could not control the wedding party, they would not listen to him, so there was nothing he could do. The music carried on until around 2:00am. I made it clear at this time I was not paying for the room. I checked out at 4:00am with 2hrs sleep. I made it clear to the same night manager I was not paying for the room until I spoke with the hotel manager. It took me 2 days to get a hold of the hotel manager. She said they had already charged my card with out my consent so there was nothing she could do. I argued for 1/2hr with her. After she told me it was my own fault for staying in the room and not leaving, she finally refunded my card $20, which I have not seen. Nice service!!

• Liked — Not much to like
  • Disliked — It wasnt raining inside, thats about it
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
toronto
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2007

I travel four times a month for work, so I've seen my share of the best and worst. The Greenwood has really nailed it on this stay though. When my colleague and I checked in we were told that the rooms had been cancelled and they were now full. My one colleague had in fact cancelled HIS roomn not all three. Something I confirmed simply by reading their own copy of the fax. The hotel's on-duty manager walked out of her office and just stared at us. When I politely asked to speak to her she said, "Ya." and remained a good 20 feet away. She found us two rooms while only speaking to her staff. Not to my colleague and I. Our keys didn't work. Room service took THREE tries to bring us our meals. One extra trip for the forgotten cutlery. Another for the forgotten ketchup for fries. When it DID arrive the salsa had gone bad! lol. I don't say this to be malicious, it was just a really disappointing night for a seasoned traveller. If you wanna see what it feels like to sleep on a bag of rocks, and shower under the water pressure of a garden gnome, be sure to check out the greenwood inn airport.

Stayed November 2007
Maui
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2007

This is an off-airport hotel, surrounded by an industrial park and a few restaurants. I have stayed there some ten times for work purposes; thus, my choice in returning did not exist.
The service and cleanliness have been consistent. The front desk staff are always friendly and helpful - both in terms of on-site inquiries and those regarding off-site activities (as few as they are). They are continuously nice even when dealing with key-card issues (e.g. not working, someone else is assigned to the room, etc.). The hotel shuttle drivers are also very friendly and prompt (the airport is some 15 min away).
The rooms are an average size and clean. The bed sheets are also in a reasonable state. Though, I do have to mention that one of my friends found some gunk on her bed sheet. Once we called, new sheets promptly arrived and were immediately changed. The staff were apologetic and polite about this incident.
In addition, the rooms are dated, though the furniture is mostly well maintained. Some rooms are furnished with an additional sink and fridge, while others are not. I would recommend asking for this feature at check in, especially if you need to store some food in your room.
The additional amenities available in the room are average, though the hand-cream (Hydro) is pleasant and the hotel does provide portable, miniature shoe polish boxes.
The exercise features are average. The gym is very small, but recently renovated. It is not used too often, and you can easily enjoy a work-out by yourself during off peak hours. The swimming pool is very small.
The restaurant is less than average. The look is very dated and the service is slow, albeit friendly. The food, on the other hand is not very good at all. I have had a few items off their menu, and I did not want to finish my meals. I would not recommend eating there, and try out any of the surrounding restaurants located within a 10-15 min walking distance. The ones I really enjoyed were Chili's and Earl's.
In terms of nearby attractions, there is so little to do, save for eating out at the surrounding restaurants. There is also a mall about 35 min away.

• Stayed August 2007