“high class english b&b style with superb stampede access”

Calgary Westways Guest House
Ranked #1 of 57 Calgary B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 29 July 2011

We were given a warm welcome by Jonathan, who very helpfully took the time to explain where a selection of local restaurants were, made sure we understood how to use the room facilities and showed us where we could get the complimentary chilled sodas, coffee etc. there is a lovely front garden to relax in, and the rooms are beautifully appointed. The Aberhart room is quite compact, but the rates reflect this and are good value for money.
The position is simply unrivaled for access to stampede park and together with free parking makes it an easy choice to stay here.
breakfasts are nicely cooked canadian fare, and huge - this is ok for a day or two but my wife and I quickly found ourselves asking for something much smaller, fortunately Jonathan is very accommodating of these requests.
The only thing i could not get used to was the one large breakfast table for all guests, I am a docile animal in the mornings and generally do not feel much like chit-chat before i've had a least two cups of coffee - but that's personal preference.
Westways is unquestionably a very good quality b&b and was an absolute pleasure stay at. It's convenient position for the stampede park, restaurants on 4th, and easy walking distance from downtown is the jewel in it's crown.

Room Tip: go for one of the larger rooms if you are staying more than one night.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sometimewanderlust

Reviewed 29 June 2011

This was our first bed and breakfast and absolutely loved it. Jonathon and Graham made us feel at home right away. Enjoyed chatting with the other guests over fabulous breakfasts.
We stayed in the Scollen room and it had a jacuzzi tub, fireplace and a balcony comfortable chairs, big T.V. and a great private bathroom with hairdryer soaps and shampoo. The room was lovely and the king bed oh so comfortable.
We would so stay here again our next visit to Calgary as long as we could get a reservation.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pamelaboonzaayer
Reviewed 26 June 2011

I stayed at Westways for 3 nights and had a good time! Everyone was polite and helpful and Jonathon took time to show me all the features of my room. The attention to detail was impressive - the room even had an iPod docking station and the bathroom had every possible thing you could ever need away from home. This place is also right in the middle of downtown, next to a grocery store and near countless bars and restaurants. I'll stay here again next time I'm in Calgary.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank w999
Reviewed 31 January 2011

We came to the city to take in two plays. Westways bed and breakfast was a wonderful place to stay, close to everything, room was charming with a fireplace and jet tub. Service was wonderful and we met other interesting people at breakfast. Did I say how great the breakfast was!!!! We will go back for sure.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank InnHeavenBandB
Reviewed 25 July 2010

Excellent location - only 10 minutes walk from Stampede Park and easy walking distance to a number of restaurants. Well appointed rooms and super breakfasts. Accommodating and genial hosts. Very much recommended if you are visiting Calgary and especially during the stampede weeks.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Bol2nWandererBol2n
Reviewed 11 June 2010

I went to Calgary for a wedding, and needed a place to stay with my small dog for 4 days. So lucky to find a room at Westways Guest House. Excellent location: small park suitable for dog walks within a couple of blocks, and the fun of 4 Street W close by. I had the Rouleauville room, which I really liked because it has a sitting area with windows - lots of natural light - and the bedroom on the inside, quieter for sleeeping. The bathroom was very nicely done in a style sympathetic to the period of the house. Furniture is also in keeping with the period. Breakfasts were excellent, and my special diet needs were cheerfully accommodated (corn allergy and vegetarian). Hosts were friendly and helpful. Free high-speed Wi-Fi too!

• Stayed: June 2010
2  Thank JenD_BC
Reviewed 16 March 2010

Westways is SO much better than any hotel. I stayed in the smallest room at the Westways, and it was just perfect. It was cozy, comfy, and convenient. And the room rate can't be beat. I loved the super-size claw-foot bathtub. My son, a Calgary resident, brought me a hair dryer, but I didn't need it--Westways provided it. Breakfast was delicious. I liked being able to walk upstairs and make a cup of coffee or tea at any time; and there were a microwave and fridge if needed. I especially enjoyed the furnishings and many items of interest on the walls of the dining room. Westways is convenient for just about everything. I especially enjoyed getting my exercise on the river walk with all the sights and sounds. The many honking geese made me laugh over and over. (In Albuquerque we have the funny roadrunners, but they're rare.)

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo