“Good value for money, decent breakfast and a pool”

Comfort Inn & Suites South
Ranked #78 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 24 May 2014

The name of the hotel may indicate just another average hotel/motel, but I was pleasantly surprised. I booked a suite online as the price was not all that much higher than an ordinary room. Good bed, OK bathtub with shower, in-room safe and fridge (that froze my bottles solid-check the setting of the termostat).
But what made it stand out is the decent hot breakfast, included in the price, and a pool, complete with hot thub and a BIG slide.

The location is 6 km south of city center, but it only took me 15 minutes to drive downtown, even at rush hour. To me it was good value for money

Room Tip: Suites are good value for money compared to ordinary rooms (at least when booked online)
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
hotel385, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites South, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

We appreciate your positive feedback on your recent stay with us. Our suites are usually not that much more than our standard rooms. With which you have separation from the living area and the bedroom.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the pool and our hot breakfast in the mornings, we would like to welcome you back to our hotel the next time you are in Calgary.

Thank you for letting us know about the fridge we will have it check.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

I booked my hotel online and when I got to the hotel the staff was very unwelcoming and stated several times that "I booked online". I would NEVER stay here again, wasn't a nice hotel, they charged me extra for having a standard two queen room, and the staff was absolutely horrible!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank AlbertaGirl90
hotel385, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites South, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Dear AlbertaGirl90

Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us. Your reservation was made through a third party website and was booked as a king bed. Upon your arrival you had requested a room with two queen beds and there was a rate difference between to the two room types. I hope this clarifies the matter at hand and we would like to welcome you back to our hotel when you are next in Calgary. Please contact me directly and I will make sure you accommodation needs are met.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

I had read reviews of this hotel, both good and not so good, and was wary even though I booked because it had the best location for our needs. Now, I guess if I'm going to be fair I have to say our stay was excellent and not just in relation to what I expected. We stayed for 2 nights.The room was clean, had a fantastic bed and even though it was on the second floor on the MacLeod Trail side it was really quiet. The staff at the front desk were nice to deal with and helped us out with anything we needed including directions. One other reviewer noted its proximity to the Chinook Mall. That turned out to be an added benefit; what terrific shopping. My wife and I are planning on returning to Calgary, staying at the Comfort Inn just to have a shopping trip (We live in Northern Alberta and there is nothing near to us that compares.) Our grand-daughter loved the pool and waterslide and both were extremely clean and appeared well maintained. I have one very, very minor quibble, and that is that the scrambled eggs in the free breakfast weren't my favorite. That is the only issue I had and c'mon, it's a free full breakfast, so that's not a big deal. I am very happy and will stay again! I've paid a lot more and gotten a lot less :-)

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
hotel385, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites South, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

I would like to thank you for taking the time and posting a great review about the hotel. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us here and we look forward in welcoming you again when you next come to Calgary!

Reviewed 26 January 2014

Pros: Room was fairly clean, curtains closed all the way to block out light, the pool and slide looked pretty cool, wifi was free

Cons: Wifi was terrible. The connection dropped all the time, which made it really hard to work from the hotel. The hallways were dirty and not well maintained. Wallpaper was peeling off the walls.
They had a tag in the bathroom that asked us to hang our towels to be environmentally friendly. I hung up my towel everyday and they took my towel anyway 3/4 days at the hotel, and replaced my towel 2/4 days.
The breakfast was ok. Decent selection. The waffles were pretty good, but the scrambled eggs were disgusting. The orange juice was not great.
The neighborhood was not that great. Go down the road a bit and there's a much nicer area, but the area around the hotel, not so nice.
The workout room was more like a workout closet.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
hotel385, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites South, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Dear Natalie,
Thank you for staying with us. I am so sorry to hear that there were some parts of your stay that were not so enjoyable. We do provide a free wifi connection throughout the hotel and if you were having any dificulties staying connected we do provide a 24 hour technical support number which was located in the guest room directory, tent cards and also provided at time of check in,

We are in the last phase of completing our hallway renovations therefore you may have experienced some dust and wallpaper removed this is simply the stage of us preparing for the new wallpaper to be hung.

We have discussed your comments about the towels and has been addressed with the housekeeper cleaning your room.

I would like to apologize for any inconveniences caused during your stay with us and look forward in welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

We were traveling for business and stayed at the Comfort Inn & Suites. I stayed for 5 days and the place was horrible. Upon walking in, you see two random mirrors set again the check in area with a price tag on them and a random piece of drywall laying with the mirrors. My spouse tried to call me at the hotel and the front desk never transferred the call to my room successfully. It took 4 calls and my spouse never got a hold of me. The community around the hotel was run down just like the hotel itself. The last day I was there the shower was completely cold. Breakfast was terrible and co-workers stopped eating the breakfast after the 1st day. The internet was horribly slow and kept disconnecting and reconnecting. Hallways were dirty, like gobs of mud and dirt on the carpets.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Dear Lisa,

I am so sorry to hear that you felt your lodging experience was not a pleasant one after staying with us for 5 nights.

The complimentary breakfast that is provided is a standard breakfast provided by all Comfort Inn and not only does our breakfast meet the standard it exceeds it with more optional items.

There are signs posted in the lobby and elevator stating that we are completing renovations on one of our floors. The drywall and and dusty hallway was due to us preparing to replace the wallpaper in the hallway.

We do provide a complimentary internet connection with 24 hour technical support that would be able to assist you in anyway with your technical issues.

Please contact me directly as I would like to discuss your stay in more detail.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

Hotel is very accessible from major freeways, has ample parking, and is located close to Chinook Centre Mall. Many fast food restaurants in the vicinity with more up market restaurants a short drive away. The rooms are average, beds are comfortable but pillows are small and square. Pool with water slides is very popular, especially with families. The breakfast is very good with lots of choices, Staff at reception is helpful and very friendly. A real plus is the number of electrical outlets, more than enough to plug in cameras, cell phones, iPads and all those things that need charging every night. Our only problem was with the air conditioner which was very loud and cut in and out constantly.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 December 2013

This place is a short drive from downtown Calgary and is very close to Chinook Centre Mall. The rooms were clean and spacious. Breakfast is included and was good - my kids would have loved the waffle maker had they been with me. Parking is free too. I didn't use the indoor pool but it looked nice.

I'd stay there again if my ususal hotel closer to downtown is unavailable.

There is a great Vietnamese restaurant next door that serves execellent phở, called Pho Chu The.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the parking lot rather than busy McLeod Trail.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business