“Cannot wait to get back here”

Calgary Westways Guest House
Ranked #1 of 54 Calgary B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Saskatoon, Canada
“Cannot wait to get back here”
Reviewed 19 May 2013

This May Long, I started remembering last May Long... incredible. I drove here from Saskatoon to meet up with some friends from Toronto and other parts of Alberta. My friend from Toronto and I booked a room to ourselves and I was not, in any way, shape or form, disappointed.

I didn't meet the owners, as they were on vacation, but never fear when they're away - they ask friends who know the place almost as well as they do. When you get there, you're offered refreshment straightaway (all I wanted was a glass of water, which was immediate, astringent with lemon and iced... perfect.) The dogs are well-behaved and very sweet, and they don't go off the main floor. Breakfast is served in a dining room that belongs, in miniature, in a stately home in England. I could read the walls all day - if you are a history buff, monarchist, sociologist or plain old curious person, you could spend your whole vacation poring over the sheer amount of awesome stuff in the house.

Know what's a dirt trap? Lots of stuff. Know what isn't dirty? Westways. Gorgeous. Clean.

The rooms are small but fresh-smelling, comfortable, clean, good homestyle amenities (no hotel soap - proper shampoo, body wash, etc.) Lots of hangers. Fast WiFi. No traffic noises. Parking in the back. Sweet deal.

The breakfast! The breakfast! If God Himself had opened the heavens with choirs of thousands of trombones and set a breakfast in front of me, it would have paled in comparison to what they were offering. Jonathan and Graham's friends noted my Celiac disease and gave me an eggs bennie to make me weep with a GF muffin, real ham, freshly-made hollandaise (with GF flour roux base), fruit, yogurt, GF granola, French press coffee, you name it. The china and flatware were older than my family's arrival from Ukraine and worth more than my life insurance would pay out, and it was lovely. Not only that, but some of the funnest people I met that whole stay were from around the breakfast table.

Also, after a hard night of fun out on the town, we talked to the temporary proprietors about getting another room for the night for our friends, and they simply handed them keys, took their names and rang them merrily through the next day. Incredible. Now that's hospitality.

I need to make an excuse to go to Calgary and stay here again.

Room Tip: Aberhardt Room was small but right at the top of the stairs.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank genghisfawn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Edmonton
Reviewed 2 May 2013

This is the second year in a row that my wife and I have stayed at this great B & B. The very close proximity to the Stampede grounds is a huge plus. Last year we stayed in the Rouleauville Room but decided to upgrade this year and stayed in the Mission Room. Staying here last year was great and Jonathon and Graham were fantastic hosts. Coming back this year definitely sealed the deal for my wife and I for whenever we're staying in Calgary. The Mission room was roomy and clean and there's nothing like sleeping in a king size bed. A very nice touch were the two bathrobes hanging in the closet.

Westways is a older house with lots of character and a lot of charm. The walls have numerous paintings but what really stands out are the historic actual newspaper articles that one could read detailing such significant events such as the end of WWI. Breakfast is served on fine china and orange juice poured from a crystal decanter. Try getting that from a chain hotel.

The daily breakfasts were delicious, free Wi-Fi a great perk and the free parking fantastic, albeit a snug fit when trying to park when 3 other vehicles are parked in the 4 stalls at the back of the house. A Safeway, drugstore and many retail shops are a short 2-3 block walk away.

The B&B is currently going through some renovations. It's great to see that Jonathon and Graham continue to make one of what I consider one of the best places to stay in Calgary even better. We've already got the same room booked for next year.

Room Tip: Can't go wrong with the Rouleauville room located on the 2nd floor which faces the street but th...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Trifus
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 2 May 2013

The house is old, but very charming. Carpets on the floor, and dogs in the house, so watch out if you have allergies.
Location is good, easy to get around (i was by car).
I stayed for two nights in a lovely room on the second floor, with a private bath! Graham served delicious blueberry walnut pancakes for breakfast. No hotel can beat having home made food, served on fine china and crystal.
There was some construction going on in the house.
Overall good stay.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank SionaJ
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 15 April 2013

A beautiful historic house close to downtown Calgary. I've stayed in quite a few B&B's but I must say this takes the cake. Very personable service and the food is to die for. My husband and I had a catered dinner for our anniversary and it was spectacular. I would highly reccomend this place and I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 March 2013

We stayed at this B&B for the first time and were delighted by the tasteful and elegant decor and the very comfortable bed. We had a large room well appointed third floor room with a fireplace, and a balcony overlooking the street. There were crystal wine glasses provided in the cupboard outside our room. A fridge was also available. The breakfast started with fruit and cereals and then a second course (poached eggs one morning, quiche and smoked salmon the next). Service was outstanding and friendly. It was a nice walk through an historic residential area to get to the downtown. We have found our new favourite place to stay in Calgary!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed 24 February 2013

I was invited to speak at the University of Calgary and screen my film with FairyTales festival. They put me up here. I am usually not a big fan of B & B's because they really do not have much privacy and no gym. BUT this was so awesome. It this really cute old house. I felt like I was at my grandma's house. Really quite. Which was great fro me after a long day of speaking.
It is a gay B & B just so you know. Great guys who run it.
Canadians are super sweet people anyway so I expected that.
One morning I woke up to late for breakfast but they made me some fruit and yogurt anyway:)
So I highly recommend this place if you like B & B's
Also my room had its own bathroom which is a BIG plus.

Room Tip: I stayed in the back room on the second floor.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank BuckAngel
alberta
Reviewed 23 January 2013

By all means go to a hotel if you want that canned experience but Jonathan provides a far better experience. The house is perfectly located, well kept and the hollandaise sauce for the eggs bennie was the best. Oh, bed was the best;lots of hot water blah, blah, blah.... Just go visit. I grew up in an 1870 Victorian house and this is just a little newer..... wish I had the time to relax in the parlour. And great value compared to hotels... Loved it.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business