“Horrendous housekeeping” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Comfort Inn & Suites University

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Comfort Inn & Suites University
Ranked #85 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Vancouver, Canada
“Horrendous housekeeping”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

I stayed in the Comfort Inn for a week in February 2014. The housekeeping was absolutely the worst I have ever experienced in any hotel I have ever stayed in, including hotels in developing countries.

My bathroom was simply not cleaned at all for the entire week. I don't mean that it was poorly cleaned. I mean that it was not cleaned AT ALL, not a single swipe of a cloth on any surface. There were hairs in the sheets and towels. My towels were taken and not replaced, so I had to hunt down the housekeeping cart and take some for myself.

The only service provided was that my bed was made most days.

One day I came back to the room to find that the housekeeping staff had taken my bottle of champagne out of the fridge and left it on the counter. I don't know if they drank it, since I hadn't paid attention to how much I had left in the bottle. So weird.

Do yourself a favour and avoid this hotel!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank HappyCamper96
Saddiq K, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites University, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
First of all I must apologize for the issue with the housekeeping. We have more than adequate staff to take care of the daily housekeeping and on top of that we have a room checker as well as an executive housekeeper. The only way a room is left untouched if the guest puts a Do Not Disturb Card on the door. It may have been possible that when they came to service the room of this guest, there was a DND on the room. Nonetheless, we have staff available 24/7/365 at the front desk to take care of such small issues and if this was raised during their stay it would have been addressed accordingly and every effort would have been made by the staff and management to make their stay comfortable and enjoyable.

I am sorry for the frustration this guest felt but can assure you this is not at all the kind of standard our hotel provides.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Korean first
Ottawa, Ontario
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

I was in Calgary for a week in June 2013. I spent one night here then checked out and moved to the Comfort Inn near the airport. What a difference! University location is below any reasonable housekeeping standards. The hallways and rooms have dirty, stained and smelly carpets. The room had hair all over the bathroom floor. The white sheets on both beds were an off white approaching yellow. I thought perhaps it may have improved in the past year so I reserved for this week. The only noticable changes since last year is that it is now worse. Again, I checked out after one night and moved again to the Comfort Inn airport location. It's like day and night.
Note how the general manager pastes the same reply after every review. He has obviously never visited his hotel. A must avoid hotel.

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank CarmenfromOttawa
Saddiq K, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites University, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to complete our online survey regarding your recent stay at Comfort Inn & Suites University.

Allow me to apologize on behalf of our hotel for failing to meet your expectations regarding the bedding on your recent visit. I have shared your feedback with our hosekeeping manager to ensure we handle these types of situations differently in the future. We are implementing a new bedding program approved by Choice Hotels franchise and pretty soon all Choise Hotels will be changing to that new triple sheeting bedding program, which I am sure you will definately love.

Again, thank you for your time and valuable feedback. We sincerely appreciate it and hope you will give us another chance to provide you with superior service and accommodations on your next visit to Calgary.
Edmonton
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights in March. This hotel is very run down and is nowhere near worth the $160-$180/night that they charge.

Our room was smelly, the quilts stained, there were pubes on the top of the toilet lid (!!!???) and when the sheets had pulled up, we saw the filthy mattress underneath.

Our coffee pot didn't work, toilets didn't flush properly, and there is an unfinished area near the front desk.

The location may be good, but there were other hotels nearby that we will most definitely stay at when we come back.

When we complained about the high rate on check out, the front desk staff looked disinterested and did not offer any kind of a discount.

If we paid $50 a night I would have been OK with the room because you generally get what you pay for. But in this case we definitely got ripped off.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank calagirl
Saddiq K, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites University, responded to this review, 6 March 2014

We are undergoing renovations and I hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we can have another chance to provide you with a superior experience. All the renovations on the guest floors have been completed and all the rooms are now equipped with flat screen LED TVs with digital boxes, brand new carpets and a fresh new design and look.

Our breakfast is a full hot buffet breakfast which includes, scrambled eggs, boiled eggs, sausages, muffins, waffles, cereals, tea, coffee, juices, oatmeal, etc. Our breakfast in fact is quite popular as it is not just coffee and toast as offered by other hotels. In addition to the above, we have a 2 story high water slide with an indoor heated water park and a Jacuzzi.

I do hope you will give us another opportunity to serve your hospitality needs and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back to our hotel.
St. Albert, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

When we called to book our room, we requested a fridge and a microwave. We were told that may or may not happen, but they would see what the could to accommodate us. We arrived and checked in and were told all those standard rooms with microwaves were full, but we could upgrade to a suite for only and additional $30/night so we could have a microwave. Decided not worry about it.

When we arrived at our room, we found neither our heater or thermostat were working in our room - hard to fall asleep when you are chattering. When we went downstairs to find a maintenance person to help us out, was told the front desk clerk was the only person on staff and no one else could help us - the manager was in Toronto, and the maintenance person was done for the day. She offered to switch our rooms - by this time I had two 12-year old boys trying to sleep for the next day, so my initial response was no; however, as the temperature was to dip to -35, I choose heat and a late night sleep. I fail to understand how a hotel that is "sold out" has only one staff person on shift. How much should you expect when you are playing close to $200/night?

What a gong show - should at minimum heaters be checked? BTW, we moved all our stuff to our new room, we found a microwave....

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Michelle W

Your reservation was made under a group reservation for a standard room. All standard rooms are equipped with flat screen LCD TVs, digital boxes, coffee makers and mini refrigeators. Only the suites have microwaves in them in addition to the other equipment. Upon arrival she complained that the heat in the room was not working. When the management checked the room, the heat was working fine only the temp had to be turned up. Nonetheless, the guest was offered an upgrade to the suite which was not accpetable to the guest. Finally the guest was moved to the executive floor at no additional charge which did have a microwave.

Not only that, after check out the managment as a gesture of goodwill posted a refund for the guest in order to satisfy her.

We are proud of our facilities at our hotel which featurs a full hot buffet breakfast which includes, scrambled eggs, boiled eggs, sausages, muffins, waffles, cereals, tea, coffee, juices, oatmeal, etc. Our breakfast in fact is quite popular as it is not just coffee and toast as offered by other hotels. In addition to the above, we have a 2 story high water slide with an indoor heated water park and a Jacuzzi.

Saskatchewan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

Although there were many inconveniences due to renovations, we are glad that they are continually improving the hotel. Staff are immediately responsive to needs, and are personable across the board. Stayed 5 nights, 5 excellent breakfasts. They simply bend over backwards to make sure your experience is satisfying.
They recognized my diamond elite status, and gave me a good upgrade.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank Brian H
Saddiq K, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites University, responded to this review, 5 February 2014

We very much appreciate and value your feedback and will share it with our team. Your survey responses will serve as encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services to provide an exceptional experience for our guests. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. Our renovations are in the final phase with new carpets, tiles and decor, the hotel will look absolutely stunning and can be comparred to any 5 star hotel in the city. You must come again and check out our new updated stunning look!!

Alberta, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

Stayed here for three nights while on business in Calgary. While it is located away from the downtown core and there are no walkable restaurants nearby (atleast none the hotel staff will recommend), everything is accessible if you have a car.
The staff are friendly and personal. The breakfast is one of the best continentals I've had from this chain. The hotel was undergoing major renovations when I stayed, but that aside, this hotel is fine. Although others complain about cleanliness, I've had no issues.

Room Tip: Second Floor or higher.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank TaraDVancouv
Saddiq K, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites University, responded to this review, 31 January 2014

Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

I recently stayed at the Comfort Inn and Suites and found the place to be very clean - upgrades were evidently happening as I could smell fresh paint. The room was very nice and very clean with lots of towels and toiletries. As I was staying by myself while my husband was in the Foothills Hospital, I was concerned about picking a safe location. I drove around Motel Village and saw children swimming in the indoor pool at the Comfort Inn and I correctly assumed if it is safe for children it is safe for me. The staff was very friendly, the breakfast was excellent and location was very quiet.

Room Tip: I was in a suite rather than a single room. Had a king sized bed along with a sitting area separate...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Eileen C
Saddiq K, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites University, responded to this review, 6 January 2014