“Busy Street, Mixed feelings about location”

Comfort Inn & Suites South
Ranked #78 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We had reserved this hotel several months ago, but changed rooms from a suite to a two queen bedroom unit in the back to keep away from the busy MacLeod Trail highway out front, good thing we did. Yes, it's close to the Chinook Mall and to the C-Train station, but not the best location. Our kudos to front desk person Nicole, great to visit with and she gave us good advice, thanks. I did expect better breakfast food.

Room Tip: Like I said, suites on the front with a busy highway, doubles in the back and mush quieter.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
hotel385, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites South, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Thank you for staying with us, I appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your stay we are located close to the downtown core and Calgary's largest shopping center making it a great place to stay whether you are here for business or leisure. I would like to also thank you for commending our front desk staff for helping you during your stay!

Reviewed 29 June 2014

From when we arrived (June 6, 2014) and until we departed (June 10th, 2014) all the staff at this hotel were always courteous, pleasant, friendly and very helpful. Most of my interaction was with the front desk staff, in particular Cindy and Nicole, both of whom provided assistance readily and I was grateful for their assistance.

Room service was the fastest I have ever seen of all the hotels I have ever stayed. If we were short of towels, they were delivered as promised without me having to chase them down. The TV remote control was replaced immediately when it was determined that the problem was not the batteries. It is how the little things that are dealt with which form my opinion of a hotel.

The complimentary breakfast was not the biggest ever, but they had a selection to choose from, which included: waffles, juice, sausages, scrambled eggs, toast, hot and cold cereals, yogurt and boiled eggs in the fridge.

The Wi-Fi was good!

The most pleasant surprise was that they had coin operated guest laundry in the basement. If you needed to do some laundry the detergent and fabric softener were available from the vending machines on the main floor.

All in all, this was an exceptional experience and when I return to Calgary this will be the place I will stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
hotel385, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites South, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Dear Guest

We really appreciate the great comments about our hotel and happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Our staff is here to anticipate your needs and make sure that we provide the best service possible during your stay.

We look forward in having you come back and stay with us the next time you are in Calgary!

Reviewed 5 June 2014

This hotel meets all the requirements. Clean, comfortable rooms. Close to Stampede grounds and downtown. Easy access to shopping and restaurants. Hot breakfast was very good. Staff was friendly and helpful. A very good place to stay. Will stay here next time.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
hotel385, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites South, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2014

We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us here at Comfort Inn & Suites - South! We will look forward in welcoming you back when you are in Calgary. We appreciate your great review.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

The name of the hotel may indicate just another average hotel/motel, but I was pleasantly surprised. I booked a suite online as the price was not all that much higher than an ordinary room. Good bed, OK bathtub with shower, in-room safe and fridge (that froze my bottles solid-check the setting of the termostat).
But what made it stand out is the decent hot breakfast, included in the price, and a pool, complete with hot thub and a BIG slide.

The location is 6 km south of city center, but it only took me 15 minutes to drive downtown, even at rush hour. To me it was good value for money

Room Tip: Suites are good value for money compared to ordinary rooms (at least when booked online)
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
hotel385, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites South, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

We appreciate your positive feedback on your recent stay with us. Our suites are usually not that much more than our standard rooms. With which you have separation from the living area and the bedroom.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the pool and our hot breakfast in the mornings, we would like to welcome you back to our hotel the next time you are in Calgary.

Thank you for letting us know about the fridge we will have it check.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

I booked my hotel online and when I got to the hotel the staff was very unwelcoming and stated several times that "I booked online". I would NEVER stay here again, wasn't a nice hotel, they charged me extra for having a standard two queen room, and the staff was absolutely horrible!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank AlbertaGirl90
hotel385, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites South, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Dear AlbertaGirl90

Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us. Your reservation was made through a third party website and was booked as a king bed. Upon your arrival you had requested a room with two queen beds and there was a rate difference between to the two room types. I hope this clarifies the matter at hand and we would like to welcome you back to our hotel when you are next in Calgary. Please contact me directly and I will make sure you accommodation needs are met.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

I had read reviews of this hotel, both good and not so good, and was wary even though I booked because it had the best location for our needs. Now, I guess if I'm going to be fair I have to say our stay was excellent and not just in relation to what I expected. We stayed for 2 nights.The room was clean, had a fantastic bed and even though it was on the second floor on the MacLeod Trail side it was really quiet. The staff at the front desk were nice to deal with and helped us out with anything we needed including directions. One other reviewer noted its proximity to the Chinook Mall. That turned out to be an added benefit; what terrific shopping. My wife and I are planning on returning to Calgary, staying at the Comfort Inn just to have a shopping trip (We live in Northern Alberta and there is nothing near to us that compares.) Our grand-daughter loved the pool and waterslide and both were extremely clean and appeared well maintained. I have one very, very minor quibble, and that is that the scrambled eggs in the free breakfast weren't my favorite. That is the only issue I had and c'mon, it's a free full breakfast, so that's not a big deal. I am very happy and will stay again! I've paid a lot more and gotten a lot less :-)

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
hotel385, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites South, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

I would like to thank you for taking the time and posting a great review about the hotel. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us here and we look forward in welcoming you again when you next come to Calgary!

Reviewed 26 January 2014

Pros: Room was fairly clean, curtains closed all the way to block out light, the pool and slide looked pretty cool, wifi was free

Cons: Wifi was terrible. The connection dropped all the time, which made it really hard to work from the hotel. The hallways were dirty and not well maintained. Wallpaper was peeling off the walls.
They had a tag in the bathroom that asked us to hang our towels to be environmentally friendly. I hung up my towel everyday and they took my towel anyway 3/4 days at the hotel, and replaced my towel 2/4 days.
The breakfast was ok. Decent selection. The waffles were pretty good, but the scrambled eggs were disgusting. The orange juice was not great.
The neighborhood was not that great. Go down the road a bit and there's a much nicer area, but the area around the hotel, not so nice.
The workout room was more like a workout closet.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
hotel385, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites South, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Dear Natalie,
Thank you for staying with us. I am so sorry to hear that there were some parts of your stay that were not so enjoyable. We do provide a free wifi connection throughout the hotel and if you were having any dificulties staying connected we do provide a 24 hour technical support number which was located in the guest room directory, tent cards and also provided at time of check in,

We are in the last phase of completing our hallway renovations therefore you may have experienced some dust and wallpaper removed this is simply the stage of us preparing for the new wallpaper to be hung.

We have discussed your comments about the towels and has been addressed with the housekeeper cleaning your room.

I would like to apologize for any inconveniences caused during your stay with us and look forward in welcoming you back in the near future.