“Great for Budget & Adventure Traveler”

Holiday Inn Express Calgary
Ranked #68 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 19 September 2013

I stay here while attending Spruce Meadows "Masters" as an photographer. My friend and I used the light rail transit back and forth. The staff at the Holiday Inn were most helpful and friendly giving us the "lay of the land" and putting us a ease with the West End Town "flavor." I am a realistic traveler and keep my eyes wide open to all the elements at play, To the staff at the Holiday... Thank you! You all were professional and friendly and were most helpful taking the next step in making sure we had a great experience.

Room Tip: This is a great place to stay while most of your day is gone on adventures. If you are look for blus...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 8 September 2013

We generally like Holiday Inn Express, but for the price this one just wasn't up to par. The building is older, and although the rooms are decent, I probably wouldn't stay here again, For the price we paid ($200 for one night) there are much nicer hotels in downtown Calgary.
There is a continental breakfast, but we didn't eat there so I can't say if it was any good or not.
The staff at the hotel was great, and the location is awesome if you want to be downtown. I did also like the balconies off the rooms.
I just can't justify the price for a hotel that is very mediocre.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Calgary, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2013

Dear Rachelle R,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay with us. Our staff always goes out of their way to be helpful and attentive to the guests and we are glad that you enjoyed their hospitality. We are also pleased you liked our location. It was unfortunate to see your stay was not as comfortable as it could have been due to the condition of our facilities. Rest assured that we take all comments and suggestions to heart so that we can improve and provide the exceptional service that our guests expect and deserve.

Once again, thank you for your thoughtful comments. We look forward to the opportunity of serving you again in the future.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 6 September 2013

We arrived from Australia after a 23 1/2 hour journey!!
Caught shuttle from airport and were greeted by wonderful staff Rachel at front desk!!!
Room had 2 queen sized beds and was clean and comfortable.
Breakie was included and had everything you could want, was fresh and delicious!!
Would definitely recommend this place to other and would stay here again for sure!!!

Room Tip: Read reviews before booking anywhere
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 July 2013

This is to relay my dissatisfaction on my recent stay at this location on July 14-16. The location does not look like safe specially at night when strolling in the area, the price is comparable to other hotels near the centre of the city and the staff was not attentive to my needs. The first night stay, I was given a room adjacent to the elevator - I had asked to be transferred away from the elevator. The night manager/staff noted this but I did not hear nor was advised whether this was possible. I was supposed to check out on July 20 (1 - week stay) but had to leave early because of this poor customer service. I advised the front desk staff of my dissatisfaction and said that it will be relayed to the manager, to date, I have not received a call or email or any communication regarding this concern. This is something very unusual to the service that I get from the other hotel locations and I am very frustrated with this outcome. I hope somebody in higher management would take a note of this.

Room Tip: I was told that to get a bigger and spacious room at this location, it has to be at the end of both...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank comp-aliance
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Calgary, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2013

Dear comp-aliance,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay with us. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 20 June 2013

Earlier this week, I spent two nights at this hotel. The suite was Huge and more room than I had time to enjoy! The staff was extremely attentive and friendly! I did not have time to enjoy the offered breakfasts as my morning meetings were elsewhere over that meal. It's about a mile (1.6 km) to Center Street giving one an opportunity to walk or, if less inclined to exercise, there is a free downtown light rail system. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Ronald L
HIEX, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Calgary, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2013

Thank you for your review of our hotel! We are glad you enjoyed your stay here and it worked out well for your business trip. We look forward to having you back again soon!

Reviewed 17 June 2013

Just got back to Calgary from China and this has been my stop for 2 nights before continuing my journey southward in Alberta. My vacation has just begun and after some long flights, delays and other issues, the hotel was a welcome retreat to recharge my batteries before continuing.

The staff was great. They were incredibly helpful both with information about nearby necessities and with making things as simple as possible.

The suite was really nice and very well-appointed.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Scott G
Reviewed 22 May 2013

Called phone centred received a great rate for our stay but was informed to contact hotel directly to book. Took the extra time to phone hotel directly only to be told NO! Asked to speak with manager which was then told I already was. Spoke to Sheri (apparently General Manager) and she would not give the quoted rate! Unhelpful! What is the point booking with a hotel that cannot honour rates given over the phone!! Will never stay here, and will inform everyone about the poor service! Wow, pretty sad when you receive bad service prior to your stay. Good thing I never booked with this hotel. Phoned other hotels in the downtown area, and surprise... they gave the rate quoted from their call centres. Bravo Westin, Sandman, Ramada and Regency Suites! Shame on you Holiday Inn Express!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
6  Thank im1sweetchick
HIEX, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Calgary, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2013

Thank you for your concerns regarding the property and your review. I apologize that you feel that way regarding the rates that were given, however I was the person you spoke with and did try and get your details along with the details for your phone call to central reservations so I could investigate it and have them take responsibilty for the incorrect information so they could be responsible for the difference of rates. Upon asking for your information so I could call you back you said you would call back and hung up the phone. I can assure you that we do provide excellent customer service as seen from previous reviews, and should you have chosen to stay with us we would have tried very hard to have this rectified for you. As we know we can not always completely satisfy our guests but we do take our jobs very seriously and try and offer a home away from home for our guests. Please email gmhiexdt@shaw.ca with any further concerns. Thank you very much in advance.