“Good for Business Traveller not wanting to spend to much”

Holiday Inn Express Calgary
Ranked #72 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 9 August 2010

Stayed here when visiting downtown Calgary on business.

Its more on the outskirts of the downtown area but still only a few blocks walk to the centre which is okay - safe area, lots of people around when walking in the evening.

The hotel itself looks fairly basic, but the rooms are well equiped with fridge, microwave, big TV, balcony, large comfortable bed and shower.

The free breakfast in the AM was basic, but you don't need to many frills (i don't anyway), when i have business lunches all week, and just need something to kick start your day.

Free WiFi was reliable, i did not use the gym or any other facilities.

If you are used to staying in Marriots and Hyatts i would say that you probably wont like the Holiday Inn. But if you are looking for the basics then this works fine.

Jerry or Gary (lost his name in translation!) was an attentative front desk manager, so top marks there.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank ukv
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Calgary

Reviewed 4 July 2010

My family took a trip to Calgary and we decided to stay at this hotel due primarily to location. We stayed four nights, Wednesday to Sunday. The hotel staff were friendly and helpful in regards to finding local restaurants and things to see in the city. The rooms were spacious and clean.

We had quiet night of sleep on Wednesday and Thursday night and were having a great trip ... then Friday night arrived. At 10 pm we were awoke by massive amount of rumbling bass which continued until 2:30 am. The music was so intense that we assumed it was a neighbouring room having a party. I spoke with the front desk who admitted that there was a bar (Nelsons) attached to the hotel which was the source of the noise.

My family ended up trying to watch TV, having to wait out the noise which lasted until 2:30 am when the bar shut down. After a terrible night I spoke with the front desk about cancelling the remainder of our stay and moving to another hotel. I was assured that this was a one time thing and that we would not be bothered again during our stay by noise from the bar. The exact same thing happened on Saturday night ... incredibly loud bass music until 2:30 am. This wasn't something you could sleep through. The pounding thump made you feel like you were trying to sleep in a club. The lack of sleep made my children tired and cranky and put a huge kink in our trip.

This is a nice hotel to stay at during the week, but I would strongly avoid ever staying here on a weekend due to the noise from the attached bar's live entertainment!!!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank unknown_id
Reviewed 1 March 2010

Booked the hotel on line and did not read the fine print. Wow look out. You can not cancel.
The rate is $140.00 for Friday and Saturday and then Sunday they charge you $171.00. When I asked why the rate hike they said all hotels do this. Not true. The Sandman is only two blocks away and they charge on $99.00 a night. Even though I gave over a month to cancel because I booked on line with a special rate I could not cancel. BEWARE!!!
I guess it is live and learn. Never had a problem like this booking on line before but have learned a lesson to read the find print very carefully.

I assume they will take this complaint off but I decided to write it as it is the only way I can complain. It is Mar. 1, 2010 and my reservation is for April 2, 3 & 4 . That seems like more than enough notice. I'm told that hotel that practice this no cancellation policy are desperate for money and will to risk their reputation feeling there is nothing I can do about it. BUT they are wrong I can complain.

Will phone tomorrow to manager and see if they will do anything but I was told they will not let me cancel.

What do you think of this policy??? Rip off comes to mind.

Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank KootenayGalTrail_BC
HIEX, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Calgary, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2010

Thank you for taking the time to voice your concerns. As you know, the rate you booked was a prepaid discounted rate. The website does state the restrictions quite clearly, and it is most unfortunate that you missed the notifications.

Had I received a phone call from you, I am confident I could have relaxed the restrictions to your satisfaction.

Thank you again for voicing your concerns,

Reviewed 1 November 2009

We recently stayed here for 7 nights, and found it pleasant and comfortable in every respect. We too have stayed in hotels such as the Marriott & Hyatt but for friendliness and cleanliness we cannot rate this hotel too highly. The beds were extremely comfortable and our room large and airy, not to mention the abundance of towels supplied with other toiletries in the bathroom, with a change of linen every day. Along with the Complimentary Breakfast which we must add in addition to toast,fruit, cereals etc there was always something hot ie Sausages/Bacon/ Fluffy Scambled Egg! We give special mention to the General Manager M/s Meikle,\Dean, Shirley, Mark and Carmen who all made to help our stay more enjoyable.
Beryl Klis/Betty Jenner U.K.

• Stayed: September 2009
1  Thank KlisEastbourne
Reviewed 25 September 2009

Stayed here when visiting downtown Calgary on business. Its more on the outskirts of the downtown area but still only a few blocks walk to the centre and Stephens Ave. The walk itself seemed very safe to me. Always seemed to be people going about. The hotel itself looks fairly basic and run down from the outside and even from the small reception area. My room was on the 9th floor and was large. The room was far nicer than my expectations given the appearance of the hotel enterence. There was a new flat screen TV, a desk to work at and a large and clean toilet. The bed was reasonably comfortable. The hotel has free wifi which you obviously dont get in the likes of the Hyatt and Marriott. There is a free breakfast. Again its basic but if all you are looking for is some toast, cereal, juice, coffee etc then this works fine. There is no onsite restaurant but then again most hotel restaurants are overpriced and bad value. There are plenty of places to eat in the downtown area.

There is a very small gym - it has a treadmill, eliptical and bike but both times i used it there was no one else there

Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
3  Thank derek1407
Reviewed 4 August 2009

Spent 3 nights here with my husband while on business trip. Hotel was clean and offered many amenities.....GREAT breakfast, computer with printer in lobby, workout room, laundry, free underground parking, fridge and microwave in room, close to train station, easy to get in and out of downtown area....My only complaint was how small the hotel room was....We brought our 2 boys with us and there was hardly any space to walk around the room by the time we sat our luggage down. The boys were also disappointed there was no swimming pool.

Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Texans112
Reviewed 14 July 2009

Stayed here for the Calgary Stampede (About 10 min taxi ride costing approx. CD$ 8 -12). We moved here from the Coast Inn and were much happier as it was nicer, cleaner, and felt much safer! We had a suite- small kitchenette, queen bed, sofa bed, & good shower. Slightly dated, but clean & spacious. Very friendly & helpful general manager. Breakfast was self-service- cereal, eggs, sausages, muffins, bagels, toast; sounds basic but just what is needed on holiday with children.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family