“Unimpressive”

Comfort Inn & Suites South
Ranked #78 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Pros: Room was fairly clean, curtains closed all the way to block out light, the pool and slide looked pretty cool, wifi was free

Cons: Wifi was terrible. The connection dropped all the time, which made it really hard to work from the hotel. The hallways were dirty and not well maintained. Wallpaper was peeling off the walls.
They had a tag in the bathroom that asked us to hang our towels to be environmentally friendly. I hung up my towel everyday and they took my towel anyway 3/4 days at the hotel, and replaced my towel 2/4 days.
The breakfast was ok. Decent selection. The waffles were pretty good, but the scrambled eggs were disgusting. The orange juice was not great.
The neighborhood was not that great. Go down the road a bit and there's a much nicer area, but the area around the hotel, not so nice.
The workout room was more like a workout closet.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
hotel385, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites South, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Dear Natalie,
Thank you for staying with us. I am so sorry to hear that there were some parts of your stay that were not so enjoyable. We do provide a free wifi connection throughout the hotel and if you were having any dificulties staying connected we do provide a 24 hour technical support number which was located in the guest room directory, tent cards and also provided at time of check in,

We are in the last phase of completing our hallway renovations therefore you may have experienced some dust and wallpaper removed this is simply the stage of us preparing for the new wallpaper to be hung.

We have discussed your comments about the towels and has been addressed with the housekeeper cleaning your room.

I would like to apologize for any inconveniences caused during your stay with us and look forward in welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

We were traveling for business and stayed at the Comfort Inn & Suites. I stayed for 5 days and the place was horrible. Upon walking in, you see two random mirrors set again the check in area with a price tag on them and a random piece of drywall laying with the mirrors. My spouse tried to call me at the hotel and the front desk never transferred the call to my room successfully. It took 4 calls and my spouse never got a hold of me. The community around the hotel was run down just like the hotel itself. The last day I was there the shower was completely cold. Breakfast was terrible and co-workers stopped eating the breakfast after the 1st day. The internet was horribly slow and kept disconnecting and reconnecting. Hallways were dirty, like gobs of mud and dirt on the carpets.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Dear Lisa,

I am so sorry to hear that you felt your lodging experience was not a pleasant one after staying with us for 5 nights.

The complimentary breakfast that is provided is a standard breakfast provided by all Comfort Inn and not only does our breakfast meet the standard it exceeds it with more optional items.

There are signs posted in the lobby and elevator stating that we are completing renovations on one of our floors. The drywall and and dusty hallway was due to us preparing to replace the wallpaper in the hallway.

We do provide a complimentary internet connection with 24 hour technical support that would be able to assist you in anyway with your technical issues.

Please contact me directly as I would like to discuss your stay in more detail.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

Hotel is very accessible from major freeways, has ample parking, and is located close to Chinook Centre Mall. Many fast food restaurants in the vicinity with more up market restaurants a short drive away. The rooms are average, beds are comfortable but pillows are small and square. Pool with water slides is very popular, especially with families. The breakfast is very good with lots of choices, Staff at reception is helpful and very friendly. A real plus is the number of electrical outlets, more than enough to plug in cameras, cell phones, iPads and all those things that need charging every night. Our only problem was with the air conditioner which was very loud and cut in and out constantly.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 December 2013

This place is a short drive from downtown Calgary and is very close to Chinook Centre Mall. The rooms were clean and spacious. Breakfast is included and was good - my kids would have loved the waffle maker had they been with me. Parking is free too. I didn't use the indoor pool but it looked nice.

I'd stay there again if my ususal hotel closer to downtown is unavailable.

There is a great Vietnamese restaurant next door that serves execellent phở, called Pho Chu The.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the parking lot rather than busy McLeod Trail.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

Nice little place. Stayed here for one night and it was easy check-in with a extremely professional, friendly receptionist (Nicole). Rooms clean and spacious. Nice and quiet. Signs stated they were doing renos but didn't see any evidence/noise because of it. Only complaint is heater in room gave LOUD bang when turning on. Besides that great location and would for sure stay again. Oh and I'm a smoker and they have smoking rooms which are hard to find so a big plus for that :)

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jennifer C
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Booked a room online paid in advance. Drove 4 hours from out of town to see a hockey game. We had tried to check in 30 min before game . While checking in I realized I didn't have my credit card only Visa debit/Cash. They would not accept a cash deposit or Visa debit and denied our Check in. The online booking agent called the front desk and tried to reason with clerk. When asked to speak with a manager we they were told "He is out of town". They refused my refund and refused my check in !!! Beware when booking here online!! Totally unreasonable staff and extremely rude. Ended up booking at a hotel down the street who was able to check us in and even get us a cab before game time!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank R K
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Arrived around 10pm to be told they only had smoking rooms as that was what my travel agent had booked. Highly unlikely as it was a business trip and travel agent has my non smoking preference listed. Too late to change hotels due to early meeting in morning at plant nearby. I stayed. Big mistake! Halls were like a construction site with old beds and furniture stacked up, room stank of stale tobacco, Not even an attempt to deodorise the place. rooms grubby and carpets filthy, dust around edges showed place had never been cleaned fully. Noisy aircon with no vent fan option. Bathroom doors had large dents inside and out. All in all a very unpleasant place to stay. We have a lot of work going on nearby over the fall and winter but our teams will NOT be staying here!

Room Tip: Go elsewhere!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business