Holiday Inn Express Calgary
Ranked #69 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 2 December 2013

The service at this hotel is good, front desk staff are nice and say hello when you come in. One con was that the room I got had a broken shower rod so it would slide open while I was using it. There ended up being a big puddle of water after each shower on the floor. The bathrooms need a little TLC, but otherwise a good hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Calgary, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Dear phil4vic,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review regarding your recent stay. It is nice to know that the service received was at par with expectations. I am sorry about the inconvenience you may have had with the shower facility. We appreciate your feedback and your business. We will use your comments to improve our efforts.

Pam G

Reviewed 24 November 2013

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express while I was in town for a convention and all the hotels closer to the convention centre were booked solid.
While it was great to get free parking with the room and the front desk staff were extremely friendly, the room itself was a disappointment.
The hallway carpets were dirty and the room I was assigned was located directly across from the elevator, which meant I had to listen to the mechanical noises it made all night. Thankfully I had a pair of ear plugs with me.
In the morning I spent a good 10 minutes waiting for said elevator.
The breakfast selection was ok, but unfortunately the only "dishes" available were styrofoam plates and cups. Even switching to paper versions of the plates and cups would have a huge environmental impact and I hope the hotel will consider switching.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank seedogthink
HIEX, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Calgary, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

Thank you for staying at our hotel, and for taking the time to submit your review to TripAdvisor. We appreciate your positive comments about our staff, and the fact that we offer free parking and breakfast. I am certain you would agree that free parking in downtown Calgary represents considerable savings over other downtown hotels.

Within the next few months, there will be many exciting changes taking place at the hotel, and I am confident that you would be impressed with them.

Thank you again for staying with us. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 20 October 2013

I was concerned that it would be noisy because the hotel is right downtown and there is a bar of some kind next door & it was a Friday night but it was quiet and peaceful all night. As a platinum member they gave me an upgrade to the jacuzzi suite. I couldn't get it to work but I enjoyed soaking in that tub while watching TV. The bed was great - better than many other Holiday Inns I've stayed at. Breakfast is free and was very good! Coffee was better than expected. The whole experience of checking in and out - perfect. Parking was also free with no trouble getting a spot right behind the hotel. I'll stay again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 October 2013

The building is very old and some of the rooms have a very musty smell. I was not impressed also as the rooms are very old and out of date.
The hotel has 9 floors and only one elevator.
Staff were fine, but I'm not sure I would be back.
Locale was iffy: right beside a bar with lots of "undesirables" mulling all around.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank CalgaryDavid
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Calgary, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2013

Dear CalgaryDavid,

We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel. We just want to assure you that our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. We are disappointed that we did not meet your expectations on this particular day. Though we would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and we hope you give us a chance in the future to make your stay as best as it can be.

Connie D

Reviewed 19 September 2013

I stay here while attending Spruce Meadows "Masters" as an photographer. My friend and I used the light rail transit back and forth. The staff at the Holiday Inn were most helpful and friendly giving us the "lay of the land" and putting us a ease with the West End Town "flavor." I am a realistic traveler and keep my eyes wide open to all the elements at play, To the staff at the Holiday... Thank you! You all were professional and friendly and were most helpful taking the next step in making sure we had a great experience.

Room Tip: This is a great place to stay while most of your day is gone on adventures. If you are look for blus...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 September 2013

We generally like Holiday Inn Express, but for the price this one just wasn't up to par. The building is older, and although the rooms are decent, I probably wouldn't stay here again, For the price we paid ($200 for one night) there are much nicer hotels in downtown Calgary.
There is a continental breakfast, but we didn't eat there so I can't say if it was any good or not.
The staff at the hotel was great, and the location is awesome if you want to be downtown. I did also like the balconies off the rooms.
I just can't justify the price for a hotel that is very mediocre.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Calgary, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2013

Dear Rachelle R,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay with us. Our staff always goes out of their way to be helpful and attentive to the guests and we are glad that you enjoyed their hospitality. We are also pleased you liked our location. It was unfortunate to see your stay was not as comfortable as it could have been due to the condition of our facilities. Rest assured that we take all comments and suggestions to heart so that we can improve and provide the exceptional service that our guests expect and deserve.

Once again, thank you for your thoughtful comments. We look forward to the opportunity of serving you again in the future.

Karen C

Reviewed 6 September 2013

We arrived from Australia after a 23 1/2 hour journey!!
Caught shuttle from airport and were greeted by wonderful staff Rachel at front desk!!!
Room had 2 queen sized beds and was clean and comfortable.
Breakie was included and had everything you could want, was fresh and delicious!!
Would definitely recommend this place to other and would stay here again for sure!!!

Room Tip: Read reviews before booking anywhere
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family