“Nice Little Suites”

Comfort Inn & Suites South
Ranked #78 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 31 August 2007

We were here for a 2-night mini-vacation in Calgary and wanted something inexpensive, on McLeod Trail, a suite so the kids could have some privacy and a pool for the kids. This hotel fit the bill on all counts - not a huge room by any means, but well laid-out and the pool/slide was great fun.

The A/C didn't seem to make it into the "living room" - our bedroom was nice and cool but it was a little warm in the living room. Pillows were in short supply too, but our housekeeper found us an extra one after the first night. The breakfast room was nice but a bit cramped for the amount of people using it, and probably needed to have more attendants refilling bread, cereal, juices, etc.

But overall, for the price it was quite nice. Yes it's a crummy part of town, but it's really close to a go-kart place and easy access to the rest of Calgary. Despite some other reviews we had no issues at all with housekeeping - our room was clean and well looked after.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family

Reviewed 26 July 2007

I realize we stayed over the Christmas holiday period, but there was no - absolutely no - excuse for the horrible conditions that we encountered during our stay. On a daily basis our rooms lacked towels and face cloths, and other amenities and the maid service was poor. The pull out hide-a-bed was filthy, with hundreds of sunflower seeds in and underneath the bed. The carpet in our room was dirty and the room in general needed a good cleaning. The continental breakfast area was lacklustre and of poor quality. On Christmas day they closed the breakfast area early, only to open it later for what apeared to be family members. As well, the management neglected to mention there would be NO maid service at all on XMas Day, so in addition to all of the above we had no towels or service on that day. The front desk staff was not equipped to handle regular requests from guests and often one young person was left alone to handle all hotel issues. My family and I would not stay at this hotel again. When management was contacted by us, their response was very poor. As regular visitors to Calgary, they have lost our business indefinately.

• Stayed: December 2006
1  Thank Scruggy
Reviewed 22 July 2007

We found this hotel to be quite adequate and convenient to the Calgary Stampede, downtown locations, and other attractions such as the zoo.The rooms were clean and the desk staff were extremely helpful when asked for any information or directions. I was not thrilled with this block of Macloud Trail but directly behind the hotel was a lovely neighborhood. Unfortunately in front of the hotel was a Hooters, liquor store and a money exchange/check cashing facility. Further down on this same Trail was a lovely mall and many of the large stores and restaurants found in most cities.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank newjerseyjane
Reviewed 20 July 2007

Since it was Stampede time, we were very limited as to choices when we booked up. However we were very happy to find a very clean and "new" hotel that was in reasonable proximity to the Stampede grounds (one train stop or walk). Overall very happy with our stay. Breakfast was a bonus, I didn't realize it was included. In addition to standard continental breakfast, you could make your own Belgian waffles. This was a hit with my daughter.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank dixiechick-TA
Reviewed 15 June 2007

I stayed here for 3 days in December '06, and the experience wasn't the best, nor was it the worst.

My room was clean when I arrived and my toiletries and towels were stocked every day. My only problem with the hotel was that none of the staff, including the manager, would help me with the wireless internet issues I was having, even though I paid for it.

I didn't find this hotel as bad as other people said it was, however, next time I'm in Calgary, I will probably stay at another hotel.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled solo
1  Thank ThisIsNotMe
Reviewed 7 May 2007

The hotel was dirty and the rooms were even worse. The beds were like sleeping on the floor. The noisy bar across the road will keep you up during the early morning hours. The front desk staff was very unprofessional. There are many better options available. Do not waste your money here.

Stayed: May 2007
2  Thank loisduke
Reviewed 10 December 2006

I stay for my work at least 100 days a year in hotels in Canada and the USA, but never had such a bad experience with the management of a hotel as here in Calgary. We had a unclean room (strange wet towels) and it was also very noisy. We complained to the reception and ask for the manager. The reception guy walked to the management discussed with thim and came back while saying the manager was not in and we were not able to change rooms or get any discount or cancel reservation. The manager was while he was saying that walking outside the room and we asked him if this is normal. He did not answer....

Unbelievable and really rude against your guests. I can advise everybody not to go to this corrupt , dirty and noisy hotel. There are many better options in the nice city of Calgary!

• Stayed: July 2005