“Comfortable place in a great location”

Calgary Westways Guest House
Ranked #1 of 60 Calgary B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 25 October 2011

We've stayed at Westways several times over the years, and always found it very comfortable. The rooms are fully kitted out with satellite TV, DVD players, IPad players & phones. There's off-street parking, and a small kitchen is available to guests - all the comforts of home!The location is excellent - close to a major N/S road, 2 blocks from a lively area with excellent restaurants, 1 block from the Elbow River Walk. Jonathan and Graham are good hosts, serving a tasty breakfast and keeping the place well. I got to take the dogs for a walk, so I missed mine less.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Cbay

Reviewed 24 October 2011

My partner and I booked a night here for our anniversary, and were really looking forward to it after a fantastic experience staying at the Eagles Nest B&B near Kelowna. Upon check in, we were immediately uncomfortable. Jonathan did not seem welcoming or happy to see us, and it seemed like a chore for him to show us to our room, and he disappeared immediately after.

Upon seeing the room, we were very disappointed. The sheets were very poor quality, and the bedspread did not match the pillow cases. There was dust everywhere, and the room just gave us the creeps. Nothing matched and it just seemed thrown together and poorly kept.

We tried to find Jonathan to tell him we would not be staying, but he was nowhere to be found, so we simply left, and got ahold of him on the phone later.

The room was supposed to cost $160 per night, and you could not have paid me to stay there. We were very disappointed and spent our anniversary night at home.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank nokaoibeachgirl
CharlesCalgary, Owner at Calgary Westways Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2011

My response to this review is much later then it should have been as the Trip Adviser automatic notification of reviews for my property has not been available.

I do remember that these guests decided not to stay at our property and I was contacted over the phone informing me of their decision not to stay as they were not happy with the room. They didn't at the time specified details and as it was late, I said I was sorry that they were not satisfied and I would not be charging their credit card. I did checked the room and the bedding had been disturbed so the next day we did a full service for the room. The room is my largest one, having a King size bed, gas fireplace and a jetted tub, large en-suite bathroom and balcony. The price of $160.00 per night includes a full breakfast for two guests. As to the dust I cannot make any comments as I have just read the review. Pillow cases are white and matched the white sheets and are same quality as used in the other rooms and I have not received any complaints from other guests. The pillow shams are not of the same design as the duvet cover, we are required to provide them by one of our rating agencies.

Our property is a bed and breakfast operated by myself with some part time help. Yes my days are long that is why we ask for a time of arrival like any other B&Bs operatives so we are able to co-ordinate our lives around the guests requirements. That night I believe they arrived much later in the evening than I expected and I had waited in for them. I showed them to their room detailing the amenities of the house and room like I normally do and asking if they had any questions. I then left the guests and prepared the house for the night and retired to my private quarters in the basement area to go a sleep. That is when I received their call.

I apologize if these guest perceived that I received them in not an overt welcoming manner and I have put in place policies to avert this situation from happening again.

Reviewed 15 August 2011

I have been wanting to stay at this B&B for quite some time.The time finally came and it was worth it.The house itself is quite charming.A lot of the original woodwork and character is still intact.There are several rooms but we had the top floor room overlooking 25th Avenue.Even though it faces 25th,I did not find it noisy at all..It has a balcony,large soaker/bubble tub which is seperated from the king-size bed by a fireplace,lots of closet space, and a very large bathroom.I liked this room a lot.It also had a t.v.,ipod docking radio,and wifi.I did not get a chance to see any of the other rooms but I was told this was the largest room.Also this area is newer as the owners had added on a 3rd floor a while back.Breakfasts were good and served till 0930 on the week-end.There is also a covered hot-tub area but we did not have time to use it on this trip.Parking is at the back of the house.The owners are friendly and helpful.There is also a front patio area with a fountain feature which is a nice touch.It is close(walking distance)to 4th St. which is a great area full of restaurants,gift shops,coffee houses,and groceries.A fine base to explore the Mission area from.Thanks Jonathon and Graham.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank wac36
Reviewed 29 July 2011

We were given a warm welcome by Jonathan, who very helpfully took the time to explain where a selection of local restaurants were, made sure we understood how to use the room facilities and showed us where we could get the complimentary chilled sodas, coffee etc. there is a lovely front garden to relax in, and the rooms are beautifully appointed. The Aberhart room is quite compact, but the rates reflect this and are good value for money.
The position is simply unrivaled for access to stampede park and together with free parking makes it an easy choice to stay here.
breakfasts are nicely cooked canadian fare, and huge - this is ok for a day or two but my wife and I quickly found ourselves asking for something much smaller, fortunately Jonathan is very accommodating of these requests.
The only thing i could not get used to was the one large breakfast table for all guests, I am a docile animal in the mornings and generally do not feel much like chit-chat before i've had a least two cups of coffee - but that's personal preference.
Westways is unquestionably a very good quality b&b and was an absolute pleasure stay at. It's convenient position for the stampede park, restaurants on 4th, and easy walking distance from downtown is the jewel in it's crown.

Room Tip: go for one of the larger rooms if you are staying more than one night.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sometimewanderlust
Reviewed 29 June 2011

This was our first bed and breakfast and absolutely loved it. Jonathon and Graham made us feel at home right away. Enjoyed chatting with the other guests over fabulous breakfasts.
We stayed in the Scollen room and it had a jacuzzi tub, fireplace and a balcony comfortable chairs, big T.V. and a great private bathroom with hairdryer soaps and shampoo. The room was lovely and the king bed oh so comfortable.
We would so stay here again our next visit to Calgary as long as we could get a reservation.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pamelaboonzaayer
Reviewed 26 June 2011

I stayed at Westways for 3 nights and had a good time! Everyone was polite and helpful and Jonathon took time to show me all the features of my room. The attention to detail was impressive - the room even had an iPod docking station and the bathroom had every possible thing you could ever need away from home. This place is also right in the middle of downtown, next to a grocery store and near countless bars and restaurants. I'll stay here again next time I'm in Calgary.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank w999
Reviewed 31 January 2011

We came to the city to take in two plays. Westways bed and breakfast was a wonderful place to stay, close to everything, room was charming with a fireplace and jet tub. Service was wonderful and we met other interesting people at breakfast. Did I say how great the breakfast was!!!! We will go back for sure.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple