“Good for the price”

Ranked #86 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Edmonton, Canada
“Good for the price”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Staid 1 night with my family on our visit to Calgary. Not bad hotel, average for this price range. They have swimming pool with a slide and it's open till late. The breakfast is good, no complaints. The room was new, probably after renovation, but could be more clean. Dust everywhere. Curtain in the shower was dirty with something brown / black. As you can see from many reviews here, the cleanliness is not their best side. I had a discount from my employee, so the room was priced right for me. 2$ charge for the safe is ridiculous. Yes it's only 2$, but why should I pay for something I don't use? If you really think that we should pay for the safe, why don't you include the price in the total price people see when the make the order?

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Saddiq K, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites University, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Thank you for taking out time and commenting about your stay at our hotel. It was indeed a pleasure to serve you during your brief stay at our hotel. I am glad that you liked our services and facilities. We have recently undergone major renovations including putting brand new tiles in the entire hotel, new carpets, vinals and wall papers. Also a couple of weeks back we have introduced brand new bedding at our hotel which is second to none in the industry which also offeres differet types of pillows for different people who would like either a soft or a firm pillow.

You mentioned about the safe charges. We have digital safes in the rooms which carry a $5,000 warranty (as a result of forced entry). The chare is for the insurance of the same. At the time of check-in if you had mentioned that you did not need a safe or that you will not be using a safe, we would have gladly cancelled it. This is an added service we are offering to our customers and has been appreciated by so many customers who rather put their valuables e.g. passports, credit cards, cash, phones, laptops, etc. in safe than in their bags. Nonetheless, I encourge you to contact me direclty on the hotel phone, and I will gladly refund the safe charges back to you.

Once again thank you for your patronage and my staff and I look forward to welcoming you back at our hotel in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Korean first
Castlegar, Canada
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We arrived at the hotel and when we got to our room it smelled really bad inside. Then we went in the bathroom and it was filthy, the tub wasn’t even wiped down. I went right down to the front desk to complain and she said there was nothing she could do until the manager gets back. We told her we can’t stay there so we had to go to another hotel.
Once we got to speak to the manager, I’ve never been treated so poorly before. He was very rude to us and didn’t believe us that the room was dirty. The front desk clerk made notes saying the room was dirty and even went to the room to see for herself. He said there was nothing he could do and wouldn’t refund our money for the night we didn’t even get to stay in. When we tried to reason with him he started swearing at us and said he would phone the cops. DO NOT STAY HERE YOU WILL REGRET IT AND LOSE YOUR MONEY. NO REFUNDS! Currently taking comfort inn to small claims court.

Room Tip: This hotel needs to be condemned!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jason P
Saddiq K, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites University, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
This couple came in the evening and were checked into a clean fresh room. After checking in they wanted to leave as some of their friends were staying in a hotel next to our hotel.

Our front desk agent went to their room to see if everything was alright or that they would need any service. To her amazement the room was neat and tidy. Nonetheless the guests were offered a complimentary upgrade to the suite at the same price, but they wanted to stay with their friends at another hotel. One of their friends also came to pick them up.

The following morning they came to demand the money back for the previous night. We explained to them that since they checked out and cancelled the room at the last moment, we would not be able to offer them a refund. Upon hearing that they starting swearing in front of other guests and customers and created a scene. It was appalling to see a lady use such offensive foul language. We immediately requested them to leave stating as we have zero tolerance against offensive and abusive language in front of our guests.
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 27 April 2014

When I come to the city of Calgary on business, this location is where I stay. I travel extensively for work, and stay in many hotels in various cities. I must say, Saddiq the GM and his staff are a pleasure to deal with. It is not the hotel itself that makes the experience enjoyable, rather than the great people they have working within it.

Keep up the great work Saddiq,

Matt Tyo

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Saddiq K, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites University, responded to this review, 29 April 2014

Regina, Canada
Reviewed 24 April 2014

We found the newly renovated rooms nicely appointed and the bedding brand new. The staff were most accommodating. The hotel is easily accessible. We hope to stop again on our way through. Parking is great.

Room Tip: Ask for the newly furnished rooms
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We stayed there overnight and the manager and staff were extremely helpful and made several exceptions for us - they gave us a room upgrade and a late check out at no charge due to our work circumstances.
The hotel was very clean and in a great location.
Thank you so much for your hospitality and generous support.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Saddiq K, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites University, responded to this review, 16 April 2014

We very much appreciate and value your feedback and will share it with our team. Your survey responses will serve as encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services to provide an exceptional experience for our guests. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. Our renovations are in the final phase with new carpets, tiles and decor, the hotel will look absolutely stunning and can be comparred to any 5 star hotel in the city. You must come again and check out our new updated stunning look!!

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Renovations are improving the overall appearance of the rooms and hallways. More modern televisions are in the rooms now. Housekeeping still needs some improvement but much better than last year. Every complaint brought to management was dealt with immediately and the service is definitely better than last year. I use the hotel for business purpose because of proximity to LTR and convenience to office when I am in town. Sam takes a lot of pride in the improvements made over the last 4 months and treats me very well every time i come to town. Their breakfast is much better than a lot of hotels i have been to when travelling for work. Only major complaint is that wireless is sometimes slower than desired in the evenings.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Tobydad
Saddiq K, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites University, responded to this review, 3 April 2014

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I stayed in the Comfort Inn for a week in February 2014. The housekeeping was absolutely the worst I have ever experienced in any hotel I have ever stayed in, including hotels in developing countries.

My bathroom was simply not cleaned at all for the entire week. I don't mean that it was poorly cleaned. I mean that it was not cleaned AT ALL, not a single swipe of a cloth on any surface. There were hairs in the sheets and towels. My towels were taken and not replaced, so I had to hunt down the housekeeping cart and take some for myself.

The only service provided was that my bed was made most days.

One day I came back to the room to find that the housekeeping staff had taken my bottle of champagne out of the fridge and left it on the counter. I don't know if they drank it, since I hadn't paid attention to how much I had left in the bottle. So weird.

Do yourself a favour and avoid this hotel!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank HappyCamper96
Saddiq K, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites University, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
First of all I must apologize for the issue with the housekeeping. We have more than adequate staff to take care of the daily housekeeping and on top of that we have a room checker as well as an executive housekeeper. The only way a room is left untouched if the guest puts a Do Not Disturb Card on the door. It may have been possible that when they came to service the room of this guest, there was a DND on the room. Nonetheless, we have staff available 24/7/365 at the front desk to take care of such small issues and if this was raised during their stay it would have been addressed accordingly and every effort would have been made by the staff and management to make their stay comfortable and enjoyable.

I am sorry for the frustration this guest felt but can assure you this is not at all the kind of standard our hotel provides.