“If you like 80's motels you'll love this one....”

Comfort Inn & Suites South
Ranked #78 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 21 June 2013

The motel is dated badly but does have some bonuses. The bathrooms are badly dated and need to be upgraded and the ac is a 'loud' window fixture. The towels are worn out and the pillows are small and square. The area is fairly desperate but there is a pool with a large 'kids' slide and small exercise room.

Room Tip: Higher floors to avoid traffic sounds.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Arakis12000
There are newer reviews for Comfort Inn & Suites South

Reviewed 17 June 2013

This is over-priced and very poor. The air-conditioning did not work. The couch looked sticky , and was torn and covered in cigarette burns. The towels were all ragged and worn out. The gym was unbelievably small and ill-equipped. And the best of all, I ate breakfast out of a cardboard bowl and plate, and with plastic cutlery.

Easily the worst hotel I have stayed in for a long time, including some pretty average oil field locations

Room Tip: Away from the highway.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank The_Aussies_Travel
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Clean and updated rooms. Good breakfast. Close to Downtown. Best rate with discounts for seniors and others.

But why a $2 safe charge mandatory added to bill. Just increase the rate by $2

I would stay again if I had meeting close by. Enmax head office is close by

Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank 384JohnC
Reviewed 23 May 2013

The hotel is clean and the front desk staff are very helpful and make the checking in process very quick and painless. The rooms were very clean and the beds are comfortable. It was nice to have a smoking room and there was no overwhelming smoke smell when getting into the room.

The parking can be an issue on busy weekends with the main parking in back of the hotel.

My overall opinion of this hotel is that it is good for the price.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Kevin L
hotel385, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites South, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2013

Hi KevinL thank you for staying with us we appreciate you choosing Comfort Inn & Suites - South for your lodging needs when in Calgary. We look forward to you staying with us the next time you are in Calgary.

Reviewed 20 May 2013

I came to this hotel looking for a room and met the most ignorant, prejudiced and unprofessional staff at the front desk. It was my honeymoon and i wanted to spend some time with my wife there. Not only was I not allowed to see the room I wanted to pay for, but I was verbally insulted by the staff and he refused to check us into any available rooms. In all my travels I have never met with such rudeness from hotel staff....I decided to check into the Best Western Hotel Downtown...Much better hotel with very professional staff that have impeccable manners.

You cant pay me to stay at this crappy excuse of a hotel!!!!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ikee_21

I am so sorry to hear that your check-in experience at our hotel was not a pleasant. All guests at check-in are asked for a credit card and picture identification which was not provided by yourself at check-in and therefore we were unable to check you in. This is done for the protection of our guests which I am sure you understand. Please do contact me and I would be more than happy to discuss this matter and incident in more detail with you.

Reviewed 15 May 2013

I usually stay at Best Westerns, however decided to try a Comfort Inn again, which I had not used for the past 10 years. Choice Hotels just does not measure up to the same standards as Best Western. No wow. Coffee maker was disgustingly filthy and I brought it to the front desk. The clerk handled my complaint correctly which I appreciated. This is a smoking hotel which totally disgusts me. My original room was scheduled on the same floor as smoking rooms. I demanded to be put on a non smoking floor which he did.

Room Tip: If you're a non smoker, insist on being on the non smoking floor.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank chimo5
hotel385, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites South, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2013

Thank you for choosing Comfort Inn & Suites whitel you were here in Calgary. We are in the process of renovating our guest rooms which we would like for you to come back and visit. Whilst renovating we will be removing the limited number of smoking rooms, making all floors non-smoking. Please do come back and stay with us in the near future and see the changes that have been made for you stay.

Reviewed 8 May 2013

Stayed here 3 nights recently. Found that no place in Calgary is cheap to stay but Comfort Inn was certainly reasonably priced by Calgary standards. Check in with a very pleasant lady was smooth and check-out was too. We had a room on the 4th floor facing the parking lot. Was very quiet. Beds were quite comfortable. The rooms were a little dated but very clean. The breakfast was standard - waffles, yogurt, toast, cereal, eggs, sausage and of course, coffee. You do need a car there as no restaurants (except Hooters) are within walking distance. Just 5 or 10 minutes away, you come to many restaurants. Chinook Mall is less than 5 minutes away by car. Lots of shopping there, a couple of restaurants and a big food court. If you want to take the C train downtown, it's less than a 5 minute ride and free parking at the station. All in all, a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Had a room at the back of hotel in the corner. Quiet room!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank gailirene
hotel385, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites South, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2013

Dear Gailerene,

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay wtih us, we are in the process of renovating our guest rooms and on your next visit to our hotel you will be able to see our updated guest rooms. We look forward in having you stay with us again on your next trip to Calgary.